Jungfrau region chalets for 5 people in May

• chandni177
    Participant
    55 posts
    5 October 2017 at 0:33:41 #813435

Hi everyone!

I’m planning a trip to Switzerland (Bernese Oberland region) with my family (5 adults) in May next year (Approx dates 18-25 May). We will be flying in/out of Zurich airport. I have a few questions that will help me, as I’m stuck trying to find good chalets in the Wengen or Lauterbrunnen area which less than double my budget!

1. Is it better to spend 1-2 days in Lucerne before/after the Jungfrao vacation? Haven’t been able to find any rental or hotel that isn’t more than $170-180 per night. Is that the norm, or am I missing something?

2. Is it worth staying in Grindelwald, since there are cheaper chalets available there, or better to try to find something in the Wengen/Lauterbrunnen region? For 5 nights, something that’s less than $1000 total. With a good view 🙂

Happy to cook our own meals, rustic chalet preferred over hotels. Esp since we are 5 people.

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2017 at 15:31:59 #870594

Hi chandni177 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

We have a few pages on our website that can help in your search.

Have a look at our chalets/apartment page here.

For hotel options in each town that we recommend click here: Grindelwald, Wengen, Lauterbrunnen, Lucerne. Per room night costs for hotels in May should start at around 125 USD. Switzerland is a very expensive country and 170-180 is average I would say. You aren’t in high season yet so some deals should be found out there.

Also, keep in mind, you aren’t in high season yet 🙂 – so depending on what you want to; do the smaller towns may be partially closed still and a few gondola’s etc may be shut down for maintenance.

chandni177
    Participant
    55 posts
    5 October 2017 at 15:42:23 #870595

Thank you Lucas!

I did look at the e-domizil website, but haven’t found a lot of options matching budget and dates (targeting Wengen or Lauterbrunnen) Will continue to explore.

Will a lot of places in Wengen/Lauterbrunnen still be closed in the last week of May?

Thanks for your help!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2017 at 15:44:15 #870596

Some activities may be limited and a few smaller restaurants may be closed yes.

But not everything for sure! Have a look through this thread and be sure to read Slowpoke’s posts as you goes into some detail on this.

chandni177
    Participant
    55 posts
    5 October 2017 at 17:12:20 #870597

Got it.

Seems that most of the things we would like would be open. Is Grindelwald busy /crowded in late May? Wondering if it is worth staying there instead. I’ve heard it might be too touristy though

chandni177
    Participant
    55 posts
    5 October 2017 at 17:17:10 #870598

My parents are travelling with us. While they wouldn’t mind walking all day exploring the pretty mountainside, I’m thinking it might be easier to pick a place near the train stations, or at least not a lot of uphill walking involved to get home at night. Do you have any particular reasonably priced chalets in mind ?

Thanks once again for your help!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 October 2017 at 2:10:30 #870599

>> Is Grindelwald busy /crowded in late May?

I wouldn’t think so. The ski season will be over, and the hiking season will not have started. For that reason, many accommodation establishments close until there are more people about. The hotel I stay at in Wengen closes for the month of May, as well as October, November and most of December. That is a fairly common pattern, but there will always be some places open.

>> Wondering if it is worth staying there instead.

It’s certainly an option, especially if you can find cheaper chalets there. Bear in mind that the less expensive options are likely to be further away from transport. Grindelwald is very spread-out and hilly. There is a town bus service that runs until shortly after 7pm. It would be useful to be aware of where the bus stops are before you choose accommodation that is a long way from the station. Google Maps has the bus stops marked.

>> I’ve heard it might be too touristy though

Well, everyone has their own opinion about that! Grindelwald is in a splendid alpine setting, but there is car traffic in the village, and bus tours can also get there. There are more shops and restaurants than in Lauterbrunnen, Wengen or Mürren, so it has a busier feel. That suits some people. Others prefer the car-free villages. It’s simply a personal preference.

>> My parents are travelling with us. While they wouldn’t mind walking all day exploring the pretty mountainside, I’m thinking it might be easier to pick a place near the train stations, or at least not a lot of uphill walking involved to get home at night.

