8 day Swiss itinerary May 2018 – flying to Italy

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2018 at 4:33:47 #815944

Me and my husband are visiting Switzerland for 8 days in May end. Our itinerary is as below:

25-28 May- We will be staying in Lucerne for 4 nights and plan to visit Mount Titlis, Rigi, Pilatus and Jung do walking trails. Hotels are booked.

29May- 1st June – Planning to move to second base- Wengen to visit – Jungfraujoch- Top of Europe, Schilthorn and Schynige Platte. I haven’t not booked the hotel yet

I need suggestion with regards to my second base and things I covering. Can they be changed to cover other things.

Also I need help with the train to Italy as from Switzerland I am going to Italy. Is it possible to take train from Wengen to Chur and from there I take the Bernia express to Tirano. I belive this whole journey will be around 8 hours. Can there another better route?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 May 2018 at 5:51:53 #885096

What part of Italy are you going to?

The Bernina Express departs Chur around 8:30 am so it is not possible to catch that from Wengen. You would probably need to overnight in Chur.

If your enter Wengen to “Italian Destination” in the SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) it will show you the fastest route.

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass it will cover your travel to the Swiss Border although the Bernina Express also requires an additional reservation fee. Regular trains on the same route don’t need reservations. You will need an Italian ticket and seat reservation from the border to your destination. Also see http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy.

While in Lucerne what do you mean by “Jung”?

Wengen is a nice base for the Jungfrau Region where you will find plenty to occupy you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2018 at 10:31:07 #885097

Apologies- Jung is a type error there, just meant do walking trails.

Doing Wengen for 3 nights, will that be enough for the places mentioned.

Should I have an overnight stay in Chur or St Moritz? For reaching St Moritz I believe I have to take the glacier express . Please suggest. Whcih one would be better logistically and for scenic views as well.

Also for connection from Warren to Chur or St Moritz, is it a single track or do i have to change tracks? Asking this since I would be travelling with 2 luggage bags.

Same track question for Bernia Express to Tirano.

I have to visit Venice, Florence, Pisa and Rome. Rome has to be in the last as I am flying out from Rome. Can you suggest how to get connected to these cities from Warren, flexible to visit in any order, only Rome at the end.

Kindly clarify on the above points.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 May 2018 at 10:41:51 #885098

I have to visit Venice, Florence, Pisa and Rome. Rome has to be in the last as I am flying out from Rome. Can you suggest how to get connected to these cities from Warren, flexible to visit in any order, only Rome at the end.

Sorry but we only provide advice for Switzerland here.

For the rest of your trip you really need to check the SBB timetable that I linked to before to work out whether there are train changes on the routes that you want to follow.

Given the amount of time you have I would forget about the Glacier and Bernina Express routes and go to Venice from Wengen.

If you have plenty of time to get from Wengen to Venice you can go from Wengen to Brig to catch the Glacier Express to Chur or St Moritz. Next day you can take Bernina Express to Tirano then Italian train to Milan and on to Venice. Both the Express trains need reservations.

See http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2018 at 11:58:38 #885099

Which one would be better Chur or St Moritz?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2018 at 19:01:29 #885100

My choice would be St. Moritz.

• The thread ‘8 day Swiss itinerary May 2018 – flying to Italy’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.