Itinerary help for Switzerland in September 2017

• jonathanfoo
    Participant
    11 posts
    13 August 2017 at 7:36:02 #812939

Good day everyone!

Would like to verify my itinerary to Switzerland in September 2017.

Day 1 – Arrive in Zurich

Day 2 – Go Zermatt via Chur and the Glacier Express.

Day 3 – Zermatt: Visit Gornergrat and Matterhorn Glacier Paradise

Day 4 – Depart Zermatt for Montreux

Day 5 – Montreux.

Day 6 – Depart Montreux for Grindelwald.

Day 7 – 8: Jungfrau region

Day 9 – Depart Grindelwald for Lugano.

Day 10 – Morning spent in Lugano. Late afternoon depart for Zurich

Day 11 – Depart Zurich for home (early morning departure)

My main enquiry is whether it is worth visiting Lugano. It is quite a long trip from Grindelwald to Lugano with at least 3 train switches and an approximate 6 hour journey.

Am considering extending my stay in the Jungfrau region from 3 nights to 4 nights instead. Is that a better choice? Would I be staying too long in the Jungfrau region?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2017 at 8:36:13 #868257

Hi Jonathon,

I agree with your thought, I don’t think it is worth trying to squeeze in a trip to Lugano and I would think you would enjoy an extra night in the Jungfrau region. There is a lot of hikes and landscapes to enjoy there for a few weeks!

Unless there is something specific you want/need to see in Lugano?

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2017 at 10:20:37 #868258

Hello , Visiting Lugano only is not a good idea..

I suggest you to Add Lucerne, it’s worth a visit with 3-4 must visit places, “

If you can reschedule it suggest it this way-

LUCERNE – INTERLAKEN- ZERMATT – MONTREUX – to ZURICH VIA BERN , Spend 2 Days in ZURICH and you can plan departure.

You can spend 2 days at each location .

jonathanfoo
    Participant
    11 posts
    13 August 2017 at 11:13:26 #868259

Thanks for replying Lucas.

Had considered Lugano / the Ticino region as it was featured in our local paper http://www.straitstimes.com/l ifestyle/travel/swiss-with-a-touch-of-italian . They had interviewed the Swiss ambassador to Singapore. But I only have 1 night to spare. The main highlight of our trip is still the Swiss Alps.

For Lugano, was thinking of visiting Gandria, Monte Bre and Monte San Salvatore? Or if we had already travelled to the Bernese Oberland and Montreux, would this “scenery” at Lugano appear “inferior”?

jonathanfoo
    Participant
    11 posts
    13 August 2017 at 11:17:59 #868260

Thanks for replying Highflyer.

This is my third time and my parents’ second time to Switzerland. We went on a Europe tour 5 years ago which covered Bern, Lucerne and Geneva. So we don’t really intend to go to the places that we’ve been before.

I travelled to Zurich, Zermatt, Grindelwald (and of course Jungfraujoch, Schilthorn, Lauterbrunnen) and Basel in May 2017 alone. I am bringing my folks along with me this time so they suggest we go to some places that I’ve never been before to. That’s why I thought of Montreux and Lugano.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2017 at 15:40:08 #868261

I haven’t been to Lugano myself, but I don’t think you would be unhappy with the scenery!

If this is your parents first time here I would add the extra night in Grindelwald. The Ticino region is great but maybe not worth it for 1 night (to just get a quick peak). I would choose between Lugano and Montreux personally.

Your plan:

1. ZurichZermatt (via Chur) – MontreuxGrindelwald – Zurich

Or if you want to fit in Lugano, skip 1st night in Zurich and do 1st night in Chur:

1. Zurich – Chur – Lugano – Zermatt – Grindelwald – Zurich

You can get off the Glacier Express in Andermatt and go down to Lugano. To get to Zermatt from Lugano either go back to Andermatt or cut across (Locarno, Domodossola and Brig).

Just a thought…don’t want to give you too many options! 🙂

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2017 at 12:25:17 #868262

Seems like you are truly in alove with Switzerland…. thats great….

in case you are going to lugano , add ASCONA it will be a nice combo… and new location too.

all the best for your tour, have a nice one….

jonathanfoo
    Participant
    11 posts
    20 August 2017 at 0:59:37 #868263

Thank you. We have decided to extend our stay in Grindelwald and see Montreux this time.

Perhaps Lugano and Ascona for another time. 😉

• The thread ‘Itinerary help for Switzerland in September 2017’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.