I’ve mentioned above that Grindelwald is hilly and spread-out. That also applies to Wengen. There are some pretty steep areas below the station, but you would be walking uphill in the morning and downhill at night.

People staying in hotels are usually picked up and dropped off with their luggage on the day of arrival and departure. I don’t know what the arrangements are for people renting chalets.

The flattest part of Wengen is the Dorfstrasse, from the station to just before the Hotel Schönegg. That area has most of the shops, restaurants, and a number of hotels. The chalets tend to be scattered about the slopes.

Lauterbrunnen, while not entirely flat within the village area, is definitely flatter on the whole than Grindelwald and Wengen. And of course, there is a bus service through the village and on to Stechelberg. Those bus stops are also marked on Google Maps.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 October 2017 at 5:45:27 #870600

Hi,

No, I don’t have any specific chalets in mind for you. We just have the links I posted earlier to help you search for them. Also, you could try hotelscombined.com.

Arno
    15479 posts
    6 October 2017 at 12:26:08 #870601

Hi Chandni177,

There are a couple of challenges here: a chalet (so not an apartment) for 5 adults in a popular region like the Jungfrau region for less than $200/CHF200 per night will be hard to find. You may have to adjust one of those factors to find what you want. E.g. if you’re willing the stay in an apartment that would make things easier. That’s what I often do; there are really great apartments with excellent views in Switzerland. Or you could change your budget, or you could stay 7 nights from Saturday to Saturday (the standard rental period). All of that may result in more options to choose from.

What about the one below? It is just outside Wengen; good views are practically guaranteed.

http://www.en.e-domizil.ch/holiday-house/843449/holiday-home-zwaergli-wengen-jungfrauregion-bernese-oberland-switzerland/

If you’re willing to consider apartments than please have a look at the below list and play a bit with the filters, arrival date, etc.

http://www.en.e-domizil.ch/index.cfm?event=search.search&se archtyp=defaultsearch& region=854&preisbis=10 00&personen=5&land=ch& reisedauer=5&datvon=20 .05.2018

I hope this helps!

chandni177
    Participant
    55 posts
    6 October 2017 at 14:25:05 #870602

Wow. Thank you so much Lucas, Alpenrose and Arno!

Those were indeed very insightful points!

I have been looking at e-domizil, chalet.myswitzerland and vacation-apartments.com so far. Along with the usual tripadvisor and booking.com

– Gindelwald : I did notice that most of the places in Grindelwald seem to be farther spread out, and only offer access to a bus station (if at all) whereas in Wengen you could directly compare how far the places are from the Wengen railway station. Good to know that Google maps has the bus stops – I will definitely confirm the exact location before I move ahead with any place in Grindelwald.

– Lauterbrunnen : For some reason (maybe my dates, or duration, or budget), I haven’t been able to find a lot of options here. Will keep looking, with the newly acquired knowledge thanks to you all!

– Wengen : Apologies for not clarifying beforehand. I am open to apartments as well. I did shortlist Zwaerli Wengen as of yesterday, but I am concerned about access from the train station, so will need to look into it a bit further. I will look at the locations in Google maps to ensure the places are moderately accessible, so as to not make Mom Dad walk/hike more than necessary everyday!

Good to know about the hilly and flat regions in all the above. It’s a good point to keep in mind while booking. I will do some more hunting and might get back with questions. More questions might come up in the Rail Forum in future as well 😀

Thank you so much! You guys are incredible!

Chandni

chandni177
    Participant
    55 posts
    11 October 2017 at 20:06:34 #870603

Hello again!

I noticed that some 4-person chalets/apartments offer an extra bed/cot for a 5th person. How common is that? Can I rent a 4-people place and have 5 people stay, with the permission of the owner of course?

Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 October 2017 at 6:32:16 #870604

You would have to contact the owner and make that request. I would think some are ok with it if they have an extra cot for the 5th person.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    13 October 2017 at 0:27:45 #870605

Hi,

Some places will have a roll out bed, but I think that is usually for only for children.

Alan

• The thread ‘Jungfrau region chalets for 5 people in May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.