Itinerary help – 10 nights in Switzerland in March

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 January 2018 at 20:41:42 #814081

Hi,

I would be traveling to Switzerland with my wife from 14th to 24thMarch. It’s our honeymoon trip.

After some research we hve made the following itinerary:

Day 1: Land in Zurich by 7pm. Overnight in Zurich.

Day2: Breakfast nd then go for Zurich city trolley tour.

Then leave for Lucerne by 1pm.

Visit Lake Lucerne, Wooden bridge, Lion monument etc.

Day3: After breakfast Excursion to Mt. Titlis.

Day4: After breakfast travel to Zermatt.

( Can we use Glacier Express for this?)

‎City exploration. Ride in Gornergrat train.

‎Is there anything else in particular tht we are missing out worthwhile? Kindly Suggest.

Day5: Visit Matterhorn.

Day6: Breakfast nd then Zermatt to Gstaad.

Leisure & Some City Exploration in Gstaad.

Day7: Glacier 3000 for its peak walk and alpine coaster ride.

Day8: Gstaad to Interlaken by the Golden Pass Line. Visit Lake Brienz- jet boat ride etc.

Any must go places here?

Day9: Excursion to Mt.Jungfraujoch.

Day10: Trummelbach waterfalls Or Leukerbad Therme Centre + Some adventure activities like paragliding etc in Interlaken. I dont think we would b able to cover all three things in one day.

So Trummelbach falls or Therm Centre?

Day11: Breakfast. Checkout by 10. Visit Murren nd do some exploration. Leave for Zurich airport by 5pm.

Catch Flight back home at 9.30pm.

Again looking for suggestion for some Must Visit/ do things in Murren or around.

We have thought of going for the Swiss Travel Pass of 15 days for travelling purposes.

And following are our hotels where we plan to stay

Had a few doubts. Would be really grateful if you could help me out with it and also help me better the internary.

1. We are pure Vegetarians ( not even eggs). Not sure about the availability of Vegetarian in the places we plan to visit namely Zurich, Lucerne, Gstaad, Interlaken, Murren.

Will it be a difficult task to find vegetarian food in these places? Any suugestions?

2. Stay in Interlaken Or Stay in Murren Or Stay in Grindelwald Or Stay in Wengen?

We have read on many forums that Murren, Grindelwald, Wengen are more beautiful and scenic then Interlaken which is more on the commercial side. So since its our honeymoon trip we are keen on staying in a scenic and a romantic place but again not sure about the Vegan food availability and also the connectivity from the above places to the places around. Which one should we go for?

Will we miss out on something that worthwhile if we stay in Interlaken?

3. ‎Adveture Sports? Where should we go for adventure activities? Kindly suggest. Interlaken or Murren or any other place around?

Where are the best adverture activities taking place? If possible we wish to go for Skydiving also. Is it worth the money here? Or we should just go for Paragliding and other activities?

5. Is Zurich trolley ride good enough or can we skip that and cover something else instead like Rhine waterfall or blackforest in the limited time that we would have in Zurich(12-5pm)

6. Are the hotels mentioned in the itinerary good enough or can one recommend better hotels of similar monetary range?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2018 at 18:52:39 #874614

Hi KapilPT and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I’ll try to answer your questions here in order. 🙂 FYI March is still ski season in the mountains and a lot of non-skiing activities are not operating.

1. You can travel on a bit of the Glacier Express route from Luzern. You travel Luzern to Andermatt and the Zermatt. Then you can be on the route and if lucky with your timing you could also be on the Glacier Express panorama train.
    2. You can’t visit the Matterhorn. You can go to Gornergrat or Klein Matterhorn for activities and views of the Matterhorn. For suggestions on what to do around Zermatt visit out Zermatt page here.
    3. I’d normally suggest Brienzer Rorhorn near Lake Brienz but it isn’t operating in March – you may find this an issue for your trip.
    4. Trummelback Falls aren’t open so Thermal bath it is! My pick anyway. 🙂
    5. Vegetarian restaurants in larger towns (Zurich, Luzern) won’t be an issue. Hiltl in Zurich is Europe’s oldest vegetarian restaurant for example. You’ll want to contact your hotels to confirm what they can do for you just to be safe.
    6. I would choose between Murren or Wengen. You can always go grocery shopping for some Vegan options(?) if the restaurants can’t handle your requests.
    7. Here are some adventure companies to look into: Helicopter skydiving, paragliding & bungy jumping. Again though March isn’t a good time often for these activities. I’m not sure if they operate in March.
    8. I probably wouldn’t do the Zurich Trolley ride but I prefer to explore most towns on my own – especially small towns like Zurich (big for Switzerland only!)

I didn’t catch the hotels you were staying at in your post. We do have a list of suggested hotels for each town though. You can find the town information pages here & more details on Swiss accommodation here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2018 at 17:29:15 #874615

Thank you Lucas for the help. It indeed helped in clearing most of our doubts.

1. Like you suggested we would prefer Wengen or Mürren on the basis of its connectivity from Interlaken. Have downloaded the Sbb app to understand the rail routes of Swiss but still not sure of which one to pick between the two in terms of higher train frequency and lesser travel time in Interlaken.

2. Also i went through the cities links on this website and pretty got an idea of things to do in each city but if you could please help us from your side with the ‘must do’ things or places that we haven’t covered in the Itinerary in the cities we are traveling (any museums lakes mountains train journeys or chocolate factory or falls or historical places or alike)?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2018 at 19:33:06 #874616
    1. Currently, the SBB timetablehas Interlaken to Wengen at about every 30 minutes by train (taking 40 minutes with 1 connection). Interlaken to Murren is also about every 30 minutes (but takes closer to 60 minutes with 2 connections). If the connectivity is an issue Wengen wins.
    2. Everyone is different on must-sees! Personally for me, the must-sees in Switzerland are Jungfraujoch or Schilthorn and the Matterhorn in Zermatt for mountains. Lake cruises and hiking trips that are popular are mostly closed in March so its tough to do a lot of things Switzerland is famous for when you are here.
      Perhaps the Gruyeres cheese factory or Cailler chocolate factory could be fun as well! I haven’t been to either though.

I’m sure other members will chime in on their thoughts too to help you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2018 at 19:11:28 #874617

Thanks Lucas. We greatly appreciate your help..

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 January 2018 at 5:43:00 #874618

>> Is Zurich trolley ride good enough or can we skip that and cover something else instead

Personally I wouldn’t bother with this, as the nicest parts of Zürich (in my opinion) are the pedestrian zones of the old city.

The old town is on both sides of the River Limmat. You can download a PDF of a map with a city walk marked on it from the link below. It’s the first document, and the file name is 161219_Low_Stadtplan_2016_680x424_EN.pdf

http://www.zuerich.com/en/vis it/zurich-brochures

Just to give you an idea of distance, from the Münster Brücke back to the station along Niederdorfstrasse takes around 15-20 minutes.

Rick Steves also has a good self-guided walk in his Switzerland travel guide.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 January 2018 at 8:13:20 #874619

We’ve got a free, self-guided walking tour noted on our Zurich page too! 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2018 at 4:35:25 #874620

>> We’ve got a free, self-guided walking tour noted on our Zurich page too

Thanks Lucas – I’ve made a note of that 🙂

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Itinerary help – 10 nights in Switzerland in March’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.