Jungfraujoch and 2 hikes in 1 day?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2020 at 10:20:40 #825654

Hi, I will be visiting Switzerland next week and I’m planning to go to Jungfraujoch. Before I did this though, I wanted to hike to Kleine Scheidegg from Mannlichen. Also, after visiting the Jungfraujoch I wanted to hike the Eiger trail from Eigergletscher to Alpiglen and then catch the train to Wengen. I’ll be staying in Interlaken and will probably get the 7:30am (or thereabouts) train at the start of the day. Does anyone know if I will have enough time to do all this in one day as a lot of people say the Jungfraujoch alone is a day trip? I only have 4 full days in the Interlaken area and have planned pretty full days as I want to squeeze in as much as possible but still have time to enjoy it all at my own pace. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    16 August 2020 at 17:25:03 #934128

You could do all that in one day but in a different order. I did this myself last year but not in one day. I did it in 2 half days but it can easily be done in one day.

Take the train from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen to Wengen. Take the cable car from Wengen up to Mannlichen. Hike to Kleine Scheidegg. From there you could hike up to the start of the Eiger trail or take the train (5 min) up to the Eigergletscher railway station. Get off there and hike down to Alpiglen. From there you could either take the train back to Kleine Scheidegg and then on down to Wengen and then your home base or maybe for a change of scenery, take the train from Alpiglen to Grindelwald and then your home base from there. Both were fun options for me.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2020 at 17:46:42 #934129

Thanks for replying. I think I will have to look at the order again and take your advice. It does make more sense to do it that way. Thank you!

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    17 August 2020 at 0:27:39 #934130

Hi Claudia

If you want to do all 3 in 1 day, stick to your original plan. Train to Wengen, cable car to Mannlichen, walk to KS, train to Jungfraujoch, return by train and get off at Eigergletscher station, walk the Eiger trail to Alpiglen, train to Interlaken either by way of Grindelwald or back the other way through Wengen.

Approximate hiking times are Mannlichen to KS 1.2 hrs, Eiger trail from Eigergletscher to Alpiglen 2.50 hrs. So it depends on how much time you spend at Jungfraujoch as to whether you can do it all in a day. I have hiked most all the trails in the Jungfrau area but have never been interested in going to Jungfraujoch (touristy, expensive, and often crowded) but reportedly some people spend most of a day there but typically a half day is common and i expect you could spend less.

If you should decide on splitting it between 2 days then pkerr’s itinerary is fine. I would encourage you to hike from KS to Eigergletscher (1.20 hrs). It is short and moderately steep but in my opinion it has an especially nice view of Jungfrau and Monch up close and pretty valleys on either side.

mark

Anna
    6382 posts
    17 August 2020 at 5:53:59 #934131

Hi claudiathep,

With good planning, it is possible to combine those hikes with a visit to Jungfraujoch in one day. Make use of the SBB timetable to plan your departure and arrival to minimise waiting time before and after your hikes.

Details of the hikes are provided in the links below:

Details about tickets to Jungfraujoch here: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfraujoch/tickets

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2020 at 21:21:44 #934132

Whatever way you do it, if you end the process at Alpiglen you shouldn’t go from there to Wengen as Apliglen is above Grindelwald and the faster way back to Interlaken would be Alpiglen – Grindelwald – Interlaken

• The thread ‘Jungfraujoch and 2 hikes in 1 day?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.