Quick trip First, Jungfrau, Gornergrat, Matterhorn

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2017 at 1:56:38 #812462

Hello Everyone,

I will be travelling in Switzerland in August and have a few queries regarding itineraries and passes.

1. Firstly, does the Jungfrau travel pass cover, or offer a discount for the First Adventure Card?

2. Second, I am staying in Lauterbrunnen for 3 nights and am hoping to squeeze a visit to First, including the zipline, mountain cart, trotti bike descent in a morning, followed by the Top of Europe trip to Jungfraujoch in the afternoon of the same day. Is this feasible, or too tight a time frame. Am I likely to encounter long delays for the First Flieger in the morning at that time of year? Anything else I need to consider which could contribute to delays if you believe that itinerary is even possible?

3. Following Lauterbrunnen I am moving on to Zermatt for a couple of nights and similarly, plan on visiting Gornergrat in the morning, followed by Klein Matterhorn Glacier Paradise in the afternoon. After reading some other threads in the forum I believe this is manageable, but again, set me straight if I am being over ambitious.

Thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    1 July 2017 at 8:19:04 #865999

Hi and welcome LanceLewtas!

1. What’s included in the Jungfrau Travel Pass can be found on the map here. It includes the ride to First, so you can buy the cheaper Adventure Card without the ride up.

2. It can be done if you start early. I’d recommend to check the weather forecast and go up to Jungfraujoch when the weather is best, so not necessarily in the afternoon. I don’t know about delays, it depends on the day. You’re there in high season though, so there will be more people doing this.

3. Yes, Gornergrat and Klein Matterhorn can be done on one day. Again, if you start early and the weather is good enough 🙂

Since you’ll be traveling in more than one region I wonder if the Jungfrau Travel Pass is your best bet. You may want to consider the Swiss Half Fare Card and Swiss Travel Pass as well. If you do the math based on all of your travel plans (including in and outbound trips) you’ll know for sure.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2017 at 0:21:33 #866000

Thanks Arno,

I think you are right, after checking prices, routes etc (I now have a headache that won’t go away) the Half Fare card seems like the best choice.

Seems like my best option is probably just to play it by ear regarding weather, timing etc when I actually get there. If I manage to do Jungfrau and First in one day, good, otherwise I will just have to spread it across multiple days and juggle other plans to suit.

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 July 2017 at 9:15:03 #866001

Yes, that’s the best approach! Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2017 at 4:50:50 #866002

We were at First yesterday, the line for Flyer was 1.5-2 hours long. We skipped it but did carts and trotti which were fun. We left Wengen at about 10 am. Cable car to Mannlichen, walk to Klein Scheidegg. Cloudy/foggy. Coffee waiting for clouds to clear, they didn’t. Train down to Grindelwald. Walk to First cable car, ride up. Lunch. Cliff Walk and little walk around (not to lake). Then Cart and Trotti down. Train back to Wengen, home around 6:30.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2017 at 4:24:19 #866003

Hi elbar and thanks for your reply.

I’m hoping the flyer lines will be a little shorter midweek in late August although I’m probably kidding myself. Had you done the Flyer before this trip?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2017 at 4:46:43 #866004

Have done lots of ziplines, but not that one. A short ride for a long wait. I suspect the line is always long in afternoon since everyone goes up, does whatever hikes they want and then start back down. I would suggest going there first thing since the gondola ride back to the top is short. I wouldn’t buy the flyer ticket until you are up there; they sell them right in line, you don’t have to buy them at the cable car.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 July 2017 at 7:30:53 #866005

Hi elbarcosr1 –

There is a tendency for clouds to gather around the Jungfraujoch in the afternoon, and across the north face of the Eiger, even on a clear day……far from a sure thing, but, on average, the morning is a better bet than the afternoon.

What has your experience been?

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Quick trip First, Jungfrau, Gornergrat, Matterhorn’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.