About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Questions about Swiss railpasses
MySwissAlps features commercial and non-commercial links.

Questions about Swiss railpasses

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Nitin100
Nitin100
3 posts
Nov 20, 2021 - 4:08 PM

Hello

We have planned our itinerary as Day 1-5 in Switzerland and Day 12-15 back in Switzerland. Day 5-11 are outside Switzerland.

Based on the excel calculator, it seems Half fare Card is the most viable option for us (2 adults+ 3 kids).

My questions are -

a) On SBB mobile app, most of the time, point to point ticket is more expensive than that of saver day pass. The day pass says its valid only on GA(whats GA). So, if If I plan properly(and buy swiss half pass with family card)

Day 1 is Zurich-Interlaken - I buy day pass.

Day 2 is Interlaken-Jungfrauch - Same - I buy day pass.

Day 3 is break (or day 2 shifted here if bad weather)

Day 4 is Interlaken -Chur- I buy day pass(and Glacier Res)

Day 5 is Chur-Tirano -I buy day pass (and reservation)

Day 12-14 -our base is Basel and will do Rigo lake.

So- is my understanding correct-I buy half fare card, and buy day pass of that day - and it becomes Swiss pass?

(Sorry but for an outsider - Swiss pass system is NOT simple but a maze of terms of conditions which I cannot undertstand)

Anna
Anna
1705 posts
top member &
Nov 20, 2021 - 7:11 PM in reply to Nitin100

Hi Nitin100,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

For your information, the Swiss Pass is only for residents. I think you are referring to the Swiss Travel Pass. This is a railpass designed especially for tourists who would like to explore Switzerland by train and other modes of public transport. If you have a Swiss Travel Pass, there is no need to buy additional tickets for each trip, unless you are travelling on mountain railways or cable cars (in which case you only need to pay half price). You can find more details here: www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass

Based on your itinerary, the Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Travel Pass Flex might make more sense than the Swiss Half Fare Card. With a Swiss Travel Pass or STP Flex, you'll also get a complimentary Swiss Family Card which allows your children to travel along for free.

Hope this addresses your confusion. Let us know if you need more information.

Regards,

Anna

1960man
1960man
2906 posts
top member
Nov 20, 2021 - 11:27 PM in reply to Anna

Sorry Anna, but I think you have added to the confusion. I think you have read Nitin100 comment "I buy day pass" as needing to buy additional tickets, which is not the case IMO. I think Nitin100 had actually understood the half fare card quite well, and "I buy day pass" means he/she will get a Saver Day Pas for that day at the discount price applicable to holders of a Swiss Half Fare Card, which is a logical plan

1960man
1960man
2906 posts
top member
Nov 20, 2021 - 11:34 PM in reply to Nitin100

The day pass says its valid only on GA (whats GA). So, if If I plan properly(and buy swiss half pass with family card)

GA stands for 'GeneralAbonnement' purely translated as 'General Subscription'. This is the basis for all the National network travel passes in Switzerland, based on the original system where by Swiss residents could buy an annual go anywhere pass for the whole Swiss Travel System (ie the 'GA area')

So- is my understanding correct-I buy half fare card, and buy day pass of that day - and it becomes Swiss pass?

Effectively yes. As I posted on another thread the other day, a Saver Day Pass effectively becomes a '1 day Swiss Travel Pass' (not Swiss Pass as per other discussion!)

(Sorry but for an outsider - Swiss pass system is NOT simple but a maze of terms of conditions which I cannot undertstand)

I agree the Swiss Pass system is confusing. It really annoys me that the Swiss decided to have this Swiss residents card called a 'Swiss Pass' and then expect tourists to understand that they shouldn't say 'Swiss Pass' but 'Swiss Travel Pass' (in the old days the tourist pass WAS called the Swiss Pass (and before that when I first had one in 1973 the 'Swiss Holiday Card')

Last modified on Nov 20, 2021 - 11:35 PM by 1960man
Nitin100
Nitin100
3 posts
Nov 21, 2021 - 2:56 AM in reply to 1960man

1960man- You have understood my wording correctly. I have used the terms Swiss pass = Swiss Travel Pass, and half pass = Swiss half fare pass.

Since I will be using Swiss Half fare pass, I was thinking that I will buy saver day pass almost every day (which is available for half pass holders at approx half price) and not touch the ticket counters(or SBB mobile).

Ana - The family pass is available with Swiss half pass too.

In the excel sheet, the whole calculation falls apart because Jungfrau gives only 25% discount to Savers, but 50% to half pass. I will not buy the day pass that day. Is my plan workable (We are a group of few families - and the 50CHF for each adult quickly adds up)

Anna
Anna
1705 posts
top member &
Nov 21, 2021 - 9:37 AM in reply to Nitin100

Hi again,

Sorry for the confusion.

Yes, if you get the Saver Day Pass, you can use this for the whole day much like a Swiss Travel Pass. However, the Saver Day Pass is not valid on most mountain transportation. So if you plan a mountain excursion such as to Jungfraujoch, you can use the Swiss Half Fare Card to get discounted travel.

For more details about the Saver Day Pass: www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass

Hope this answers your question.

Regards

Anna

Nitin100
Nitin100
3 posts
Nov 21, 2021 - 10:10 AM in reply to Anna

Hello Anna

This pass system is absolute maze. It has opened up new questions.

Saver day pass (when bought with Half day) is ALMOST equivalent to Swiss Pass for that - The only difference being its not valid on mountain rails.

So, what if I buy 1 day travel pass (Its discounted too for Half pass holders?). I saw mention of 1 day travel pass on your site - I cannot see it on SBB mobile. Its valid on mountain rails?

Annika
Annika
6678 posts
expert &
Nov 21, 2021 - 11:58 AM in reply to Nitin100

Hi Nitin100!

Yes, the rail passes can be confusing, as some names look a lot alike. The ones most used by tourists can be found through www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses. And the difference between the Swiss Travel Pass and the SwissPass is explained here: www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/swisspass.

This page provides a step-by-step explanation on how to find the pass that suits your plans: www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass. You can download a quick comparison overview and a calculation sheet there as well - but I think you already used it, right?

Some more details:

• The 1-day Travelpass is explained here: www.myswissalps.com/onedaytravelpass. You can click the "Price" tab for retailers and the "Validity" tab to find out where it's valid. Just as the Saver Day Pass, it doesn't cover most mountain transportation. There are a few exceptions. But again, you can use your Swiss Half Fare Card for discounted mountain visits.

Last but not least:

Last modified on Nov 21, 2021 - 6:42 PM by Annika

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More

Swiss Travel Pass promotion: 25% discount
Available until 11 December 2021. Book 11 months in advance. Free cancellation.
https://shop.switzerlandtravelcentre.com/#/en/home.

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2021