June 18 days:Berner Oberland/Jungfrau Travel Pass?

• twig
    Participant
    3 posts
    17 May 2023 at 4:58:40 #829861

I will be visiting Switzerland in early June with my family for around 18 days, and will visit the Engadine region, Zermatt, Jungfrau area, and Lucern. Below is my broad itinerary, where I will be spending at least 4 days each to explore the mountainous scenery in each region.

Arrival and departure: Zurich

A. 4 days in Pontresina (Guest card)

B. 1 day in Oberalpass

C. 5 days in Zermatt (Peak pass)

D. 5 days in Jungfrau, based in Murren (Bernese Oberland pass or Jungfrau Pass?)

E. 3.5 days in Lucern

I am not considering the Swiss Travel Pass as (1) the group I’m traveling with is not keen to try the Panoramic Trains, given that regional trains ply the same route, but without the luxurious features, and (2) we are keen on mountain excursions, which the specific regional passes will either cover most of the rides but not the Swiss Travel Pass.

As such, I plan to purchase the half-fare card with the Zermatt pass for part C of my journey and am currently leaning towards the Bernese Oberland Pass for Section D, after comparing the perks between both passes. Key considerations include being able to utilise the BO pass from Visp to Interlaken from Zermatt, and from Interlaken to Lucern. While I’m aware of the difference in the cost of the supplementary Jungfraujoch ticket, the discounted cost of the cable car from Murren to Schilthorn, are there other reasons I should consider the BO pass in favour of the Jungfrau Pass? Happy to hear any views you have, thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Yolanda
    2361 posts
    17 May 2023 at 12:47:48 #954494

Hello twig,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Thanks for sharing your plans.

You have clearly researched well in regard to your travel pass needs. That’s great you have decided on the Swiss Half Fare Card. (within this link, you will also find purchase options in case you needed)

In regard to choosing the Berner Oberland Pass or the Jungfrau Travel Pass – the main distinction between the two (aside the price) is the area of coverage. The Jungfrau Travel Pass covers a smaller area, in comparison the Berner Oberland Pass covers a much larger area to include the Jungfrau region. Perhaps, if you have not done so already, take a look and compare the coverage maps for each pass. You can download both maps, in the links here:

Also, have a think what your daily activities will be whilst in the area. If you are anticipating visiting places outside of the Jungfrau Travel Pass area, then perhaps the Berner Oberland Pass would make better sense. Have a look too, at the bonus partners, on the second page of the Berner Oberland Pass – were any of these in consideration?

Many members of the forum also find it handy to carry a few calculations via our “How to choose a rail pass” link, that way they can be sure the best rail pass options are displayed. Here is the link: https://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass

I hope this helps, feel free to reach out if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Yolanda
    2361 posts
    17 May 2023 at 13:00:02 #954495

Hello again twig,

Here are some useful links for your upcoming trip. All include overviews, activity and accommodation suggestions:

Kind regards,

Yolanda

• The thread ‘June 18 days:Berner Oberland/Jungfrau Travel Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.