Jungfraujoch: Grindelwald or Grindelwald Terminal?

• Kikig
    Participant
    3 posts
    24 May 2023 at 17:26:08 #829916

Hello! This seems like a silly question but we are staying in Grindelwald with plans to go to Jungfraujoch. When you look at booking tickets it says you can book from Grindelwald or Grindelwald Terminal. Since staying in Grindelwald, would it make sense to book from “Grindelwald” since “Grindelwald Terminal” is a little ways away? Thank you for the help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Yolanda
    2361 posts
    24 May 2023 at 20:25:25 #954702

Hello Kikig,

There are several routes to reach Jungfraujoch. You will find an overview of the routes in the below link:

Essentially, if you are planning on taking the Eiger Express to Jungfraujoch, this would be from Grindelwald Terminal. Grindelwald Terminal is a 3 minute train ride from Grindelwald. If reaching Jungfraujoch using the cogwheel train, you would need Grindelwald.

You can also research all routes via the SBB timetable here: https://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

Kind regards,

Yolanda

pvonk
    Participant
    383 posts
    25 May 2023 at 13:09:36 #954703

I assume when you say Grindelwald, this is Grindelwald Grund.

Yolanda
    2361 posts
    25 May 2023 at 15:41:24 #954704

Hello pvonk,

Thank you for pointing that out. I guess yes and no in regard to Grindelwald and Grindelwald Grund. Both apply. Herewith a summary.

Grindelwald has 3 train stations. You can find each in the timetable.

1. “Grindelwald”. This is the main station in the village, where shops, hotels, and holiday homes can be found. Trains from Interlaken arrive here. From the station, you can reach the valley stations of First and Pfingstegg on foot or by bus. Buses to Bussalp, Grosse Scheidegg, the Rosenlaui Valley and Meiringen depart here too.
    2. “Grindelwald Terminal”. This is west of the town center. The gondolas to Männlichen and the Eiger Express to Eigergletscher/Jungfraujoch depart here.
    3. “Grindelwald Grund”. This station is situated lower than Grindelwald and it’s not in the town center. It’s one of the stops on the cogwheel train route from Grindelwald to Kleine Scheidegg/Jungfraujoch.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Kikig
    Participant
    3 posts
    25 May 2023 at 16:06:17 #954705

Thank you very much! This is very helpful and answered my question!

pvonk
    Participant
    383 posts
    25 May 2023 at 16:25:46 #954706

Thanks, Yolanda –

Many years ago, when my son and I were coming down from KS, I was aiming to get off at Grindelwald but didn’t realize there were two stations (and to make matters worse, there are really 3 stations as you point out). Our first arrival was Grindelwald Grund, and we were ready to get off to change trains (we were going to Interlaken). But that “Grund” following “Grindelwald” confused me. At the last second we decided to remain on the train. Good thing, as the “Grindelwald” station was next and that was what we needed.

Ever since then, I get confused with the “Grund” and my mind can’t seem to get that straight. Since we’ll be there again in July, I am hoping that this “issue” will have been straightened out in my mind!

Yolanda
    2361 posts
    25 May 2023 at 20:42:03 #954707

Yes, all a little overwhelming right? That’s good you went with your ‘gut’ instinct and arrived at Grindelwald.

Going forward, I am sure when you are here in July, you will be totally Grindelwald ‘savvy’ 🙂

• The thread ‘Jungfraujoch: Grindelwald or Grindelwald Terminal?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.