Jungfrau Region as a day trip from Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 July 2018 at 19:37:45 #817605

Hi everyone,

Another one of my delightful day trips from Zurich to add to the list!

This time I headed to the Jungfrau region on a Saturday a few weeks ago.
    I took the fastest train options to do this trip and did not go via any “extra scenic” routes. As I have the local version of the Swiss Half Fare Card, I bought tickets as I went.

In a nutshell this is my route and where I bought tickets:

• Zurich to Wengen (via Bern)
      Tickets bought at a machine at Zurich HB
    • Wengen to Grindelwald (via Mannlichen)
      Bought 1 ticket at Wengen- Männlichen cable car station. The ticket was valid all the way to Grindelwald train station. I stopped enroute at Männlichen before continuing to Grindelwald BGF by a 2nd cable car and then a bus to Grindelwald station.
    • Grindelwald to Pfingstegg
      Walked to Pfingstegg cable car station (15 min) and bought the ticket at the office there
    • Grindelwald to First
      Walked from Pfingstegg to First cable car station (5 min) and bought the ticket at the office there
    • Grindelwald to Harder Kulm (via Interlaken)
      Walked to Grindelwald train station from First (10 min) and bought 3 tickets from the office (1 to Interlaken Ost, 1 to Harder Kulm return, and 1 from Interlaken Ost to Zurich HB).
    • Interlaken Ost to Zurich (via Bern)

A quick summary of my day trip:
    I departed my apartment at 05:30 and got home about 19:30. This was a long day! 😊 But some good pictures were taken.
    For those making multiple trips in one day I recommend getting the SBB app for your phone. Get a local Sim Card or wifi hotspot (http://www.myswissalps.com/si mcard) so you can check schedules (and buy tickets if needed) as you travel.

The trip went quite smoothly and even for a Saturday in July I had very short lines at all cable cars and train stations (the only exception was returning down Hard Kulm).

My first stop was in Wengen, where I walked through the town for about 25/30 minutes before proceeding by cable car up to Männlichen. From the church there were some great views towards the Jungfraujoch and Lauterbrunnen Valley.
    The Eiger Ultra Trail run was happening when I arrived. Some poor souls were doing a 101km trail run with 6700 meters in height difference. ☹
    This cable car holds 80 people with room on the roof as well (in the summer only). A short 5-minute ride but quite steep and high!
    After the short but steep trip up to Männlichen, I took the Royal Walk to the summit lookout point. This is about 15/20 minutes on a smooth trail that isn’t too steep until the last 75 meters. From here, you can get views over Wengen, Lauterbrunnen, Murren, Jungfraujoch, Grindelwald, Schynige Platte, Interlaken and Lake Thun. 360 degrees indeed!

Männlichen has a nice children’s playground, restaurant and guesthouse, as well as access to several hiking trails, including the well-known hike to Kleine Scheidegg. (https://www.myswissalp s.com/hiking/maennlich en-kleinescheidegg)

I then made my way to the cable car to Grindelwald. This gondola seats 4 people. It is small and old, but not as high off the ground as the cable car from Wengen…but it does last about 30 minutes!

From Grindelwald BGF station I walked 5 minutes to a bus stop and caught a bus to Grindelwald main station. From here I had planned to bus to Pfingstegg but the buses ran quite seldomly and aren’t much faster than walking. So, I walked through town on the main street and 15 minutes later I arrived at the Pfingstegg cable car office. The gondola to the top took about 5 minutes to the Pfingstegg.
    At Pfingstegg, I enjoyed lunch at the restaurant next to the cable car station. Just behind the restaurant is a small children’s playground and the summer toboggan run. Several hiking trails can be joined here. Some to Grosse Scheidegg and others towards the Grindelwald Glacier (Gletscherschlucht).

After lunch I returned to Grindelwald by cable car and walked a few minutes to the Firstbahn to take the cable car to First.
    This cable car takes about 30 minutes to get to the the summit, via Bort and Schreckfeld stations. Bort station has a guesthouse, restaurant and large children’s playground, as well as the Trotti bike rentals to travel down to Grindelwald.
    The next station, Schreckfeld, is quite close to the First summit and is where you can start the First Glider (between Schreckfeld and First summit) and take the Mountain Carts down to Bort.

PS the gondola doors open automatically at Bort and Schreckfeld for guests wanting to get off there but I think many tourists get off here thinking it is the summit.

Finally, you reach the First summit. From here you can also eat at the restaurant, do the Cliff Walk (free), take the First Flyer or hike to the Bachalpsee or Grosse Scheidegg.
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/hiking/bachsee
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/hiking/first-grossescheidegg
    With the hiking options and adventure sports (extra cost) First mountain is definitely one where you can spend most of a day at.

Next, I returned down by cable car and made my way to Grindelwald train station (10-minute walk). From here I bought tickets to Interlaken Ost, Harder Kulm and back to Zurich all at the same time (and got a few train connections printed out as well for Interlaken Ost to Zurich so I could better time my return from Harder Kulm).

The Harderbahn funicular station to Harder Kulm is a 5-minute walk from Interlaken Ost station and very easy to add on to your day even when transiting through Interlaken. The cable car ride is about 10 minutes and you only have a 5-minute walk to the restaurant and viewpoint.

For hardier folk than I (or ones that have more time) you can hike up Harder Kulm in about 2 or 2.5 hours. At the top is a restaurant and viewpoint as well as access to other hiking trails.

There ends my day! If I had an extra day I would have had an overnight somewhere (Grindelwald might have been most convenient for my itinerary) and split the day into 2 more equal parts, allowing more time for hikes in the area, including a trip to Mürren (https://www.myswissalp s.com/murren/travel). Well if I had more time I’d spend a week there I suppose! 🙂

I hope this helps with any member’s trip plans to the area. I do recommend taking more time than I did though! Any questions please ask away!

A few Pictures attached.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    31 July 2018 at 22:55:19 #892980

Thanks Lucas. Great report and fab fotos. The view from Mannlichen is quite something. 😎

ps Shouldn’t this be in Trip Reports?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 August 2018 at 6:16:53 #892981

Haha. How did I do that?! 😉

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 August 2018 at 8:31:22 #892982

OK, that’s it, I’m making your Mannlichen looking towards Jungfraujoch my desktop wallpaper. It just makes me want to hop on the next plane. I showed my next door neighbour. He is visiting Switzerland in September. He’s getting excited.

Arno
    15471 posts
    1 August 2018 at 14:47:46 #892983

Now that’s an impressive day. Thanks Lucas!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 August 2018 at 14:52:48 #892984

Thanks Rockoyster – a great viewpoint at Mannlichen!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 August 2018 at 2:47:51 #892985

We loved the views from Mannlichen, they are great as soon as you get off the cable care, but definitely take the time to do the Royal Walk because the vistas only get better! And if you have kids with you, there are fun info points with local and mountaineering info along the trail that help keep them walking. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 August 2018 at 11:34:07 #892986

Yes, I thought Männlichen was the highlight that day for sure!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2018 at 22:59:07 #892987

just trying to catch up on the trip reports I have missed! nice one Lucas – keep them coming – day trip reports like yours are very useful for folk thinking perhaps “what shall we do day after tomorrow?” or some such! Nice photos too.

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2018 at 8:17:31 #892988

Thanks Maggie!

I’ve got a Zugerberg write up coming soon.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2018 at 23:45:11 #892989

Looking forward to that one Lucas. We loved Zugerberg!

maggie

• The thread ‘Jungfrau Region as a day trip from Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.