Jungfraujoch + Grindelwald-First in 1 day

• Anagan
    Participant
    96 posts
    3 June 2022 at 14:54:56 #827399

Hello, I am starting to work on my day by day itinerary and that is a reason i am starting new thread. Other old threads are closed. I will use this thread for rest of itinerary also. All passes and train tickets are purchased. I got swiss family half fare and RBOP (8 days). This is Day 1. Of course I will change day order according to weather but need to have good idea of day to day trips. Base is Interlaken.

GRINDEWALD DAY:1) Interlaken to grindelwald , then first. We will start day with hike from first to Bachalpsee lake to bachlager to first back. About 2.5 hours hike. 2) CLIFF WALK 3) back to first and do 2 activities(glider and flyer). Where I can keep my bookbag while doing activites.

4)Eat at first.

5)explore Grindelwald town.

I don’t want to hike but want to visit schynige platte from grindelwald. Please suggest how to and after that I want to reach interlaken back.

Should i change any order at all or above looks ok. Any must place to eat? I am vegetarian.

Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anagan
    Participant
    96 posts
    3 June 2022 at 15:55:55 #942833

DAY -2 JUNGFRAUJOCH DAY

Interlaken to Grindewald Terminal. Grindewald to Eigergletscher. Eigerlecscher to Jungfraujoch funicular(99 chf RT per person). Visit Top of Europe.

Confusion starts from here: I want to visit wengen town and do hike DOWN from mannlichen to kleine scheidegg. Please suggest order from grindelwald station on forward. I want to visit via open air mannlichen cable car to mannlichen and then hike down to kleine scheidegg.

Help pls. Thanks in advance. I did my math and all transportation is covered with my passes, except last part of the “top of europe”.

luvmystang
    Participant
    106 posts
    3 June 2022 at 17:38:17 #942834

Hello,

From Jungfraujoch you would need to take the trains down to Wengen. However when you do this, you pass right thru the Kleine Scheidegg train station. The hike from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg or from Kleine Scheidegg to Mannlichen is a fairly level/flat hike (you really are not hiking down to Kleine Scheidegg from Mannlichen). So you may want to do the hike from Kleine Scheidegg to Mannlichen, take the cable car down to Wengen and explore the town.

Then from Wengen you can take the trains back to Interlaken, if that is how you plan to end your day.

Hope that helps.

Anna
    6355 posts
    3 June 2022 at 18:52:57 #942835

Hi Anagan,

I think your Day 1 itinerary in Grindelwald First is doable but you might have to skip Schynige Platte and do that on a different day. I reckon the hike and adventure activities on First will take up quite a bit of time. While doing the adventure activities you can leave your bag with the staff.

On Day 2, after the trip to Jungfraujoch, take the cogwheel train that goes down to Wengen. Make a stop in Kleine Scheidegg and hike the Panoramaweg to Männlichen. From Männlichen you either take a cable car down to Grindelwald Terminal or Wengen.

Regards,

Anna

Anagan
    Participant
    96 posts
    6 June 2022 at 22:40:14 #942836

Hello group, working on day 3: Lauterbrunnen day

i don’t want to hike a lot on this day since my daughter is 13 and don’t want her to do overdo and get tired. We don’t mind 1 hr or so of hike.

Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen. Walk through town and watch Staubbach Falls from behind. I am not into Trummelbach falls! Is it ok to skip? If it is worth watching can I take bus from Staubbach Falls to this fall?

mid I can’t take bus, then from Staubbach Falls to Mürren. I heard Grutschalp to Murren hike is beautiful and can be manageable within 1 hour. At the end want to explore Murren town. I am not sure about Schilthorn yet.

Please help setting this day for me. Again I have Swiss Half Face Card and Regional Pass Bernese Oberland pass.

Anything else I am missing while I am planning for Lauterbrunnen day! Thanks in advance for helping.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2022 at 15:41:32 #942837

Hi Anagan,

I think Trummelbach falls is worth watching but it is up to you, if you want you can skip it. Between the 2 falls you can take the bus 141.

Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg walk is easy: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/lauterbrunnen-stechelberg. Also the panoramic walk from Grütschalp to Mürren (http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/gruetschalp-muerren).

Schilthorn is also great 🙂 I know, it is so difficult to choose, as there are so many wonderful things to see in the Jungfrau region.

Make sure to have a Swiss Family Card for your daughter: http://www.myswissalps.com/swissfamilycard.

