Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  8 days over Easter France/Switzerland by car/train

8 days over Easter France/Switzerland by car/train

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Loriloris
Loriloris
2 posts
Jan 14, 2020 - 1:06 AM

Hello everyone,

I am so excited to have found this site. :) What a wonderful resource for trip planning.

I would love to get some advice on my proposed itinerary for this coming April for Easter break 11th - 19th. It is myself my husband and our son who will be 17. I have a bit of a plan ... then it all gets fuzzy in my head. Lol

SAT

Arrive Zürich morning of 4/11. The first night we plan to stay overnight in Zürich...it is a Saturday night, we can recoup from the long flight, do a little sightseeing, shop, eat a good meal and sleep well. The next morning rent a car and be on our way at our leisure. (Can you rent cars on Easter Sunday ! )

SUN -TUES

Drive... head to Colmar France. We want to make a quick France stop to visit a winery and see the Colmar and Stroudsburg area for two nights. The area looks picture-perfect and it is only a 2 1/2 hour drive... Plus it gives us an opportunity to take a scenic drive and explore.

This isn’t a France board so I won’t ask for recommendations here.

TUES- Back into Switzerland... perhaps to Basel to drop the Car and board a Train? Is this a good place to board a train .... I’d love some scenic views...

Sooo big dilemma now .... where do I go..... I have 3 full days left...

Original thought was take train at Basel and do the Interlaken area...staying possibly Lauterbrunnen or Muren.. but is it true the town is closed mostly in April ?? We would arrive the week after Easter.

BTW We are not Skiers .. we love a good hike, snow tubing and but are more mild adventure seekers. Would love to see Glaciers, waterfalls etc.

Another thought would be the Lucerne area.. but we kinda want to feel immersed in the Alps... I read it’s more like a valley and greenery here..

We are open to other options... but these two destinations came up on my radar and from my research seem like places we shouldn’t miss.

I technically could also reverse the plan around and goto Interlaken area first by train from Zürich if this makes sense with Easter.... but it seemed France first was a little easier with car... now I’m not sure if Easter will interfere.

SAT - We fly out Sunday from Zurich so need to be back there by Saturday night.

Thanks so much for any thoughts... my mind feels kinda dizzy with ideas. 8)

Lori

gramels
gramels
25 posts
Jan 14, 2020 - 9:26 AM

For the scenic drive Basel to Colmar, you could drive aling the rims of the Rhine valley through the vineyards on the german side. Basel - Weil - Sulzburg - Staufen - Breisach - Colmar .

For immerse into the alps, also Rigi is always a option.

Take a train to Lucerne, a boat across the lake and the train up to mount Rigi.

Steph
Steph
2108 posts
top member &
Jan 14, 2020 - 3:19 PM in reply to Loriloris

Hello Lori and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Nice to hear you're so excited about coming to Switzerland (and France).

Easter Sunday is an official holiday in Switzerland, but at the airport and larger car rental places you shouldn't have any difficulties renting a car. See below for details:
- www.myswissalps.com/car/carrental
- www.myswissalps.com/car

I personally use below page for planning my trips by car.
- www.viamichelin.com

The Easter weekend is in a still rather quiet time of the year, but a popular holiday time also for locals so normally a quite well travelled weekend.
- www.myswissalps.com/besttimetovisit

The good thing about Switzerland is, it's so small, you can practically reach any destination you wish for the last few days from any corner of the country. Find some inspiration with regards to regions below and also make sure you get familiar with the timetable to support your planning:
- www.myswissalps.com/wheretogo
- www.myswissalps.com/timetable

The inputs by gramels are for sure worth considering, whereas I must make one comment here, Mount Rigi does NOT belong to the Alps, but it has fantastic views INTO the Alps.
- www.myswissalps.com/rigi
- www.myswissalps.com/lucerne

Happy planning and get back to us anytime for further support.

Best,
Steph

Loriloris
Loriloris
2 posts
Jan 20, 2020 - 2:43 AM in reply to gramels

Thank you both for all the great links and ideas . I have been researching and making notes and will continue. I do see that it is not quite far to get anywhere... so it’s just about making the best use of time to do all we’d like. I still need to decide where to spend the last 3 days or so..

I have at least booked Zürichs hotel on the arrival day and day before departure. I chose the Hyatt Park... I’m hoping this property is in a good spot to easily get around. It looks beautiful.

The more I read the more things I want to do !

Steph
Steph
2108 posts
top member &
Jan 20, 2020 - 6:37 AM in reply to Loriloris

Hello Lori,

You're welcome. As you seem to be in search of a more detailed suggestion, you could head from Basel in direction Bernese Oberland for smaller villages or as you say Lucerne for a bit more of city feeling (only a bit, there's 80'000 people living in that "city").
- www.myswissalps.com/berneseoberland
- www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion
- www.myswissalps.com/interlaken
- www.myswissalps.com/lucerne
- www.myswissalps.com/centralswitzerland

Lucerne is less surrounded by mountains than e.g. Interlaken, as it's located on the Lake of Lucerne, but there are mountains in the region of Lucerne, e.g. Mount Pilatus, the local mountain.
- www.myswissalps.com/pilatus

Hope this provides some guidance. Use the timetable of my first answer to find out about travelling times, etc.

Best,
Steph

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020