Jungfraujoch day trip: train & attractions tickets

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2018 at 0:28:23 #814412

Could you please advise for Swiss Travel Pass holder do we need to buy train ticket from Lauterbrunnen to Kleine Scheidegg section or that is included in Swiss Travel Pass ? I understood I need to buy train ticket from Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch but not sure between Kleine Scheidegg and Lauterbrunnen or Klaine Scheidegg and Grindelwald.

Another question Could you please confirm once we buy train ticket to Jungfraujoch do we need to buy also tickets to see attractions like: alpine sensation, ice palace, see of ice, sphinx observation deck etc ?

Last question do we have to buy ticket to Snow fun park to walk outside once in Jungfraujoch ? Or it is possible to step outside without ticket to snow fun park?

Thanks for your help. – Peter

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 February 2018 at 2:16:58 #876647

Hello Peter and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

The Swiss Travel Pass covers you from Interlaken to Wengen or Grindelwald. Beyond that the discount is 25%.

Once you reach the top you can access all the facilities.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2018 at 4:09:26 #876648

Hi Peter,

>> Could you please confirm once we buy train ticket to Jungfraujoch do we need to buy also tickets to see attractions like: alpine sensation, ice palace, see of ice, sphinx observation deck etc ?

No, they are all free.

>> do we have to buy ticket to Snow fun park to walk outside once in Jungfraujoch ? Or it is possible to step outside without ticket to snow fun park?

No, if you don’t want to go the the Snow Fun Park, you can just step outside onto the snow on the Plateau at no extra cost.

You can see some photos taken on the Jungfraujoch Plateau attached to my post of Mar 1, 2017 – 10:12 PM on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/itinerary-questions

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2018 at 7:52:23 #876649

Hi Peter,

Further to rockoyster’s and Alpenrose’s responses, you can find more information about how to get to the Jungfraujoch on this page.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2018 at 2:12:55 #876650

Thank you very much for all the information.

Could you please also advise if I buy ticket to Jungfraujoch from Wengen or Grindelwald for example for 9:00am few months a head of time and I missed that train does it mean my ticket is lost or I could take later train providing there is space available ?

Thanks – Peter

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 February 2018 at 4:30:14 #876651

Don’t buy tickets a few months ahead of time. Wait and see what the weather forecast is on the day and decide if you want to go then. It is a lot of money to spend if all you end up doing is inspecting the inside of a cloud.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2018 at 8:02:27 #876652

Typically if you buy a ticket for the 9am train and miss it you are ok 0 Swiss railway tickets are fine for any train that day. Often online companies will sell tickets for a specific time though so be careful.

In the end though, follow Rockoyster’s advice!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2018 at 19:10:02 #876653

Thanks that is very good point !

Just to make sure I understood correctly how ticket system is working, if I buy ticket using following site a head of time: http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/jungfraujoch-top-of-europe/ and ticket is for example for 9:00am specific day. Is that ticket valid for that specific whole day or if I missed 9:00am ticket becomes invalid ?

Thanks again – Peter

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2018 at 19:40:20 #876654

Hi Peter,

You can reserve a ticket for a specific time on that site for an extra cost (it is optional).

I would just buy a ticket the morning of departure at the rail station once you know the weather looks good.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 February 2018 at 21:09:01 #876655

Thank you for the recommendation. I have couple more questions. Reading different websites I am not sure how busy it is on Jun 21 ? Some people recommend to buy ticket and reserve seat a head of time. Otherwise they warn I might not be able to get on train. Could you please advise if this is necessary ?

Another question how bad the weather could get in end of the June in Jungfraujoch ?

Thanks – Peter

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 February 2018 at 21:29:29 #876656

Hi Peter,

It’s Switzerland – no one can predict what the weather will be like next week let alone on 21 June. Historical average daytime max temp is 19 at end of June in Wengen.

Best to check forecasts on 19 June and reserve a seat then. Reservation is CHF5 for a specific round trip. If you don’t reserve then ticket is good for any train on a given day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2018 at 13:32:27 #876657

Thanks for all the information, I hope you can help me with two more questions.

1) I have noticed when buying tickets online we need to provide: first name, last name and exact date birth. I am little concern with some much information. Does the date birth has to match passport ? Could I provide exact month, year and skip day ? Is the ticket ever checked against passport ?

2) On Jun 21 I have planned to take train from Lucerne to Interllaken. After that from Interlaken to Jungfraujoch. Late in the evening from Interlaken to Montreaux. Now in case the weather is bad in Jungfraujoch what would you recommend to do instead ?

Thanks again – Peter

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2018 at 15:00:30 #876658

Hi Peter,

1. To avoid any discussions with the inspector, I would provide the information as you have it in your passport. Two weeks ago I took the train to visit some friends and I was actually asked to show my identity card. I had purchased the ticket via the SBB app. That was by the way not the first time, so yes, they check from time to time. Also, my name is different from what’s in my passport (that’s a Dutch thing). If I put ‘Chantal’ and I have an inspector who woke up on the wrong side of the bed, I sometimes have a hard time explaining why my name is different in my passport. So from now on, I stick to what’s in my passport.
    2. There are some ideas in this thread: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/rainy-forecast-what-to-do. Or have a look at this page: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion. You could also consider a day trip to Bern; the six kilometres of arcades will keep you dry if needed.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2018 at 23:42:26 #876659

Thanks again for all the suggestions and life experience.

Last question. I will need to deposit luggage. It looks like it is possible at Interlaken Ost but could not find: what sizes are possible and what is average cost.

Thanks – Peter

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 March 2018 at 9:45:55 #876660

Hi Peter,

You can find stations and services on SBB here: https://www.sbb.ch/en/ station-services.html

and for Interlaken Ost here: https://www.sbb.ch/en/ station-services/railway-stations/further-stations/station.7492. interlaken-ost.html

Interlaken Ost has lockers but the website doesn’t specify sizes (oddly) but it mentions a baggage office so you can use that for sure (07:00 – 18:30).

• The thread ‘Jungfraujoch day trip: train & attractions tickets’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.