Itinerary review -7d- Zurich to Wengen to Lausanne

• Crabcooker
    Participant
    6 posts
    1 July 2022 at 20:02:36 #827660

Hello everyone,

Hoping to have some input to see if we have a decent itinerary before finalizing flights:

My wife and I (Age: early 30s) are planning to travel August 07, 2022 – August 13, 2022. We are making this trip Bernese Oberland-centric as we love hiking and have limited time, but also wanted to include a little flavor of the bigger cities near the start and end of the trip.

Day 1 — 08/07/22, Sun — Arrive Zurich (early morning), go to/explore Luzern — Sleep: Luzern

Day 2 — 08/08/22, Mon — Head to Wengen, explore — Sleep: Wengen

Day 3 — 08/09/22, Tues — Mountain activities — Sleep: Wengen

Day 4 — 08/10/22, Wed — Mountain activities — Sleep: Wengen

Day 5 — 08/11/22, Thurs — Mountain activities — Sleep: Wengen

Day 6 — 08/12/22, Fri — Head to Lausanne (Golden Pass) — Sleep: Lausanne

Day 7 — 08/13/22, Sat — Fly out of Geneva (early afternoon)

Few focal questions:

1) Any thoughts on whether we should just fly in AND out of Zurich instead of checking out the Golden Pass train and exploring a little bit of Lausanne? Prices very similar.

2) Any thoughts on whether a day trip to Zermatt would be worth it during our stay in Wengen? I think we will have plenty to fill our time in and around Wengen with hiking, just didn’t know if people felt it would be a nice change of pace/scenery one of the 4 days while we are in the mountains.

Any advice and recommendations to the itinerary is much appreciated.

Thank you so much!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2022 at 22:04:34 #943860

As you say you want to concentrate on one area, I would stick with that. Otherwise you will start to have a trip that is disjointed. So I recommend you either stay with Wengen or or Wengen then Zermatt then go Zermatt – Geneva

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    2 July 2022 at 12:01:43 #943861

Hi Crabcooker

your itinerary looks fine to me.

You don’t say where you are coming from. If it is a transcontinental flight you may have to deal with some jet lag on day one as well as the stress of air travel, customs, etc. if your arriving from another European country it won’t be much of an issue. Either way a first day in Lucerne should be fine.

Your last day before departing could be spent at any of the gateway cities. It would likely mean a half day of exploring. Personally I think a half day in Zurich’s old town with a nice farewell dinner would be worthwhile.

I tend to agree with 1960man. A day trip to Zermatt is doable but it would be a long day and logistically a day hike there would be limited. But you would be able to see the Matterhorn and Gornergrat which are impressive. (Weather permitting)

Hiking in the Jungfrau area is a great way to see and enjoy the area. Much better than the crowded touristy Jungfraujoch in my opinion. I would consider the Schynige Platte to First hike by way of the Panaramaweg trail from SP. Also Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg to Eigergletscher to Alpiglen is a nice day hike. Good hiking around Schilthorn and return by way of Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen is nice as well.

Mark

Anna
    6382 posts
    2 July 2022 at 17:35:09 #943862

Hi Crabcooker,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

This is a doable itinerary. Wengen to Zermatt by train takes at least 3 hours one way (so 6 hours return). So a day trip is still reasonable if you don’t mind spending that much time on the train in 1 day. Otherwise, I would stick with shorter excursions and sightseeing within the Jungfrau region or Bernese Oberland.

If you’re flying out Geneva, the Golden Pass trip to Lausanne makes a nice addition to your itinerary. I would stick with it.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Itinerary review -7d- Zurich to Wengen to Lausanne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.