Itinerary Review / Suggestions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2011 at 17:35:36 #804320

Hi

Firstly, till what time does the sun stay up nowadays in Interlaken?
    Does it get dark real soon, or there is day light well past 7-8 PM ?

Now, I intend to do the following as of now, and need some suggestions to either re-plan if this does not look OK …

(PS: Me and my wife would love to explore the scenic places and not too much into activities, rather spend time going around scenic routes / mountains / lakes / vista points … Also would love to travel and explore a bit of some cities around for some famous spots …. – Just a brief overview of what we would be interested in .. )

Days: 24,25,26,27,28
    All 5 nights based out of Interlaken …

24th May: Arriving from Paris in Interlaken West (Reaching 2 PM – Half day)
    25th May: Full day
    26th May: Full day
    27th May: Full day
    28th May: Full day
    29th May: Departing for Venice …

Places wish to cover (Feel free to post suggestions beneath each of the following if any) :::

(a) Jungfraoch (Normally how much time does it take – half a day or like the entire day ?)

(b) Titlis or Pilatus (Need to decide if one or both are worth it, also whether doable in one single day if intend to do both)

(c) Geneva (Would love to make a half a day or even a day trip into Geneva and go around the city for some famous touristic spots / scenic spots – Need suggestions)
    (Also while on the way to Geneva, is it allowed to get off like different stations – Montreaux, Laussane etc explore a bit, and again get back into the train to Geneva ? – Do we end up paying each time we get off and get on back or its covered under one ticket?)

(d) Zermatt (Need suggestions about how to go, what to see there in regards to scenic spots, also how much time needed)

(e) Lucerne or any other city / place to visit (lakes, waterfalls etc) if I have the time as per the above plan …

Apart from suggestions on the above trips, if I AM being able to do the above, would the Swiss Pass work out good for 4 or 5 days?
    Or would the Swiss Flexi or Half Fare Passes be justifiable ?

(PS: I am sorry I might have asked this over and over, but am not able to decide on my own, since sbb.ch seems to be down most of the time for me to think and decide and calculate how much individual trips would cost me … Also I need to keep in mind that if I go to Geneva, I might would have to end up using the local public transport over there too …)

So keeping this in mind, please do suggest ONE pass that can cover all of the above under its coverage … Of-course for the mountain trains, no matter what pass I choose, I would have to pay 50 % of the mountain trains cost – Is that right? )

Thanks for your time and the inputs …

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    22 May 2011 at 6:12:23 #832916

Hello Sunil. I agree with the advice given in your previous topic: a Swiss Saver Pass would be the best solution.

As for your other questions:
    – the sun sets about 9 pm;
    – you can best combine a visit to Lucerne with either Titlis or Pilatus. I would opt for Pilatus, as this is very close to Lucerne;
    – please refer to the Geneva Tourism website for ideas for your visit;
    – yes, you are allowed to get off and on trains during a trip without extra costs;
    – please refer to the Wallis day trip overview for tips in the Zermatt region. I can recommend the Gornergrat.

bean912
    Participant
    3 posts
    22 May 2011 at 21:49:04 #832917

I have historically been told that the Jungfraujoch is expensive and overrated. Zermatt is wonderful. Meiringen is one of my favorite towns and a great base for hikes-there is a cable car that takes you up to Reuti, then a series of other lifts and you can always go all the way up to Planplatten and then hike down. Zermatt can be done without an overnight if you get there pretty early. But beware, the Matterhorn can disappear on a cloudy day-and you would want to wait and make sure that you see it! Enjoy!

• The thread ‘Itinerary Review / Suggestions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.