JungFrau duration and costs

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2015 at 3:25:20 #807757

Hi friends!

We would like to visit JungFrau and were wondering where can we find more info on these questions:

1. What is the typical duration of the day trip from Grindelwald to JungFrau and back?

2. What is the mode of transportation from Grindenwald to Jungfrau

3. How much is JUST the ticket to JungFrau. Bundling it with the hotel charges does not give me a good idea.

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 August 2015 at 8:23:10 #845366

Hi waywardSoul,

Most information can be found on our Jungfraujoch page.

1. It takes half a day to a day, depending on how early you start and what you want to do once you’re there.

2. It’s a cogwheel train.

3. That depends on whether you just go up and down from Grindelwald or do the round trip via Wengen and Lauterbrunnen, and whether or not you have a rail pass. The standard ticket price for just that trip without a rail pass is CHF 184.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2015 at 23:43:59 #845367

Hello, I have been looking at the helpful Jungfraujoch resources Arno mentioned and I have two questions I hope I can add in here:

1. If we decide to hike across the glacier, what constitutes proper gear? Will sturdy hiking books suffice or do we need crampons and other ice-hiking accessories? If so, are they available for rent?

2. If we have layers (thermal underwear, fleece sweatshirt, rain coat) and gloves/hat, will we be ok for a few hours or will we need true winter coats? We will be there first week of Sep if that matters. We don’t want to go to the time and expense of traveling there and be miserably cold but we do need to pack as light as we can. We might be interested in experiencing the Snow Fun Park if it is not too crowded.

Arno
    15471 posts
    19 August 2015 at 7:49:44 #845368

Hi madetrois,

1. You will need a guide for that. He/she knows about the proper gear and where to rent it. Please see grindelwaldsports.ch/e n/aletsch-glacier-hike.html for details. I think they only do 2-day tours, but you can check their site or contact them about the options. If you’re looking for something simpler, you can consider the short walk to the Mönchsjoch hut. You don’t need a guide for that. Please see myswissalps.com/ jungfraujoch.

2. If you don’t do a glacier hiking tour, multiple thinner layers work fine. See the Jungfraujoch page I just linked to please. For the Snow Fun Park you need a water proof outer layer.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2015 at 3:51:05 #845369

Hi Arno,

I’m sorry I wasn’t clear – we are only considering the short hike to the Mönchsjoch hut. Will hiking boots and layers (including a waterproof one) suffice for this or does even the short hike require better equipment/preparation??

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 August 2015 at 9:00:34 #845370

Hi madetrois,

I think a sufficient number of layers and proper hiking boots will do. Of course the weather for that day can’t be predicted until the prior evening, so if it happens to be very cold a winter coat could be better. After all this is high Alpine terrain, not to be underestimated, even though this trail is suitable for nearly everyone. Personally I would also take hiking poles, or at least one.

• The thread ‘JungFrau duration and costs’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.