Traveling with Regional Pass – Bernese Oberland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2017 at 0:18:59 #812343

Hello,

Coming to Switzerland with my 12 year old son in July. Spending 4 days / 3 nights in Jungfrau region from Sunday, July 9 – Wed., July 12. I already have accommodations in Lauterbrunnen, Manlichen, and then Murren for the 3 nights. Want to do the Jungfraujoch, cable car from Murren to Schilthorn, and some hiking…

Already purchased train tix from Paris to Swiss border of Basel on Sunday, July 9. Plan on then looking into taking train from Basel to Bern because I purchased a 4 day Regional-Pass Berner Oberland, which i believe the coverage starts in Bern. I also got a Swiss Family Card for my 12 year old son to travel for free. Once in Bern, plan on going to Interlaken and then Lauterbrunnen for first night lodging. Should i look into booking those trains in Basel and Bern from US or just buy when we arrive in Basel and Bern?

So, my other questions would be: is the Swiss Family Card all my son needs for those 4 days? That Berner Overland regional pass says it has 50% off Jungfraujoch train to the top…when should I purchase that? should I get reserved seats or wait to see weather? Risk for trains to all be full? Also says discounts on lift to Schilthorn, correct?

We are then proceeding down to Florence, Italy on that Wednesday. Looks like that pass extends to Lucern so I am thinking about booking train down to Florence out of Lucern…does that sound like a good plan?

Anything else to consider?

THANK YOU SO MUCH for any feedback or advice you can provide!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2017 at 10:13:04 #865520

Hi Tschultz20,

The Swiss Family Card is only valid for free travel with a Swiss Travel System pass (not regional passes like the Regional Pass – Bernese Oberland).

If you are traveling on the Regional Pass – Bernese Oberland, your son will need to have the child version of the pass (only 30chf) for free travel with you.

You can buy your point to point tickets online here, or at the station if you prefer.

You can buy tickets to the Jungfraujoch ahead of time online here, but I would only do so a day or before your planned trip – to ensure the weather looks good at the top!

The Regional Pass – Bernese Oberland is valid as far south as Brig (but you must travel via the slower but scenic Kandersteg – Goppenstein route), so you should buy a ticket from there to Florence – that should be the least expensive option and you can find trains from there with only 1 change in Milan. Use the Swiss railways timetable here to plan all your train trips.

I hope that answers all your questions, let us know if you have more.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Traveling with Regional Pass – Bernese Oberland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.