Ildiko

More about Lauterbrunnen: http://www.myswissalps.com/lauterbrunnen

Anagan
    Participant
    96 posts
    8 June 2022 at 0:35:50 #942838

Thanks for your input.

I will skip trummelback falls for now.this is what I have so far for lauterbrunnen day.

interlaken to lauterbrunnen. Walk to town and walk down to staubbach fall from behind. Confusion starts here. Should I Go back to lauterbrunnen station and catch train/cable ride to grutschalp or there is other easy and faster bus mentioned above. I am not sure what is more frequent, bus or train or cable car? i definitely not want to hike. I want to hike from grutschalp to murren. Explore murren town.

please help with above question and how to reach back from murren to interlaken.

1) if I decide to visit schiltthorn, I can always add murren to schiltthorn ride. As of right now I am not sure.

2) can I still do brig walk? Is it cover under Rbop pass?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2022 at 18:48:44 #942839

Hi Anagan,

from Staubbach falls you have to walk back to Lauterbrunnen. If you want you can travel by bus (nr 141) but only 1 bus stop (From Lauterbrunnen Dorf to Lauterbrunnen), but you still need to walk a bit. From Lauterbrunnen you travel by cable car to Grütschalp. From there you can walk if you want to Mürren or you can take the narrow gauge train.

OR

You can visit the Staubbach Falls, from there you walk to the bus stop (Lauterbrunnen Dorf) and from there you take the bus (nr 141.) in the other direction, to Stechelberg (bus stop is called Stechelberg, Schilthornbahn). From there you walk 2 mins and you take the cableway up to Mürren, with a change in Gimmelwald. (But then you cannot walk from Grütschalp to Mürren).

Learn more at http://www.myswissalps.com/murren/travel.

Yes, you can visit Schilthorn from Mürren. You’ll board the cable car and switch to another one in Birg. Then you reach the summit of the Schilthorn. (Learn more at http://www.myswissalps.com/schilthorn/gettingthere).

With the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland:

• Cable car from Mürren to Schilthorn: 50% off
    • Cable car from Stechelberg to Mürren: free
    • Cable car and train from Lauterbrunnen to Mürren: free
    • Bus from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg: free
    • Train to Lauterbrunnen: free
    • Learn more: http://www.myswissalps.com/schilthorn/tickets

The Thrill walk at Birg is for free, you just need to get there. (50% discount on the ticket from Mürren to Birg with the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland.)

Take care,

Ildiko

Anagan
    Participant
    96 posts
    12 June 2022 at 20:34:54 #942840

Mount Titlis day:(longest day) We will leave by 8:00 am from interlaken ost to Luzern and Luzern to engelberg. With my regional pass i will buy 2 adults RT. From Engelberg to Titlis is 48 chf with my pass per PP. Enjoy engelberg town before our way to lucerne. I understand it is long day but this is only way to do it.

question:

1)last gondola from MT.Titlis to engelberg is at 4:00 pm. I will need at least 4 hours on Titlis so need to be at titlis by 12 pm. Leaving 8 am from interlaken is good?

2)When should i buy Lucerne to engelberg RT? How much PP?

3) if i make stop at trubsee on the way down to do snow tubing, do i need to repay again to continue down to engelberg?

Thanks in advance.

Anna
    6355 posts
    13 June 2022 at 2:57:39 #942841

Hi Anagan,

With the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland, you can travel for free up to Lucerne. From Lucerne to Engelberg and Engelberg to Mt Titlis, the ticket is half-price. You can purchase the return ticket Lucerne to Engelberg (CHF18.40) from any train station or through the SBB website. Options to purchase the ticket to Mt Titlis online are available here: http://www.myswissalps.com/titlis/tickets. Be sure to check out the weather forecast before your mountain excursion.

If you take the 8.04 am train from Interlaken you should be able to reach Mt Titlis valley station just before 11am. I think this should give you reasonable time to plan a few activities on Mt Titlis before taking the last cable car down. With a return ticket to Titlis summit station, you are free to stop at any station enroute including Trubsee.

You can find more information about Mt Titlis here: http://www.myswissalps.com/titlis

Hope this answers all your questions.

Regards,

Anna

Anagan
    Participant
    96 posts
    13 June 2022 at 10:31:06 #942842

Thanks. Working on last 2 days itineraries now.

