About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum July 2022 family visit to Lauterbrunnen
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

July 2022 family visit to Lauterbrunnen

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
JeremySimons
JeremySimons
20 posts
Jul 30, 2022 - 12:19 AM

I want to report on our family's visit to Lauterbrunnen this past week. There were seven of us, including three children ages 10 to 14.

Despite the heat everywhere else, Lauterbrunnen and the surrounding communities were very comfortable. The Swiss Travel Pass enabled us to easily visit Murren, Wengen, and get half price tickets to Schilthorn. Even in late July the town was not crowded, there were no lines, and it was easy to take the family to the local restaurants without reservations.

Even though the passes made it convenient to get around the Lauterbrunnen area and see the sights, getting to Lauterbrunnen from the Zurich airport was a challenge. I wonder if we should have tried to rent a van. In the first place it was hard to find the train to Bern at the Zurich airport, although I am a veteran train traveller. There is no information desk and no one to ask at 9:00 a.m on a Tuesday, and a place that looked like an information office turned out, after a considerable wait, to be about solving problems. When we finally did get all of us and our heavy luggage on to a train we thought we were in good shape. Although I knew there was first and second class seating I didn't realize that the only indication of the difference is the number 1 or 2 on the seats. Everything was fine until the conductor came by and explained to us that we were in the wrong place. As there were no 2nd class cars adjoining he asked us to move to the restaurant, where we stood without our luggage until we arrived in Bern. Getting from Bern to Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen was easy except that seating and luggage were hard to deal with in very crowded and hot cars. Either the cars were not air-conditioned or it wasn't working, but I could understand why people would pay the almost double extra cost for first class seating.

Aside from the challenging train transport our visit was a dream. Just what I had hoped for. It is an incredibly beautiful place, with great food and wonderful people.

Anna
Anna
3737 posts
expert &
Jul 30, 2022 - 8:10 AM in reply to JeremySimons

Hi JeremySimons,

Thank you for spending some time to share your experience.

It's good to know you had a good trip despite the initial challenges you encountered at the airport and on Swiss trains. And good thing the heatwave didn't affect your stay in Lauterbrunnen.

Regards,

Anna

Arno
Arno
15585 posts
expert &
Jul 31, 2022 - 6:24 AM in reply to JeremySimons

Hi JeremySimons,

Thank you for your trip report! Happy to hear you enjoyed your stay in Lauterbrunnen. I'm sorry that your initial transfer from Zurich Airport was such a challenge. Usually the digital information and directional signs make navigating pretty straightforward, but I can imagine that the airport's large railway station was a bit overwhelming. You didn't have the best of luck with crowded and hot trains either. I hope that the rest of your days in Switzerland made up for this discomfort.

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More

Swiss Travel Pass promotion: 30% discount
Available until 31 October 2022. Book 6 months ahead.
https://shop.switzerlandtravelcentre.com/swisstravelpass

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2022