Itinerary help for Switzerland in September 2017

Itinerary help for Switzerland in September 2017

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
jonathanfoo
jonathanfoo
10 posts
Aug 13, 2017 - 7:36 AM

Good day everyone!

Would like to verify my itinerary to Switzerland in September 2017.

Day 1 - Arrive in Zurich

Day 2 - Go Zermatt via Chur and the Glacier Express.

Day 3 - Zermatt: Visit Gornergrat and Matterhorn Glacier Paradise

Day 4 - Depart Zermatt for Montreux

Day 5 - Montreux.

Day 6 - Depart Montreux for Grindelwald.

Day 7 - 8: Jungfrau region

Day 9 - Depart Grindelwald for Lugano.

Day 10 - Morning spent in Lugano. Late afternoon depart for Zurich

Day 11 - Depart Zurich for home (early morning departure)

My main enquiry is whether it is worth visiting Lugano. It is quite a long trip from Grindelwald to Lugano with at least 3 train switches and an approximate 6 hour journey.

Am considering extending my stay in the Jungfrau region from 3 nights to 4 nights instead. Is that a better choice? Would I be staying too long in the Jungfrau region?

Lucas
Lucas
8830 posts
expert &
Aug 13, 2017 - 8:36 AM in reply to jonathanfoo

Hi Jonathon,

I agree with your thought, I don't think it is worth trying to squeeze in a trip to Lugano and I would think you would enjoy an extra night in the Jungfrau region. There is a lot of hikes and landscapes to enjoy there for a few weeks!

Unless there is something specific you want/need to see in Lugano?

Lucas

HIGHFLYER
HIGHFLYER
3 posts
Aug 13, 2017 - 10:20 AM

Hello , Visiting Lugano only is not a good idea..

I suggest you to Add Lucerne, it's worth a visit with 3-4 must visit places, "

If you can reschedule it suggest it this way-

LUCERNE - INTERLAKEN- ZERMATT - MONTREUX - to ZURICH VIA BERN , Spend 2 Days in ZURICH and you can plan departure.

You can spend 2 days at each location .

jonathanfoo
jonathanfoo
10 posts
Aug 13, 2017 - 11:13 AM in reply to Lucas

Thanks for replying Lucas.

Had considered Lugano / the Ticino region as it was featured in our local paper www.straitstimes.com/l ifestyle/travel/swiss-with-a-touch-of-italian . They had interviewed the Swiss ambassador to Singapore. But I only have 1 night to spare. The main highlight of our trip is still the Swiss Alps.

For Lugano, was thinking of visiting Gandria, Monte Bre and Monte San Salvatore? Or if we had already travelled to the Bernese Oberland and Montreux, would this "scenery" at Lugano appear "inferior"?

Last modified on Aug 13, 2017 - 11:20 AM by jonathanfoo
jonathanfoo
jonathanfoo
10 posts
Aug 13, 2017 - 11:17 AM in reply to HIGHFLYER

Thanks for replying Highflyer.

This is my third time and my parents' second time to Switzerland. We went on a Europe tour 5 years ago which covered Bern, Lucerne and Geneva. So we don't really intend to go to the places that we've been before.

I travelled to Zurich, Zermatt, Grindelwald (and of course Jungfraujoch, Schilthorn, Lauterbrunnen) and Basel in May 2017 alone. I am bringing my folks along with me this time so they suggest we go to some places that I've never been before to. That's why I thought of Montreux and Lugano.

Lucas
Lucas
8830 posts
expert &
Aug 13, 2017 - 3:40 PM in reply to jonathanfoo

I haven't been to Lugano myself, but I don't think you would be unhappy with the scenery!

If this is your parents first time here I would add the extra night in Grindelwald. The Ticino region is great but maybe not worth it for 1 night (to just get a quick peak). I would choose between Lugano and Montreux personally.

Your plan:

1. Zurich - Zermatt (via Chur) - Montreux - Grindelwald - Zurich

Or if you want to fit in Lugano, skip 1st night in Zurich and do 1st night in Chur:

1. Zurich - Chur - Lugano - Zermatt - Grindelwald - Zurich

You can get off the Glacier Express in Andermatt and go down to Lugano. To get to Zermatt from Lugano either go back to Andermatt or cut across (Locarno, Domodossola and Brig).

Just a thought...don't want to give you too many options! :)

Lucas

Last modified on Aug 13, 2017 - 3:41 PM by Lucas
HIGHFLYER
HIGHFLYER
3 posts
Aug 14, 2017 - 12:25 PM in reply to jonathanfoo

Seems like you are truly in alove with Switzerland.... thats great....

in case you are going to lugano , add ASCONA it will be a nice combo... and new location too.

all the best for your tour, have a nice one....

jonathanfoo
jonathanfoo
10 posts
Aug 20, 2017 - 12:59 AM

Thank you. We have decided to extend our stay in Grindelwald and see Montreux this time.

Perhaps Lugano and Ascona for another time. ;)

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018