Itinerary tips & advice for 5 days in Switzerland

• Reyhon
    Participant
    3 posts
    27 July 2022 at 12:34:56 #827897

Hello, I’m a solo traveler, traveling to 6 European countries in my summer Europe tour in August. I will be coming to Switzerland for first time and I kindly need some help on where to base myself for the 6 nights and 5 complete days that I have in Switzerland. I’m coming by train from Nice to Bern arriving Bern on 15th August at 18:24 Pm and have a flight from Geneva airport to Brussels on 21st early morning. I was thinking of spending 3 nights in Bern and maybe 2 nights in Zurich or Lucerne which are central and the last day and night in Geneva where I have to catch an early morning flight on 21th August. I would like to do at least on mountain excursion and would like see some of the lakes and go to places like Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen and experience cable car and funicular rides and at least on panorama train ride.

In general to see the real beauty and nature of Switzerland combined with the old and historical cities in 5 full days since i reach to Bern in the evening and can’t do much. I kindly request for some tips and advice on where is the best place to base myself and do day trips, I still haven’t booked my accommodations as I’m not yet sure.

Thank you in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 July 2022 at 13:39:38 #944829

Hi Reyhon and welcome to MySwissAlps.com!

If you would like to visit Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen – these are in the Jungfrau region – I recommend staying closer to them. You can also make a day trip from Bern but staying in the region is a whole different experience in my opinion. You can find accommodation here: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion/hotels and http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion/rentals.

Lake Lucerne is also a wonderful area, you can also visit mountain tops from Lucerne: http://www.myswissalps.com/lucerne/activities.

Staying in Geneva, or near the airport is a great idea, if you have an early flight the day after.

Lake Geneva area is also beautiful (with Geneva, Lausanne and Montreux): http://www.myswissalps.com/lakegeneva

One more thing, the public transport system is great in Switzerland. If you are not familiar with it and how it works, start here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/howtotravel

I hope this helps to start your planning,

Ildiko

Danielsan
    Participant
    628 posts
    28 July 2022 at 8:46:51 #944830

Hi Reyhon,

Just as a matter of general info, both Zurich and Bern, while beautiful, and historic cities in their own right, they don’t necessarily encompass the alpine scenery that you will find in other areas like Lucerne and Lauterbrunnen, for instance, as they are further to the north and in the more lower lying areas. Not really having cable cars, for the most part. A train ride from Bern to either Zurich, Lucerne, or Lauterbrunnen is only about an hour. That being said, if you spend the night in Bern, and then go to Zurich later the next day, explore a day there, (or spend the night) you can head to Lucerne the next day, as its only about a 45 min train ride there. (This way you’re heading south). As Ildiko mentioned, there are plenty of mountain tops to see in the Lucerne region, with cable cars ( Mt. Pilatus, Stanserhorn, Mt. Titlis and Mt. Rigi). Lucerne’s old Town is a great place to explore also.

The Lauterbrunnen valley/region is absolutely beautiful to see as well. (Approx 2+ hrs by train from Lucerne). Interlaken Ost being your destination from Lucerne. From there you can get to the Lauterbrunnen valley, or to Grindelwald. From there you can head towards Montreux, via the Golden Pass (Spiez/Zweisemmen to Montreux). Then you can explore the Montreux promenade, see the vineyards around Lausanne, work your way to Geneva before your flight to Brussels. (Another beautiful place to see is the town of Neuchâtel, north of Lausanne). In this way, you’re not spending a lot of time on trains going to/from either Bern or Zurich on day trips. Familiarize yourself with a map and go from there. Hope this gives you some ideas to start. Enjoy your trip and have fun.

Regards,

Danielsan

Reyhon
    Participant
    3 posts
    28 July 2022 at 19:00:22 #944831

Thank you IIdiko, the links you have sent me has been helpful. I think I should consider getting accommodation in a city like interlaken which is more central and easy to reach other places in that region. Would it be a good idea to purchase a 5 day Swiss travel pass?

Reyhon
    Participant
    3 posts
    28 July 2022 at 19:06:13 #944832

Thank you Danielsan for the good information and suggestions, this gives me some ideas on how to work on my plan. Thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 July 2022 at 19:11:59 #944833

Hi there,

I am glad you found it useful.

Yes, if you are visiting more regions, and traveling between different areas, the Swiss Travel Pass is a good choice. If you are spending all nights in the Jungfrau region, then a regional pass like Jungfrau Travel Pass or Regional Pass Bernese Oberland might be better for your itinerary.

With our calculation spreadsheet you can choose the best rail pass or rail pass combos for you: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass.

But usually, the Swiss Travel Pass is a good solution, and tourists find it useful.

Learn more about these passes:

Ildiko

• The thread ‘Itinerary tips & advice for 5 days in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.