June: Hiking in Bernese Oberland, any trails open?

• zhappybird
    Participant
    1 post
    26 April 2023 at 14:46:06 #829695

Hi There,

we plan to visit Swizerland this June, so are the following trails open at that time?

1) The Eiger Trail

2) Bernese Oberland

3)Schynige Platte to Faulhorn to First

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Lastlook
    Participant
    183 posts
    26 April 2023 at 17:40:59 #953792

It might be too early for Faulhorn, but probably depends on the year/snowfall. I had planned a late June hike to the hotel there a number of years ago but the hotel advised against it when I called to reconfirm a reservation there. Since then, I’ve done the hike from First to Faulhorn to Schynige Platte, but it was in late July. It is a very nice day long hike. I took the train down to Wilderswil from Schynige Platte.

Yolanda
    2363 posts
    27 April 2023 at 8:35:46 #953793

Hello zhappybird,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

That’s great to hear you are planning a trip here in June! In answer to your questions on the trails. In general high altitude hiking routes may still be closed in June. There no fixed opening dates for trails as it really is weather dependent.

According to the website, the Eiger trail is generally accessible from mid-June depending on the weather. You can check the trail status and others in the Jungfrau region here.

Trains to Schynige Platte do not commence till July 1st so if you were wanting to start hiking from Schynige Platte, mid June is not possible.

The official hiking guide for Switzerland can be found via this link, this indicates the standard accessibility months:

Lower altitude hiking is probably more realistic for June, you will find plenty of options, at https://www.myswissalps.com/hiking you can filter the region (and subregion) and suggested hikes will be displayed.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Yolanda
    2363 posts
    27 April 2023 at 8:40:44 #953794

Thank you Lastlook for sharing this 🙂

• The thread ‘June: Hiking in Bernese Oberland, any trails open?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.