Anagan
    Participant
    96 posts
    13 June 2022 at 20:14:16 #942843

here are last 2 days of itineraries. After this post, i will combine whole 7 days of itineraries in one so someone can guide me where to add schynige platte. My rainy day option will to go to BERN. I am traveling to lucerne more than couple of times, but i do have enough days that i am not missing anything major out. Day 5 is lazy day, no hiking for sure. Should I mix Day 5 and Day 7? I cant leave my luggage at train station because it is 5 chf per bag and i have lots of luggage. Am I still right about RBOP pass?

Day 5: Half day/Full day lucerne and half day interlaken

Interlaken ost to Lucerne. From station via Neustadt to the chapel bridge and from their old town. Museum of transportation is 80 chf for 3 of us. Is there any website which has cheaper tickets? I am not sure about day pass to museum, just regular tickets. Am i making mistake here? I have half fare swiss card but it does not give any discount.

If i don’t do museum, i will head back to interlaken and enjoy lake or half day just walking around interlaken.

Day 7: Leave interlaken. half day in zurich.

Leave Interlaken and reach zurich airport hotel via lucerne by 2 pm. Drop Luggage and head back to zurich. I have day pass for whole day.

Please help with below so i can put in order. I will have 3-4 hours in zurich and want to just walk around. I have day pass so can i take bus within zurich?

Lakeside promenade, Old town walk, Bahnhofstrasse street, city walk. Back to train station to airport hotel.

Thanks in advance.

Anna
    6355 posts
    14 June 2022 at 7:21:57 #942844

Hi Anagan,

Day 5 – The Swiss Transport Museum is actually a perfect activity to do on a rainy day. It’s a huge museum with lots of things to do. Getting the day pass is worth it if you plan to spend more than a few hours at the museum. But you can also just get tickets for the museum and exhibition (CHF16), the Planetarium (CHF16) or the Swiss Chocolate Adventure (CHF16). Note: A day pass will give you access to everything. If you have time, you might want to take the boat instead of the bus back to the train station after your museum visit. I think boats leave hourly from the Verkehrshaus-Lido terminal (walking distance from the museum) to Luzern Bahnhofquai and the journey takes about 30 mins. You might even have time for a quick walking tour of Lucerne.

Day 7 – Half day in Zurich. If you have a day pass, you can use the public transport for free. My personal suggestion if you have a few hours in Zurich is to take a boat trip on the Limmat river from the Landesmuseum through the old town and out into the lake. It’s a 50-min round trip that will take you as far as Zurichhorn. I recommend getting down at Burkliplatz or Störchen on the way back so you can explore the city on foot. The Landesmuseum boat dock is located just outside Zurich HB main station. Boats leave every half hour.

By the way, there are luggage lockers at major train stations and they come in various sizes. The biggest locker XXL measures 52 x 94 x 85 cm and cost CHF12 for storage up to 6 hours.

Hope this gives you additional options for your itinerary.

Regards,

Anna

Anagan
    Participant
    96 posts
    14 June 2022 at 15:52:16 #942845

thanks again. question about swiss transportation museum: you said it is 16 chf per person if i only want to see ” museum and exhibition “? I dont see that option on their website? I do see Swiss Chocolate Adventure and planetarium each is 16 chf. Please let me know what i am missing here.

I will add lake zurich boat ride to day 7 for sure. i FORGOT it is included in saver day pass.

Day 5 you talked about “boat ride” in lucerne. I will still have my RBOP pass valid that day. As long as i know boat trip is not included with my pass. i will have swiss half fare card. are buses in lucerne included in RBOP pass?

do you think, based on my plan, 8 days of RBOP AND SWISS FAMILY HALF FARE IS STILL BEST CHOICE?

Anna
    6355 posts
    14 June 2022 at 17:45:52 #942846

Hi Anagan,

Sorry, my mistake, the museum and exhibition only is CHF32.

For the boat trip from Lucerne Verkehrshaus to Lucerne Banhofquai, you can use your Swiss Half Fare card to get discounted tickets. It’s CHF3.20 for a single journey.

Based on your plans, in my opinion the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland used in combination with the Swiss Half Fare Card is the best choice.

Regards,

Anna

Anagan
    Participant
    96 posts
    20 June 2022 at 17:46:48 #942847

Hello,

looking at above itinerary, 1) where i can fit Schynige Platte visit? which day and which order, pls?

2) I already have my RPBO and SHC. Once I reach Lucerne from zurich airport, I will change train from Lucerne to Interlaken. Do i scan my cards somewhere or do nothing. How does my both cards get activated?

