Jungfrau region, 3 day itinerary critique

• Suddenspiral
    Participant
    7 posts
    29 June 2022 at 5:26:43 #827631

Hi all,

My family (myself, wife and 2 young adult kids) will be staying in Grindelwald for 4 nights (3 full days) in September. The main focus is to do some nice walks (nothing too taxing – I’m the only avid hiker in the family) and see a bit of the Jungfrau region in general. My plan is as follows:

– Day 1: First to Bachalpsee in the morning (including trotti bikes or mountain carts), then the Lauterbrunnen valley in the afternoon

– Day 2: Panoramic Walk (including Royal Walk)

– Day 3: Eiger trail

Outside of that, I’m hoping that gives us time to enjoy the hotel facilitites where we’re staying, check out some other villages and possibly go to Harder Kulm and do a paragliding session.

Does what I’ve listed sound achieveable in the time we’ve got? Not sure how how necessary it is to visit Harden Kulm given where we’re staying, but it looks like a fun few hours if time allows.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2022 at 16:45:08 #943739

Hi Suddenspiral,

I think it is all doable. The most important that you try to stay flexible. You’ll see how much your kids can walk. If it is too much you can replan on the go 🙂 May I ask how old are they?

Do you know about the Swiss Family Card that you can get for free if you have a Swiss Travel Pass or a Swiss Half Fare Card, right? With the Swiss Family Pass your children travel for free. If you buy a different pass for yourself, you can get the Junior Travel Card for your kids.

The Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg walk is very nice.

If you are at Grindelwald First, do not miss the Cliff Walk. The Bachalpsee hike is also a nice one.

In te Lauterbrunnen Valley I recommend the Trummelbach Falls.

The Eiger trail is a bit more difficult, you have to descent 783 m, which can be tiring for younger kids.

For recommended paragliding companies please visit this one: http://www.myswissalps.com/interlaken/activities. (Use the filter called ‘Attraction type’ – Sport – Paragliding) to get the best results.

I think you’ll do and see many things, it is OK if you miss Harder Kulm.

Take care,

Ildiko

Suddenspiral
    Participant
    7 posts
    29 June 2022 at 22:10:34 #943740

Hi Ildiko,

Thanks so much for the response. My ‘kids’ are actually adults (18 and 21) so walking will be fine :-). We definitely plan to do the Cliff Walk at FIrst before heading on to Bachalpsee. We’ll also definitely do the walk to Trummelbach Falls in Lauterbrunnen.

Re: travelling, we’re going to get the 3-day Jungfrau travel pass as we don’t plan to travel outside of the region during that time.

Thanks also for the paragliding companies link, that’s very helpful – I’ll check it out.

Cheers 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2022 at 7:05:10 #943741

Sorry, I missed the ‘adult’ from the ‘young adult kids’. 🙂 Yes, in this case, they will manage it 🙂

Jungfrau Travel Pass will be great for you then. You can see the validity map here: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfrautravelpass/validity. You can buy the pass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfrautravelpass/price.

A few more hiking tips and routes can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking.

Take care, I wish you a lovely holiday,

Ildiko

Suddenspiral
    Participant
    7 posts
    30 June 2022 at 7:38:18 #943742

Thanks!

RipC
    Participant
    2 posts
    1 July 2022 at 17:48:04 #943743

Hi! We are also doing something similar in staying 3 full days in the Jungfrau region. (4 nights). Your hike suggestions are wonderful – thank you!

We’re also thinking about getting the Jungfrau pass as we will be driving there and won’t have the Swiss Travel Pass.

Is there a website that shows the prices of the tickets to the various trains/funiculars/gondolas, so that we can compare and see if the Jungfrau Pass makes sense for our family of 5? We are based in Lauterbrunnen.

We are thinking of for going to Jungfraujoch on one day. On the way down, getting off at Eigergletscher, hiking to Alpiglen, and then take the train back to Kkleine Scheidgg and then Lauterbrunnen. I know even with the Jungfrau pass we will need to purchase the last part to the very top.

On another day, we may take the train to Schynige Platte and hike to First (possibly doing the cliff walk for those of us adventorous enough). Then taking the gondola back down to Grindelwald and then the train to Lauterbrunnen.

Not sure yet what we will do on the third day, but will check out your suggestions earlier!

Anna
    6355 posts
    1 July 2022 at 19:15:41 #943744

Hi RipC,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Based on your plans, I think getting the Jungfrau Travel Pass is a sensible option. Most of the attractions and destinations in the Jungfrau region are only accessible by public and mountain transportation so with a railpass you can avoid buying tickets for each trip.

You can check out the prices of each mountain transportation in the Jungfrau region from the official website. You can download a spreadsheet to compare cost and find useful tips on choosing the best railpass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass

Hope this gets you started.

Regards,

Anna

RipC
    Participant
    2 posts
    1 July 2022 at 21:44:28 #943745

Thanks for the info Anna! This website and threads have been very informative and helpful! Been reading a lot of the thread, and first time posting.

I will take a look at your links this weekend.

Really looking forward to visiting Switzerland!

Anna
    6355 posts
    2 July 2022 at 6:26:51 #943746

HI RipC,

Happy to help. If you have further concerns or questions, you can post them in a new thread here: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/miscellaneous

Regards,

Anna

Arno
    15483 posts
    2 July 2022 at 12:23:31 #943747

Hi RipC,

In addition to Anna’s tips: prices for many mountain routes can also be found in the general Swiss timetable. Please see the paragraph “How to find ticket prices (advanced timetable)” at https://www.myswissalps.com/timetable.

You’ll also find price examples, links to purchase options and/or links to price overviews at the “Tickets” tab of each of our attraction pages, e.g.

• The thread ‘Jungfrau region, 3 day itinerary critique’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.