Itinerary suggestions for Swiss Christmas markets

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 November 2019 at 17:37:18 #824438

Hi everyone. I posted earlier about rail suggestions. We are two adults traveling in the central Switzerland region December 2-8. We fly in and out of Zürich, landing on December 2 and leaving mid-morning December 8. After some debate, I’ve decided to do a four day travel pass for December 3-6.

heres my tentative plan. Our main focus is to shop the markets and enjoy the atmosphere, with some mountain sights.

Monday December 2: land at Zurich. Buy a one way ticket to Luzern. Luzern will be our base for Monday December 2 to Friday December 6. Check in and look around the town.

Tuesday Dec. 3. Bern for the day. Shop the markets, walk through the town. Hopefully find some good food and chocolate. Bonus if I also find good yarn.

Wednesday December 4. Mt Tillatus, assuming clear weather. Walk the ice cave, play in the snow if there’s any available. Return to Luzern for dinner. Shop the market there if it’s open.

Thursday December 5. Go to Basel for the day. Same plan as Bern, walk the town, shop the markets, and find good food.

Friday December 6: Check out and leave bags. Head to Rigi, assuming the weather is clear. Return to Luzern, collect bags, and head to Zurich. Spend the night and Saturday night in Zürich.

Saturday December 7: Explore Zurich, the markets and shops there. Perhaps a museum if one catches our eye.

Sunday: Fly out.

id welcome suggestions in any of the towns. Should we do both Rigi and Tilatus or just one? And is Basel worth the trip or should I consider an alternative town for the day? I’ve debated going to Einsiedeln as well because it sounds different than our other cities. I want variety, but my main focus is not to overload and rush from place to place.

• The thread ‘Itinerary suggestions for Swiss Christmas markets’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.