Jungfrau region & Chamonix in August

• Lenaloh92
    Participant
    4 posts
    31 May 2022 at 16:16:38 #827366

Hello,

We are in a group of 7 travelling to Switzerland in August. I have a few questions to ask.

First, does the Swiss Pass cover the entire journey from Montreux to Chamonix-Aiguille du Midi?

Secondly, can we use CHF in Chamonix?

Last, we are planning to visit First, Jungfraujoch, Lauterbrunnen, Kleine Scheidegg, Wengen & Harder Kulm. Is the Jungfrau Travel Pass/Top of Europe Pass suitable for us? Or would it be cheaper to buy a point-to-point ticket (25% for Swiss Travel Pass)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Lena

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6355 posts
    31 May 2022 at 19:23:31 #942642

Hi Lenaloh92,

If you are travelling via Martigny to Chamonix, with the Swiss Travel Pass you’ll travel for free up to the border (Le Châtelard Frontière): https://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity. From this station to Chamonix you a need a ticket.

I’m not sure if Swiss Francs is accepted in Chamonix. Best to have Euros with you as that is the official currency.

Lastly, the Jungfrau Travel Pass is ideal If you prefer the convenience of not having to buy tickets for each mountain excursion. But whether it provides the best value against just using the Swiss Travel Pass, you’d have to do the math. You can download the spreadsheet to do a quick comparison here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2022 at 23:10:15 #942643

Chamonix is in France, so you should not attempt to use Swiss Francs (although of course what you use is irrelevant ‘on the ground’ if you use a bank card. Swiss railway tickets are only valid in Switzerland or on a small number of railways owned by Swiss railways in other countries. The latter does not apply to the railway to Chamonix which is French from Swiss border at Le Chatelard

Around Chamonix, the main ‘uphill transport’ attractions are:

Aiguille du Midi cable car

Chamonix – Montenvers rack railway to the Mer de Glace glacier

Tramway du Mont Blanc from St Gervais to Glacier du Bionnasay (part way up Mont Blanc)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2022 at 6:34:30 #942644

Hi Lena,

I’ve been in the Chamonix region last weekend and they accept Euros (or bank cards). Swiss Franc is not accepted.

Have a great holiday,

Ildiko

Drexelius
    Participant
    20 posts
    1 June 2022 at 17:04:45 #942645

Is this a recent change? I was under the impression that the STP was valid all the way to Chamonix by using the Mont Blanc Express route. Has this changed in recent years?

Thanks, Bob

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2022 at 18:32:45 #942646

Hi Bob,

I am not sure how was it before, but for now it is quite sure that you can only travel til the border Le Châtelard Frontière. Please have a look at the validity map of the Swiss Travel Pass: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity

Ildiko

• The thread ‘Jungfrau region & Chamonix in August’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.