June trip to Switzerland 4-5 days, ideas?

• Mahadxb
    Participant
    10 posts
    13 April 2023 at 15:55:41 #829561

Hello everyone!

Hoping you could provide some advice based on your expertise:)

In the first week of June, I plan to travel to Switzerland ( landing in zurich) for 4 or 5 days before heading to Italy by train. This will be our first trip to this beautiful country. We don’t want to spend too many days in Switzerland as it’s pretty expensive and that’s why we are going to Italy after so just looking for a sampler of Switzerland in the most beautiful area to explore.

Do you think we should spend all 4 nights at the same hotel in Wengen? Or should I stay one night in Lucerne first ? Do you think it might rain the whole time in those days?

Another option is to do a scenic train ride instead and stay in departure and arrival towns of those train rides, but then there’s no time to stay in the BO I think. Is that a better idea since we are not big on hiking?

I’m interested in:

– visiting jungfraujoch or any other epic mountain experience where there will be snow in June and we can actually walk on it instead of just seeing it

– Visiting the cute villages in area and soaking in the alpine views every day

-1 or 2 scenic hikes ( we are not hikers but we are young in our 30s without kids so are mobile)

-Scenic train rides

-Lakes/waterfalls

-Eating nice local food

Thank you in advance for your helpful opinions!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Yolanda
    2361 posts
    13 April 2023 at 19:27:07 #953276

Hello Mahadxb,

That’s great you will be visiting Switzerland.

You have some nice ideas and being based in Wengen is not a bad idea. You would have access to the things you have listed. That said. I think spending a night or two in Lucerne would be good too. Here you can visit Mt. Pilatus, Mt. Titlis or Mt.Rigi. You could also take the scenic GoldenPass train trip that starts in Lucerne. More information here:

In regard to the weather, generally June is pleasant but of course higher up in the mountains it can be sometimes unpredictable. If you are embarking on a mountain visit, it’sbest to check the weather forecast beforehand. https://www.myswissalps.com/weather/forecast. As for seeing snow in June, your best bet is Titlis or a visit to Jungfraujoch.

Whilst staying in Wengen, as mentioned, all the activities you mention are within reach, the villages, gentle hikes, visiting the Staubbach Falls are just a few. More suggestions can be found here:

Yes, Switzerland is not cheap but take a look at our guide on how to budget yourself whilst here: https://www.myswissalps.com/plantrip/doityourself/savemoney

For reaching Italy afterwards, you can research your journey via the timetable link. Departing from Lucerne would be more straightforward, so perhaps you visit Wengen and its surrounds first and then make your way to Lucerne?

I hope this helps, feel free to reach out with any further questions. Just one more thing, in regard to getting around, have you thought about a rail pass or train tickets? More information here: https://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses

Kind regards,

Yolanda

EASW
    Participant
    122 posts
    14 April 2023 at 13:04:59 #953277

I second the suggestion to spend at least one night in Luzern so that you can explore the Old Town and possibly take an excursion to one of the beautiful nearby mountains. Luzern is an interesting and beautiful city.

Ivykim
    Participant
    5 posts
    15 April 2023 at 0:44:35 #953278

I third the suggestion to stay one night in Luzern since it’s your first time. It’s such a beautiful city and you can find a nice place to eat or have drinks next to the lake. One day is good.

We love Wengen and have been there three summers in a row. For all the reasons Yolanda gave above, it’s an excellent choice. If it’s available, Hotel Baren is where we stay. It’s a smaller, family run hotel and we do half board. The chef/food is amazing with great menu choices. Breakfast is high quality with lots of options. Ask for the top floor room with balcony so you can see the mountains.

Mahadxb
    Participant
    10 posts
    16 April 2023 at 18:30:24 #953279

Thank you so much for your helpful responses. I have been thinking about all of your responses to see the best route before going onward to Italy.

If I were to do only one mountain excursion in June coming from internationally and never having been to Switzerland would you recommend : Titlis, Pilatus, or Stanserhorn? I saw a buy one get one Tell Pass if I stay in a Lucerne hotel. This is a good deal I think? It’s not too important that I touch snow, but would like to get a good view of snow covered peaks in these excursions and go on cable cars and mountain trains.

I am thinking of skipping the Jungfrau region since it’ll be expensive and just doing it as a day trip since the tell pass goes to interlaken ( so 3 nights Lucerne) I don’t mind staying one night there but above it was said that going to Milan/Florence from interlaken isn’t straightforward so that’s why I’m thinking of doing it as a day trip.

if the trip from interlaken to Florence was simple I would stay 2 nights Lucerne and 1 night interlaken.

Please do let me know your valuable opinions on this 🙂

Anna
    6382 posts
    17 April 2023 at 20:10:36 #953280

Hi Mahadxb,

Yes, the Tell Pass 2 for 1 promotion is available for guests who booked two or more nights at participating hotels. You can find the details here: http://www.luzern.com/en/highlights/2-for-1-tell-pass-promotion/. More information about the Tell Pass is available here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tellpass.

If you could only do 1 mountain excursion from Lucerne, I would recommend going to Titlis if you’re interested to experience snow. There are also plenty of activities for visitors at the top as well as at the middle stations. You can find more information here: http://www.myswissalps.com/titlis.

It might be possible to combine Titlis and Stanserhorn in one day if you start your day early. They are on the same route and you might want to consider stopping in Stans on the way back and visit Stanserhorn. More information about how to travel to Stanserhorn here: http://www.myswissalps.com/stanserhorn/gettingthere

And I agree with Yolando about Lucerne being more practical if you intend to travel to Florence at the end of your Swiss trip.

Regards,

Anna

Mahadxb
    Participant
    10 posts
    29 April 2023 at 12:38:12 #953281

Thank you so much for all your help!

I have found a route from spiez to Milan direct , to connect onward to Florence. So now I will be staying just in the Jungfrau region for 3 nights . I will be using trains only

im going in early June and I think the weather might be bad.Based on that I just need some advice please ,

1. Should I look to stay in grindelwald or Wengen ?

2. Should I be getting the half board package In these hotels ( we are vegetarian and but seafood ) ? Also usually what time do restaurants close in Wengen and grindelwald ? I am just worried we won’t find anything to eat at night if we don’t plan ahead! We don’t want to spend on fine dining every night if it’s expensive, just one of the nights should be a nice dinner with quality food. The other two nights can be more basic

thanks!

Anna
    6382 posts
    29 April 2023 at 14:11:59 #953282

Hi Mahadxb,

Grindelwald and Wengen both provide a mountain setting. Wengen is smaller and has fewer restaurants so Grindelwald might be more practical for you in terms of food choices.

2. If you choose half-board, be sure to request for vegetarian meals from your hotel. Otherwise, you can plan ahead and buy your meals from the supermarkets or restaurants. Both Grindelwald and Wengen are easily accessible from Interlaken where you can find big supermarkets and various vegetarian meal options.

Hope this helps.

regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘June trip to Switzerland 4-5 days, ideas?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.