Jungfrau Travel Pass itinerary in May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2018 at 18:22:27 #814158

Hello and thanks in advance for your help. I have been studying the types of Swiss passes and reading maps for several months. This is what I have concluded and would like someone to verify if I am understanding everything correctly.

We will be staying in Lauterbrunnen for 3 days in mid-May. We are wanting to walk as much as possible, but know most trails in higher elevations will be closed. However, walking from Murren/Gimmelwald is doable. Exploring Wengen, Wengernalp, Grindelwald, maybe First via cable car, and many of the other towns and lower elevation paths look great to us. Also, a quick trip to Interlaken to visit Harder Kulm is on the agenda. We would like to take the train ride up to Klein Scheidegg for views and, weather permitting, travel up to Junfraujoch. I have priced point to point tickets and compared to the Jungfrau Region Pass and Half Fare pass, and think the Jungfrau pass is the best option. My understanding is that trains/cable cars, etc., to all the places I have mentioned will be free with the pass EXCEPT Jungfraujoch. In that case we get a 50% discount from Eigergletscher to Top of Europe, making it way more affordable than without a pass. Do I have this right?

Thank you again.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 January 2018 at 23:40:54 #875207

Hi phl68 and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Yes you have it pretty right. This map myswissalps-doc.r.worldssl.net/doc s/default-source/rail-network-maps/jungfrautravelpas s-map.pdf?sfvrsn=8 shows what is covered by the Jungfrau Travel Pass and also what transport options are available.

Read the post by Kim on this thread http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/traveling-to-berner-oberland-in-late-may. It covers later in May but may still be useful to you.

In doing your calculations have you factored in getting to and from Lauterbrunnen from wherever you are arriving/departing Switzerland? Have you considered Wengen as a base? It is car-free and already much higher than Lauterbrunnen which is at the base of the valley. Magnificent views and only 15 minutes from Lauterbrunnen.

From Lauterbrunnen a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (cogwheel train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you can easily visit Schilthorn (25% off with Jungfrau Travel Pass or free with Swiss Travel Pass) if you have time. In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls. Well worth a look. All these places are searcheable on the MySwissAlps website.

• The thread ‘Jungfrau Travel Pass itinerary in May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.