About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Jungfrau region & Chamonix in August
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

Jungfrau region & Chamonix in August

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Lenaloh92
Lenaloh92
4 posts
May 31, 2022 - 4:16 PM

Hello,

We are in a group of 7 travelling to Switzerland in August. I have a few questions to ask.

First, does the Swiss Pass cover the entire journey from Montreux to Chamonix-Aiguille du Midi?

Secondly, can we use CHF in Chamonix?

Last, we are planning to visit First, Jungfraujoch, Lauterbrunnen, Kleine Scheidegg, Wengen & Harder Kulm. Is the Jungfrau Travel Pass/Top of Europe Pass suitable for us? Or would it be cheaper to buy a point-to-point ticket (25% for Swiss Travel Pass)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Lena

Last modified on May 31, 2022 - 4:21 PM by Lenaloh92
Anna
Anna
3229 posts
expert &
May 31, 2022 - 7:23 PM in reply to Lenaloh92

Hi Lenaloh92,

If you are travelling via Martigny to Chamonix, with the Swiss Travel Pass you'll travel for free up to the border (Le Châtelard Frontière): https://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity. From this station to Chamonix you a need a ticket.

I'm not sure if Swiss Francs is accepted in Chamonix. Best to have Euros with you as that is the official currency.

Lastly, the Jungfrau Travel Pass is ideal If you prefer the convenience of not having to buy tickets for each mountain excursion. But whether it provides the best value against just using the Swiss Travel Pass, you'd have to do the math. You can download the spreadsheet to do a quick comparison here: www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass

Regards,

Anna

Last modified on Jun 1, 2022 - 9:47 AM by Arno
1960man
1960man
3787 posts
expert
May 31, 2022 - 11:10 PM in reply to Lenaloh92

Chamonix is in France, so you should not attempt to use Swiss Francs (although of course what you use is irrelevant 'on the ground' if you use a bank card. Swiss railway tickets are only valid in Switzerland or on a small number of railways owned by Swiss railways in other countries. The latter does not apply to the railway to Chamonix which is French from Swiss border at Le Chatelard

Around Chamonix, the main 'uphill transport' attractions are:

Aiguille du Midi cable car

Chamonix - Montenvers rack railway to the Mer de Glace glacier

Tramway du Mont Blanc from St Gervais to Glacier du Bionnasay (part way up Mont Blanc)

Ildiko
Ildiko
2128 posts
top member &
Jun 1, 2022 - 6:34 AM in reply to Lenaloh92

Hi Lena,

I've been in the Chamonix region last weekend and they accept Euros (or bank cards). Swiss Franc is not accepted.

Have a great holiday,

Ildiko

Drexelius
Drexelius
20 posts
Jun 1, 2022 - 5:04 PM in reply to Anna

Is this a recent change? I was under the impression that the STP was valid all the way to Chamonix by using the Mont Blanc Express route. Has this changed in recent years?

Thanks, Bob

Last modified on Jun 1, 2022 - 5:27 PM by Drexelius
Ildiko
Ildiko
2128 posts
top member &
Jun 1, 2022 - 6:32 PM in reply to Drexelius

Hi Bob,

I am not sure how was it before, but for now it is quite sure that you can only travel til the border Le Châtelard Frontière. Please have a look at the validity map of the Swiss Travel Pass: www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity

Ildiko

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2022