Questions about reaching Jungfraujoch and weather

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2019 at 0:25:07 #823955
    1. Is it possible to check Jungfraujoch weather from Interlaken? Or, do you have to go to Kleine Scheidegg to do that?
    2. Can we drive to Lauterbrunnen station, park, then buy train ticket to Kleine Scheidegg and Good Morning Ticket to Jungfraujoch?
    3. If we take the 8am or 8:30am cable car from Kleine Sheidegg to Jungfraujoch, will we have enough time to do Sphinx Observator, Monchsjoch and Ice Palace before taking the 1:13pm train down to Kleine Scheidegg? We don’t want to rush through anything.
    4. Does the Jungfrau Eiger Walk go from Klein Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch? Or, will you still have to take a cable car to get to Jungfraujoch? If yes, wouldn’t that save a lot of money on the expensive cable car?

Appreciate any feedback you can provide.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2019 at 5:51:25 #922554

Hello Rughtravel,

First of all I’m sorry to say you won’t be taking a cable car to the Jungfraujoch. The Jungfraujoch is Europe’s highest TRAIN station, so you’ll be travelling by cogwheel train. See details on the possibilities to reach there as well as more helpful information about the Jungfraujoch in the according tabs of below link:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/gettingther e

In general spending about 2 hours on the Jungfraujoch is more than enough to do the entire walking tour, visit the Sphinx, the Glacier Palace, etc and have a little snack. Often, the altitude starts to “kick inn” after about that time.

You will have to go at least to the Kleine Scheidegg to get a direct view of the Jungfraujoch and see if it’s open, but even that will not guarantee that the situation is the same when you arrive, as the weather in the mountains can change very quickly. On the MeteoSWISS app you’ll find below there is a forecast for the Jungfraujoch you can look at and you will also find webcams on the net.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/practic al/websites
    http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather/forecast

And the Eiger Walk is from the Kleine Scheidegg to the station “Eiger Glacier”, on the train Kleine Scheidegg – Jungfraujoch.

Hope this helps.

Best,
    Steph

Meemskirk
    Participant
    84 posts
    23 September 2019 at 10:40:54 #922555

A few more thoughts from our visit a few weeks ago:

1. You can see live weather cams through the JF sites. Someone told us it was raining in the valley in the morning but it was lovely up on top that day around noon.

2. Yes

3. Yes. The Monchsjoch will take 2 hours RT depending on your pace and if you take a lunch break at the hut. (It took me 50 min there and 30 min back).

4. You can only get to Jungfraujoch by the train. There are several Eiger trails. The more challenging one along its base goes 3.73 miles from the station Eigergletscher to Alpiglen station. It was very exhilarating and took us 4 hours going with many detours (including to the Rotstock climbers trail start) and stops. Enjoy.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2019 at 16:14:11 #922556

Thank you both so much for the quick replies.

Steph, especially the part about altitude starts “kicking in” after 2 hours. I live at sea level so perhaps Monchsjoch would be out of the question or I should take high altitude medication.

Meemskirk, your post was extremely helpful.

Pardon the ignorance. Are cable car, cogwheel and train are same vehicle for going from Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch?

This is my plan. Take the cable car/cogwheel/train from Interlaken OST to Kleine Scheidegg. Check out the weather. Then go on to Jungfraujoch if weather looks good.

The only thing is that I read that during summer months, the Good Morning Tickets need to be purchased ahead of time. If that is the case, I can be at Kleine Scheidegg and not able to buy the Good Morning Tickets. That would be a bummer!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2019 at 18:02:54 #922557

Hello Rughtravel,

You’re very welcome! If you live at see level then I would recommend omitting the Mönchsjoch/Mönchshütte walk, as it’s 45 minutes one way.

I would NOT take any medication, but just make sure that you have a good breakfast that day, drink enough of water and have an extra piece or two of chocolate with you, to keep your blood sugar relatively high (as far as your health allows), that’s what I always recommend to the guests on tour with me and it’s normally enough and everybody fine.

A clarification on cable car, cogwheel and train. A cable car is a cabin which travels on a cable IN THE AIR, whereas a cogwheel train is a special type of train with a “cograil” for extra security. So the latter two travel ON GROUND.

Best,
    Steph

• The thread ‘Questions about reaching Jungfraujoch and weather’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.