2 days in Lugano/Chur, St.Moritz suggestions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2017 at 19:42:41 #811820

I’m looking for recommendations for 2 days of travel in July of this year. We are looking at the eastern southeastern part of the country. Chur, St. Moritz or Lugano??? There will be two of us traveling and are looking for suggestions. We are interested in light hiking, something cool and/or unique.

Any help is appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2017 at 7:13:18 #863313

Hi lichtfi,

I haven’t spent time in the Italian part of Switzerland yet (Lugano tourism – beautiful lake-focused region) but I have been to Chur and Davos.

Chur (Chur Tourism) is the starting point for both the Glacier Express panorama train to Zermatt and the Bernina Express panorama train to Tirano. Both are very unique attractions to Switzerland and Europe.

Davos (Davos tourism) is a nearby ski resort town that can offer some nice light hikes (when taking the gondolas up with mountain).

Have a look through the links to see what catches your eye. Two days may not be enough time for the panoramic trains depending on your next destination.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2017 at 18:04:17 #863314

As an American who loves Lugano (looking forward to a return trip there in two weeks), I can say there are delightful walks on the promenade along the lake, light hikes on nearby Montes Bre, San Salvatore, and Generoso, and what you might find to be “cool and unique” are trips on the lake to small and charming lakeside towns of Gandria and Morcote. In my opinion, Lugano has the best of (stereotypical?) Swiss and Italian cultures: the orderliness of the former and the lively spirit of the latter. An issue would be your travel time to and from within the two days you mention and,therefore, the limited time you’d actually have in Lugano.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2017 at 1:55:08 #863315

The Engadin is very different from the rest of Switzerland. I can’t advise you on suitable hikes, but the town of Scuol and village of Guarda in the Lower Engadin, and the village of Soglio in the Bregaglia Valley south-west of St Moritz would certainly meet your criteria.

If you are interested, you can read my trip reports on the following pages:

Guarda

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-lower-engadine-guarda-october-2016

Scuol

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/scuol

Soglio

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-bregaglia-valley-soglio

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘2 days in Lugano/Chur, St.Moritz suggestions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.