Hello fellow travellers,
I will be travelling with my wife to Switzerland from Mannheim, Germany in July for 4 days. My tentative itineraries look like the following :
DAY 0 (14/07/07): Start at 21:50 by Bus from Mannheim to Zurich. Reach Zurich by 3:25 am(15/07).
DAY 1 (15/07/07): Reach Zurich at 03:25. Buy Swiss Travel Pass. Start for Lucerne from Zurich at 5:35 and reach at 6:25. Check in at hotel in Lucerne. Local sightseeing in Lucerne. Mt. Pilatus, Wooden Bridge, Evening Boat ride.
DAY 2 (16/07/07): Take Golden Pass route train from Lucerne to Montreux. Come back to Lucerne on the same day at night. Stay at Lucerne.
DAY 3 (17/07/07): Take train to Interlaken, Visit Grindelward and Jungfrau region. Back to Lucerne at night. Stay at Lucerne.
DAY 4 (18/07/07): Visit to Mount titlis
21:00 train from Lucerne to Basel.
23:00 train from Basel to Frankfurt.
For this itinerary, I have the following queries.
1. On Day 1, for local sightseeing, please advise other places.
2. Will the Swiss Pass cover the Day 2 Golden Pass travel ? Will the coming back journey be also covered by Swiss Pass? Where do I get details of trains for Golden pass travel back and forth from Lucerne. Can I also do local sightseeing on that day in Montreux? Where can I roam around in Montreux?
3. From Interlaken, whether Grindelward will be best to travel or should I travel somewhere else? I assume travel upto Interlaken/Gridelward will be covered by Swiss pass. How much will be the extra cost for mountain visit in Jungfrau.
4. Also, please let me know which all places I should avoid if rain forecast is there and what all alternate places I can travel on those days?
5. Can I get decent hotels in Lucerne within 100 euro?
6. My budget is around 1500 euro including stay/travel/food for 2. We do not wish to spend much on food. Can I cover this itinerary with this budget?
Your help will be hugely appreciated.