1 day in Jungfrau region – itinerary and questions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2018 at 3:15:56 #814724

Hello! My family of 4 (two 45-years-old-adults, 18 year old daughter, & 15 year old son) will visit Switzerland from Milan on June 15th – 18th. There are a few questions that I would like to ask. We are fond of nature scenes and would like to experience snow/view snow from a far and also we have booked accomodation in Luzern.

[QUESTION 01] Is this itinerary doable?

* Interlaken (1 – 2 hours)

– 08.06 to 09.55 : Arrive at Interlaken OST via Golden Line Pass (2 hours journey)

– Mount Harder Kulm

– Lake Brienz (optional)

– 13.05 to 13.25 : Way to Lauterbrunnen

* Lauterbrunnen

QUESTION 02] Just a stop and directly go to Grutschalp?

* Grutschalp (30 minutes – 1 hour)

– Hike to Murren (1650m) / by cogwheel train

* Murren (2.5 hours)

– Go to Schiltorn (Thrill Walk Felsensteg Birg, Sphinx Observatory, Allmendhubel, Flower Trail)

– Go to Gimmelwald via cable car

* Gimmelwald (1 hour)

– Go to Stechelberg via cable car which is back down in the valley

* Stechelberg (30 mins – 1 hour)

– Go to Lauterbrunnen via bus

* Lauterbrunnen (1.5 hours)

– Trummelbach Falls (between Stechelberg & Lauterbrunnen bus stops)

– Staubbach Falls

– Lauterbrunnen Valley

* Interlaken to Kleine Scheidegg via Lauterbrunnen-Wengen / via Grindelwald

* Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch

* Jungfraujoch

* Jungfrajoch to Wengen/Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen (maybe)

[QUESTION 03] Where can I find the timetable for the this (2nd route)? I can’t find it in myswissalps timetable..

[QUESTION 04] For the trip to Jungfraujoch, is this a separated journey (I can explore ex: Grindelwald for some period?) or is it one direct whole train trip?

[QUESTION 05] If I use Eurail pass, I don’t need to buy another train tickets. Is it ture? Just confirming 🙂

[QUESTION 06] What time is it for the sky turns dark (evening or sunset time)? Is it 9.30 PM, according to this website?

[QUESTION 07] Is it alright to wear Converse and other sport/running shoes in Switzerland? Especially in Mount Titlis and Jungfrau region.

Sorry for the long post and questions. Thank you! 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 March 2018 at 9:09:44 #878504

Q1. Sure.

Q2. Not sure what the question is.

Q3. Try http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.htm l

Q4. You can hop off at Grindelwald and wander about.

Q5. Eurail pass only provides 25% discount on anything in Jungfrau Region south of Interlaken. You will see a large sign at Interlaken Ost saying you can’t use Eurail Pass beyond here. It means you have to by the discount tickets to proceed further.

Q6. You didn’t mention which website but 9.30pm sounds a bit late in June.

Q7. I wore Rockport walking shoes to Mürren in June. I’m not familiar with Converse.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2018 at 10:53:47 #878505

Hi keizzzy,

You would like to do all these activities in one day? The Jungfrau trip will take 4hrs train time up and back.

Q3. I managed to do it via the Swiss timetable. You could do a circular route as describes here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/gettingther e.

Q6. 9.30 pm is about right.

Q7. You mean like the ‘simple’ Converse sneakers? I wouldn’t wear those. Especially not for Mt Titlis. I walk/hike a lot on running shoes, but if I know that there’s a steep incline/decline or a graveled path I prefer shoes with a better grip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 13:25:42 #878506

Thank you rockoyster and Chantal for your replies!

rockoyster :

I just realized Q2 is so weird. What I meant is that I should just directly go to Grutschalp without wandering around Lauterbrunnen as I will explore it at the end of the day. But nevermind lol. For the sunset time, I found it here: http://www.myswissalps.com/time

Chantal :

Yes, I am aware of this. I think I kind of rush things as this might be a once in a lifetime trip/and I have limited time to visit. If I could not make it maybe I will removed some of the points of interests..

And yes it’s the simple Converse. Oh I see.. Alright I will comply to your suggestion.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 18:56:24 #878507

Hi,

Sounds like a fun trip! My husband and I just took our son through Zurich & Murren. I actually just wrote a blog post that has details on our travel (things to do/getting around/eating/etc.) — may prove to be helpful to you!

http://www.thelush.us/traveli ng-to-switzerland-zurich-murren/

Have a wonderful time!

Lauren

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 12:58:13 #878508

Thank you Laureng! I will definitely read your post 🙂

• The thread ‘1 day in Jungfrau region – itinerary and questions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.