11 days in Switzerland Aug/Sept, 2 adults/1 child

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2017 at 12:26:15 #813000

I would really appreciate your help/suggestion on some of the questions I have about our itinerary in Switzerland. I have to tried to ask my question in italics and am afraid they are quite a number.

We will be in Switzerland from 25th August to 4th September. We arrive at Zurich on 25th afternoon chk into our hotel which is near Shilcity. We plan to walk around Aldstadt. Is there anything in particular we should try to cover?

We are opting for 8 days Swiss rail Pass. We are two adults and one child (10 years).

-Can we buy the swiss rail pass in Zurich. Will we get the family card also so that we don’t have to buy the pass for our son? Is the cost same when bought online or at the train station/airport?

We do city tour on 26th morning. Afternoon we would like to go to Rhine falls.

How can we get to Rhinefall and back. Can it be done in half a day and what else can we cover while in Rhinefall area in half a days time?

On 27th We will take the train to Lucerne in the morning after breakfast and drop luggage at the hotel and go to one of the mountain tops. We are there for three nights. I would like to cover the following

1. Titlis

2. Pilatus

3. Rigi

4. Interlaken –JungfrauHoch

My question is which two of the first three I can do in one day so that I have full day to spend in Interlaken and do Jungfrauhoch? I have three days and four sites to cover.

On 30th we leave for Zermatt from Lucerne on Glacier express.

How do we go to Chur (starting point for the Glacier express) from Lucerne?

We will be doing Kleine Matterhorn.

What do you suggest we can do besides that? We can manage light hiking.

Where would it be best to do a boat ride covered by our swiss rail pass?

Can we reserve one day from Zermatt for Interlaken and if so what is the best route to take?

On 2nd September we are going to Geneva. We have two nights in Geneva.

Any suggestions for sightseeing Geneva?

Also we are planning to pick up a cuckoo clock from SwZ. which is the best place to buy it from in terms of price and money. Could you suggest a particular shop in any of the towns?

Thanks and cheers

Sabina

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2017 at 15:12:37 #868548

Hi Sabina,

I think in Zurich, the best option is to wander the old town. You could also look at a boat cruise on Lake Zurich.

You can visit the RheinFalls in 1/2 a day but you wouldn’t have time to do any other stops. The train stop you want is either Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall or Neuhausen Rheinfall.

Use the Swiss railways timetable here to plan your trips around Switzerland.

You can visit any 2 of the those 3 mountains (Rigi, Titlis or Pilatus) in one day. The timing would be quite similar.

Luzern (Lucerne in German) to Zermatt via the Glacier Express is very long day. Use the timetable link for your date of travel but Luzern to Chur is about 2.5 hours and then 8 hours on the Glacier Express.

For a list of activity suggestions in Zermatt click here and for Geneva click here.

Are you trying to visit Interlaken from Zermatt… but after you see Interlaken on your Jungfraujoch trip? Interlaken is not an exciting town. I would spend your time in Zermatt!

I don’t know much about Cuckcoo clocks unfortunately! Perhaps another member does.

Cheers!
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2017 at 2:22:13 #868549

>> Also we are planning to pick up a cuckoo clock from SwZ. which is the best place to buy it from in terms of price and money. Could you suggest a particular shop in any of the towns?

This link might help, but they will not be cheap:

loetscher.ch/retailers /

It might be useful to read these articles before buying a clock:

http://www.eda.admin.ch/about switzerland/en/home/do ssiers/einleitung—schweizer-uhren/spezielle-uhren–die-kuckucksuhr-.html

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/g oing-cuckoo-about-real-swiss-cuckoo-clocks/681210

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2017 at 9:17:31 #868550

Hi Lucas,

thanks a lot for your reply. The forum has been so useful for me to plan our trip well. I have one question, there are multiple places we can buy the 8day Swiss rail pass from the official SBB , as well as from Happy rail, online. does it make a difference where we buy the pass from..Does its validity as STP around Switzerland remains the same?

I plan to but today online as we are travelling to Switzerland on 25th August, so that we can get online passes to print out.

thanks once again and looking forward to our holiday

Sabina

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2017 at 12:56:14 #868551

Hi Sabina,

No, who you buy it from does not matter – it is the exact same product. There retailers here, are you re recommend and all can send it to you by email within 3 business days (usually 1 day).

Prices are quite similar as well, sometimes fluctuating depending on where you buy them from and in what currency.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2017 at 16:53:01 #868552

Hi Lucas, thanks for your reply. I tried booking our Swiss travel pass for 8 consecutive days through happy rail, but something is wrong. I am not able to fill the cart even after filling in all the details of all three travellers. What could be the issue.

Thanks for your help.

Sabina

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2017 at 5:53:50 #868553

I am not sure. I haven’t heard of this issue before.

Perhaps it is a website glitch? If it still isn’t working perhaps try using Swiss Railways?

Lucas

Arno
    15483 posts
    21 August 2017 at 9:40:50 #868554

Hi Sabina,

On http://www.happyrail.com/en/p ass/europe/switzerland /swiss-travel-pass-consecutive, did you click the price of the pass duration and class that you want? Only then the Pay button becomes available, which adds your purchase to the cart.

• The thread ‘11 days in Switzerland Aug/Sept, 2 adults/1 child’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.