3) From Zurich airport to lucerne, I have saver day pass tickets printed. Where do i scan tickets to enter train? Also what signs from airport, I follow to go to Lucerne train station?

Anagan
    Participant
    96 posts
    20 June 2022 at 18:20:11 #942848

Here is whole itinerary. Thanks in advance for helping. I still have one empty day. Also Where can I put Harden Klum visit ?

Grindelwald day:

Interlaken to Grindelwald, then first. we will start day with hike from first to bachalpsee lake to Bach lager to first back. about 2.5 hours hike. 2) cliff walk 3) back to first and do 2 activities (glider and flyer). where I can keep my bookbag while doing activities. 4)eat at first. 5)explore Grindelwald town.

Jungfrau day

Interlaken to Grindelwald terminal. Grindelwald to Eigergletscher. Eigergletcscher to Jungfrau funicular (99 CHF rt per person). visit top of Europe. after the trip to Jungfrau, take the cogwheel train that goes down to Wengen. make a stop in kleine scheidegg and hike the panoramaweg to männlichen. from männlichen ,take a cable car down wengen. explore wengen.

Lauterbrunnen day

from Staubbach falls you must walk back to Lauterbrunnen. If you want you can travel by bus (nr 141) but only 1 bus stop (From Lauterbrunnen Dorf to Lauterbrunnen), but you still need to walk a bit. From Lauterbrunnen you travel by cable car to Grütschalp. From there you can walk if you want to Mürren or you can take the narrow gauge train.

OR

You can visit the Staubbach Falls, from there you walk to the bus stop (Lauterbrunnen Dorf) and from there you take the bus (nr 141.) in the other direction, to Stechelberg (bus stop is called Stechelberg, Schilthornbahn). From there you walk 2 mins and you take the cableway up to Mürren, with a change in Gimmelwald. (But then you cannot walk from Grütschalp to Mürren).

Yes, you can visit Schilthorn from Mürren. You’ll board the cable car and switch to another one in Birg. Then you reach the summit of the Schilthorn.

Mount Titlis day:(longest day)

We will leave by 8:00 am from Interlaken ost to Luzern and Luzern to engelberg. With my regional pass i will buy 2 adults RT(CHF18.40). From Engelberg to Titlis is 48 chf with my pass per PP. Last gondola ride is at 4:00 pm from Mt. Titlis, but we can still do Trubsee. Enjoy engelberg town before our way to lucerne.

Half day/Full day lucerne and half day interlaken

Interlaken ost to Lucerne. From station via Neustadt to the chapel bridge and from their old town. Museum of transportation is 80 chf for 3 of us. For the boat trip from Lucerne Verkehrshaus to Lucerne Banhofquai, you can use your Swiss Half Fare card to get discounted tickets. It’s CHF3.20 for a single journey.

Day 6: EMPTY DAY

Day 7:

Half day Zurich: Leave Interlaken. half day in zurich.

Leave Interlaken and reach zurich airport hotel via lucerne by 2 pm. Drop Luggage and head back to zurich. I have day pass for whole day.

In Zurich take a boat trip on the Limmat river from the Landesmuseum through the old town and out into the lake. It’s a 50-min round trip that will take you as far as Zurichhorn. I recommend getting down at Burkliplatz or Störchen on the way back so you can explore the city on foot. The Landesmuseum boat dock is located just outside Zurich HB main station. Boats leave every half hour. Other interesting points are Lakeside promenade, Old town walk, Bahnhofstrasse street, city walk. Back to train station to airport hotel.

Anna
    6355 posts
    20 June 2022 at 18:59:38 #942849

Hi Anagan,

Maybe you can do a half day trip to Schynige Platte on Day 6. You don’t have to do any hiking. Just take the train up and down and enjoy the ride and views at the top. Then you can have the rest of the day free to do anything you want. How does this sound?

To answer the rest of your questions:

The Swiss Half Fare Card is ready for use as soon as you receive it. There is no need for activation or prior validation. Once you have purchased your discounted tickets, you can just board any train and show the pass with the QR code when requested by a ticket inspector (checks are done randomly on board). You can find more details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard/howtouse.

It’s the same with the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland (http://www.myswissalps.com/regionalpassberneseoberland/howtouse) and also the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass/howtouse).

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Jungfraujoch + Grindelwald-First in 1 day’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.