July 5-13, base Interlaken, with Swiss Travel Pass

• Lawren
    Participant
    11 posts
    26 March 2023 at 17:29:28 #829420

I’ve reworked our itinerary and would like to know if this is doable. I’m travelling with my 14-year-old daughter and we plan on making Interlaken our base for the entire trip (July 5-13). We want to see and do lots of things, but don’t want to over do it each day such that we’re too exhausted at the end of each day. I do plan on buying a Swiss Travel Pass

July 5: Arrive in Zurich from Canada, head to Interlaken; check-in and explore Interlaken; visit Harder Kulm and have dinner.

QUESTION: Any suggestions for affordable places to eat in and around Interlaken?

July 6: Day trip to Lucerne (Rosengart Museum) and independent tour of Lucerne (are there free tours of Lucerne from the tourism office?);

QUESTION: is this too ambitious? Originally I had wanted to add a hike on Mt. Rigi to this day but not sure if that would be realistic.

July 7: Train to Lucerne, boat to Vitznau to Rigi Kulm, hike and cable car to Weggis to walk around and explore

QUESTION: is it possible to combine activities of July 6 & 7 into 1 day?

July 8: Take a train from Interlaken to Thun, have a tour of the Old Town and end the day with a boat cruise on Lake Thun (Does the local tourist office provide free tours of Thun? Is it possible to register ahead of time?) and head back to Interlaken.Is there any particular attractions in Thun that we should see? Any suggestions on nice affordable places for dinner in Thun?

July 9: Train from Interlaken to Brienz. Visit Swiss open-air museum, visit Giessbach falls then hike to Iseltwald, boat cruise on Lake Brienz (any suggestions on the proper order to go about this day would be great)

QUESTION: is it possible to combine activities of July 8 & 9 into 1 day?

July 10: Train from Interlaken Ost to Montreux, tour Montreux, visit Chateau Chillon, boat cruise on Lake Geneva.I would like to do a hike or walk around Montreux or maybe see the vineyards, so suggestions are welcome pls.

July 11: Schilthorn in the morning, on the way down, cable car to Murren and hike to Gimmelwald, then cable car from Gimmelwald to Stechelberg, walk from Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen and see Trummelbach Falls along the way.

July 12: Train from Interlaken Ost to Maison Cailler and then to Gruyères

July 13: Leave Interlaken for Paris

Thanks in advance for your help.

Lawren

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Ventsislav
    Participant
    75 posts
    27 March 2023 at 15:43:25 #952628

Hi Lawren,

here is a youtube channel that provides very useful information about Interlaken and the area.

http://www.youtube.com/@AplinsintheAlps

There is a video dedicated to Interlaken as well.

Anna
    6382 posts
    27 March 2023 at 15:54:34 #952629

Hi Lawren,

Thanks for sharing your itinerary.

Choosing Interlaken as your base for your entire trip is not a bad plan. And since you’ll be doing a lot of day trips, the Swiss Travel will serve you well.

In Interlaken you will find plenty of meal options from fast food to proper dine-in restaurants. All the affordable ones can be found in and near the Zentrum (town centre).

I am not aware of any free tours in Lucerne. But you can download a free walking guide from the Lucerne Tourism website and explore the city on your own. The old town is fairly easy to navigate around, as explained here: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/lucerne. It’s possible to combine an excursion to Rigi and sightseeing in Lucerne in one day. Best to go to Rigi (http://www.myswissalps.com/rigi) first then walk around Lucerne later in the day.

You can combine a trip to Thun and cruise on Lake Thun in one day. Some useful planning tips here: http://www.myswissalps.com/boatlakethun

A boat trip on Lake Brienz is best done separately if you want to include side triips to the Ballenberg Museum. http://www.myswissalps.com/boatlakebrienz

You can find a list of things to see and do in Montreux here: http://www.myswissalps.com/montreux/activities

Hope this gives more options for your itinerary.

Regards,

Anna

Arno
    15484 posts
    28 March 2023 at 8:22:20 #952630

Hi Lawren,

In addition to the info already provided, you can find more about Interlaken and the surrounding areas here:

Lawren
    Participant
    11 posts
    28 March 2023 at 11:48:27 #952631

Thank you Anna, Arno, and Ventsislav for the recommendations. The links I’m sure will help me find some alternative things to do if the weather isn’t agreeable.

Lawren

Yolanda
    2353 posts
    29 March 2023 at 4:10:33 #952632

Hello Lawren,

Just another idea should the weather take a turn, or if the weather is too warm.

The Beatus caves are located not too far from Interlaken: https://www.beatushoehlen.swiss/en/

Have a great trip.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    29 March 2023 at 6:46:05 #952633

Hi Lawren,

I realize you’re basing yourself in Interlaken for your trip, but to me it makes very little sense not to spend at least one night in Lucerne based on your itinerary. You are going from Zurich, (only 45 min to Lucerne), past Lucerne, only to go back two and a half hrs (approx) on two consecutive days. That’s about ten hours that you could be sightseeing/exploring. Spending at least one night (maybe even two, to give you one full day there) in Lucerne would allow you to most, if not all you are looking to do. To put it into more perspective, it would be similar to one landing in Montreal (from Europe), training it to Toronto, spending the next two days going back to Ottawa, only to back to Toronto before heading out on a day trip to say, Detroit, or Chicago. I realize I am mixing two different countries here, and the distances may be different. Im not trying to sound rude in any way, but I am sincery just trying to explain the concept. Just my opinion is all. As far as meals go, many folks suggest shopping in a COOP for food to go. For me food was the next most expensive thing after my lodging. I did find a hot dog/food truck at the Interlaken West station that was reasonable, but in general, meal’s are/can be quite expensive. Hope this may help in some way. Whichever you decide, you are going to have a great trip. Enjoy.

Regards,

Danielsan

Yolanda
    2353 posts
    29 March 2023 at 12:17:26 #952634

Thank you Danielsan,

Another option food wise, if the weather is pleasant, you could always have a picnic lunch outside. The main supermarkets here are Coop and Migros. There are also food halls in the larger Manor department stores, not as common as the others but they do appear in some towns.

You will also see other take-out options here: cafes and bakeries are offering a lot more, than they used to.

If you are trying to gauge, an evening meal (starter/mains) in a restaurant per person, I would say 30-35 CHF, if not 40 CHF, if you are wanting also a beverage.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Useful link:

Ventsislav
    Participant
    75 posts
    29 March 2023 at 12:38:14 #952635

I would add that Migros have not only a supermaket opposite Interlaken West, but also their restaurant there. Positive reviews of the menu and prices there.

Yolanda
    2353 posts
    29 March 2023 at 12:59:44 #952636

Thank you Ventsislav!

Your Migros tip is much appreciated.

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    29 March 2023 at 16:45:23 #952637

Yolanda,

You’re more than welcome. Thank You.

Regards,

Danielsan

Lawren
    Participant
    11 posts
    4 April 2023 at 3:52:42 #952638

Thank you everyone. The suggestions and comments have been very helpful.

Lawren

• The thread ‘July 5-13, base Interlaken, with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.