Itinerary suggestion for 1 extra day at Interlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 September 2018 at 15:24:50 #818248

Hi all,

My itinerary is almost finalised with just one suggestion to be filled in if any weather changes happen. I would be based out of Interlaken and have a day for Jungfrau excursion (Day 1) with Wengen/Murren hikes (if possible) and one day for Lucerne (Lake and Pilatus) (Day 2) returning to Interlaken.

Next day I have an optional day.

I was thinking of Montreaux ( Day 3) but need to keep an extra option if anything does not go according to the plan.

Next day I leave for Glacier Express route (Day 4) from Brig to Tirano via Andermatt and finally to Milan. y (Zurich already done)

Can someone pls suggest what to add, Mostly natural site??

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    6 September 2018 at 19:52:57 #895781

Hi ManuJha

You could travel from Lucerne to Interlaken via the top of the Brienze Rrothorn:

http://www.bls.ch/en/freizeit -und-ferien/ausfluege/heima tland/winter-soerenberg-rothorn

Travel by train and postal bus from Lucerne to Sörenberg Rothornbahn (1 hr 10 min.) and take the cable car up. Hike westward on the ridge to the top station of the Brienzer Rothorn mountain railway (caution, do this only if you are fit for mountain hiking, have good hiking boots, and if there is no snow at the time of your visit!). From there rail to Interlaken (1 hr 40 min). Can be done in the reverse direction if that suits you better.

For exact timetables, go to How to Travel on the top of your screen.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 September 2018 at 20:10:03 #895782

you are fit for mountain hiking – doubtful 🙂

have good hiking boots– Nope 🙂

so basically sums up this option. 😀

ill check this option just for sigh tseeing, is it worth it then??

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    6 September 2018 at 21:42:49 #895783

For some reason unknown to me, the top terminals of the cable car on the northern side and the cogwheel railway on the southern side are not at the same location. You have to hike on a mountain trail to go from one to the other.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2018 at 6:31:22 #895784

Hi ManuJha,

If you are in Interlaken on Day 3 and don’t go to Montreux on the Golden Pass line (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass) you could do the Brienzer Rothorn without any hiking from Interlaken: http://www.myswissalps.com/br ienzerrothorn

There are many other natural sites to be found around Interlaken, have a look here at more options: http://www.myswissalps.com/in terlaken/activities

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2018 at 10:14:56 #895785

Thanks all for your suggestions. I’m landing tomorrow at Zurich. yay !

I would try out Montreaux via GPL, or Brienze Rrothorn or Zermatt Understanding that all can be done in 1 day.

How would you rate them for an outsider. If in case, which should one not miss.??

Also, the wifi at public places are good enough for minimal browsing and checking out SBB Timetable? is there any quota on usage? I assume the wifi at public places are free of cost.

Thanks in advance.

boshyd
    Participant
    58 posts
    7 September 2018 at 13:08:53 #895786

I did Brienzer Rothorn last month and it was very good. Please note the distance between cable car and train station on top is a 10 min walk on rough surface (regular sneakers is fine), if you have luggage rolling them is difficult so you just have to carry it in places. As long as you give yourself 30 min between cable car and train you should be good. If you just take train up and down then you dont have to worry about this.

I wont rely on public wifi. Just take screenshots of all routes and trains whenever you can.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2018 at 14:31:29 #895787

Swiss railways offers free wifi at most train stations but you have to register for the service and get a text message activation code (so roaming briefly). Otherwise finding Wifi is hit an miss (cafes etc). Lucerne has free public wifi as well in the city centre.

If the weather is good in Zermatt I might go there – always impressive to see the Matterhorn. 🙂
    There are some nice mountain excursions there as well: http://www.myswissalps.com/ze rmatt/activities

This of course is a much longer day than going to Brienzer Rothorn so that may factor into your plans as well.

• The thread ‘Itinerary suggestion for 1 extra day at Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.