Covering the Jungfrau Region in one day

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2019 at 6:37:41 #822427

Hi,

From Lucerne, will be arriving Interlaken on 10th July in the morning and only have one day to spend, leaving the next morning.

One would typically do full day excursion Jungfraujoch top of Europe, but I have also heard a lot about Grindelwald First (with all the rides, scenery aside).

So the question is, is it realistically possible that in 1 day, we cover the areas by taking the route Lauterbrunnen-Jungfrau-Grindelwald-Grindelwald First before returning to area near Interlaken OST?

Thanks for the advice.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    23 June 2019 at 9:04:02 #915879

Hi LawWS, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It is possible. Leave Lucerne at 6:06 and arrive at Jungfraujoch at 10:05. Take your selfie and go on to Grindelwald…

Wether it is realistic is up to your judgement. Plan it, and decide on the spot.

Enjoy the trip!

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    23 June 2019 at 9:09:23 #915880

There is even a train that leaves Lucerne shortly after 4:00 am. You could arrive at First at 11:16 am after having been to Schilthorn, then Jungfraujoch (and spend around 10 minutes at each).

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 June 2019 at 10:17:22 #915881

Hi LawWS –

Snowman has used the timetable to determine those times:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

That is a valuable page explaining an invaluable tool.

You will possibly find a map to be useful. My preferred map for traveling in Switzerland is this one:

map.search.ch/

Zoomed in with transport stops turned on:

map.search.ch/?pos=644151,163664&z=32 &poi=bergbahn,halteste lle,zug

Mouse over an icon to get the exact official name for use in the timetable.

Slowpoke

PS- You might consider spending the time near Luzern itself. Quite nice, but not as spectacular as the Bernese Oberland. Titlis is closer than the BO.

Also, in the BO, opinions vary on the value for money of the Jungfraujoch trip….especially if you have no time to spend up at the top. If cloudy, you won’t see much but the inside of a cloud, by the way.

http://www.meteocentrale.ch/e n/europe/switzerland/w eather-jungfraujoch/details/S 067300/

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    23 June 2019 at 12:52:15 #915882

Several travellers (not all) want to coveras much as possible, but don’t specify what they mean when they use the word “cover”.

I hear you can order selfies from a website to whom you just send one or more picture of yourself/selves and they will make a “selfie” with it in front of a selected scenery, for about USD 10 if you wear the appropriate clothing ( for Jungfraujoch or Matterhorn, say, a windcheater, sunglasses and a woolen hat), or USD 30 if they have to “dress” you. If you are interested let me know and I will send you the link. Really cheap and much less tiring, for the same result, comparing to taking pains of actually going there for no other reason.

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 June 2019 at 12:59:56 #915883

Hi Snowman,

Even without knowing LawWS’s exact expectations, we can safely assume that this is not what they want. Let’s ask questions and propose options that can actually be done within a day in the region.

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 June 2019 at 13:02:07 #915884

Hi LawWS,

If you want to see a lot of the region then this suggestion might be helpful: http://www.myswissalps.com/on edayjungfrauregion. It’s all weather dependent of course. You will need a backup plan if all the mountains are covered in clouds.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    23 June 2019 at 13:04:07 #915885

Hi Arno,

Of course you are right. I hope I did not offend anyone, and I apologize if I did.

The Internet is not really a place to practice caustic humor, and, moreover, I should remember my own wishes when I travel to a country I have never been before.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2019 at 13:35:00 #915886

Hi all, no offence taken! (:

Thanks for all your valuable inputs, will definitely be taking your suggestions into consideration!

• The thread ‘Covering the Jungfrau Region in one day’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.