Where to board the Jungfraujoch train?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2018 at 22:36:09 #814933

My wife and I will be staying in Lauterbrunnen in early May 2018 and we are looking forward to going up to the Jungfraujoch. Would someone please advise us where we need to board the train? We can travel by car to the station. Also, do we need to book our tickets beforehand? If someone could help us we would be very grateful.

Adrian & Ann OConnell

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 March 2018 at 23:16:08 #879691

Hello Adrain and Anne and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

If you are staying at Lauterbrunnen you can get a train from there to Jungfraujoch via Wengen.

Just buy the ticket at Lauterbrunnen station when you know the weather will be OK. It is an expensive trip if all you do is end up studying the inside of clouds. There should be no need to book ahead at that time of year.

Also from Lauterbrunnen a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (cogwheel train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you can easily visit Schilthorn and/or Allmendhubel (if the funicular is running when you are there) if you have time. In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls. Well worth a look. All these places are searcheable on the MySwissAlps website.

It would be remiss of me if I didn’t ask whether you have read this http://www.myswissalps.com/ca rversustrain. 🤓

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2018 at 3:56:58 #879692

Hi Adrian and Ann,

This page will also be useful:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/gettingther e

You will see that there is a circular route up to and back from the Jungfraujoch. You can go up via Grindelwald and down via Wengen and Lauterbrunnen (or vice versa).

I have attached a diagram that might help you visualise both routes. Most people go up one way and down the other, as each route has very different scenery – all of which is dramatically beautiful.

My recommendation would be to go up via Grindelwald (despite the fact that you are starting from Lauterbrunnen), and down via Wengen.

This would give you the opportunity to alight at Wengen for a stroll through the village and to the lookout. Here are directions to the lookout:

From the station, head left up the main street lined with shops and hotels (Dorfstrasse), past the Hotel Silberhorn on the right, Männlichen cable car on the right, Hotel Bernerhof on the left, and uphill a bit past the Hotel Schönegg on the right and a chemist on the left. At the top of the hill, you will see a path on the left leading to the Swiss Protestant Church, where there is a lookout and seats. I have attached a map, and a photo showing the view from the lookout.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2018 at 3:14:57 #879693

>> staying in Lauterbrunnen in early May 2018

The train to the Jungfraujoch operates all year, but the time of your visit coincides with the period when much of the mountain transport in the area will be closed for maintenance. Here are the details, which will hopefully allow you to make the best use of your time in the area:

Operating

• Gondola Grindelwald to First
    • Bus Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg
    • Cable car Stechelberg-Gimmelwald-Mürren-Schilthorn
    • Cable car Lauterbrunnen-Grütschalp (closed 30 April-4 May 2018, operating from 5 May)
    • Funicular Interlaken-Harder Kulm
    • Boats on the Brienzersee and Thunersee (Lakes Brienz and Thun)

Trümmelbach Falls will be open.

Not operating

• Gondola Grindelwald-Männlichen (closed 3 April-25 May 2018; however, if weather is nice, it might also operate Sat, Sun, Mon 19-21 May)
    • Cable car Wengen-Männlichen (closed 3 April-31 May 2018)
    • Funicular Mürren-Allmendhubel (closed 9 April-22 June 2018)
    • Train Wilderswil-Schynige Platte (reopens 26 May 2018)

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2018 at 14:35:13 #879694

Alpenrose666,

Thank you so much for your reply and for the invaluable information it contained. We will make full use of it!

Adrian & Ann OConnell

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2018 at 14:38:30 #879695

Alpenrose666,

Your information is impeccable. Lots to think about now.

Thanks again.

Adrian & Ann OConnell

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2018 at 14:51:15 #879696

rock oyster,

Thank you so much for your reply and for the invaluable information, including the link which I had not seen.

Lots to think about now.

Thank you again,

Adrian & Ann OConnell

• The thread ‘Where to board the Jungfraujoch train?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.