Switzerland early Nov for mountains, hikes, cities

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2019 at 16:55:23 #822751

My boyfriend and I will be traveling to Zurich and renting a car Oct 29 – Nov 12. We know the weather is colder and not as much tourist attractions are open, but we want to get the most out of our two weeks! I’d love to spend a lot of time in the mountains, hike and visit cities. Will we be able What kind of route would be ideal?? We plan on staying at AirB&B’s, which I can see are mostly everywhere. Any suggestions help! Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 July 2019 at 8:36:56 #917369

Hi Sarahchamb31,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Indeed November is not the best month to visit Switzerland (http://www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit), but there are still plenty of options. Do take into account that there’s often fog in lower altitudes, and sunrise is late and sunset early. But you can still have wonderful sunny days, it’s just not a guarantee.

It’s hard to recommend a route as there are so many options. You could even stay in one central place and do day trips from there. Personally I would not rent a car. Public transport is excellent and safe, and generally gets you to more places than a car. It’s also more flexible as you won’t have parking issues, and no need to return to where you parked your car for the day. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/ca rversustrain.

Further information to get started with your planning is here:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2019 at 16:19:53 #917370

Thanks so much! After reading this and a little more, I think we will avoid the car. Would you recommend the Swiss Pass? We’d like to see Lucerne, hopefully trek a bit around lake Thun if the weathers nice, Zermott, Geneva, Basel, and Zurich – wondering if the pass would be worth our while. Looks like it includes quite a bit, but would be double what renting a car costs considering having to get two tickets.

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 July 2019 at 19:32:20 #917371

Hi Sarahchamb31,

The costs of a pass may seem high, but do note that the costs of a rental car is only a part of what you will be spending: add fuel, parking costs and tickets for boats/cable cars/mountain railways to scenic places you can’t reach by car. Without a pass that adds up real quick, depending on where you go of course. People who drive usually buy a Swiss Half Fare Card to save on that: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard. Apart from that, I recommend the trains because it’s more relaxed, safe, eco-friendly, and more flexible in a lot of cases. There can be reasons to rent a car, but the destinations you listed are best done without a car.

The Swiss Travel Pass includes a lot for free, even museums. To compare your options and estimate costs, please take a look here:

• The thread ‘Switzerland early Nov for mountains, hikes, cities’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.