Jungfrau Travel Pass with Swiss Travel Pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 February 2018 at 2:14:01 #814220

Good Day Sir,

I’m too planning for a trip to Switzerland in June for my family, ETA Lauterbrunnen/Wengen mid June 2018. We are 2 adults & 3 kids age 12, 9 & 4.

We’re planning to get the 8 days Swiss Travel Pass, but I am not sure what kind of Travel Pass for the kids?

As I read from http://www.jungfrau.ch website, we need additional ticket to Jungfraujoch.

As I read in this forum, the plan is normally to ascend Jungfraujoch from Lauterbrunned/Wengen, and descend to Grindelwald Grund. After that, take cable car from Grindelwald Grund to Mannlichen, trail walk to KS, then back with train to Wengen/Lauterbrunnen. All these should take whole day from 0700-1700 roughly, no?

Please advise if my understanding of the Jungfraujoch ticket is correct:

With the Swiss Travel Pass, for the adults, buy Jungfrau Travel Pass (3days CHF180 x 2 adults) + (3days CHF30 x 2kids) + free travel for 4yrs old, yes?

Reserving seats from KS to Jungfraujoch will cost me CHF10 x 5 travelers, yes?

Does the cable car from Grindelwwald Grund to Mannlichen needs any other ticket?

What about all the cable cars to Schiltorn, free ride with Jungfrau Travel pass? (Murren – Schiltorn – Gimmelwald – Stetchelberg)

Any other cost that I am missing?

Is there a separate timetable for the cable cars which can be obtainable online?

Your advise is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Regards,

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 February 2018 at 3:12:00 #875501

Hello kabsMY,

You don’t say how long you are visiting for or where else in Switzerland you are going apart from the Jungfrau region so I am assuming the 8-day Swiss Travel Pass covers your entire trip.

If you buy Swiss Travel Passes you need a Swiss Family Card (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw issfamilycard) which you can order at the same time for free. This will provide free travel for your two older children. The 4-year old will travel free wherever you go without any additional pass.

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass you don’t need a Jungfrau Travel Pass as well.

You can see what is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass refer to the map you can download here http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity. Be sure to read the legend on the map carefully to work out what is free, or 50% discount or 25% discount (i.e Jungfraujoch from Wengen or Grindelwald).

For example a very nice circuit which you can do for free is from Lauterbrunnen to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (cogwheel train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). You can do this circuit clockwise or anti-clockwise. From Mürren you can easily visit Schilthorn (for free). In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls. Well worth a look. All these places are searcheable on the MySwissAlps website.

Use the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your travel including cable car trips. If you haven’t used it before it will pay to read the instructions on that page before delving into the timetable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 February 2018 at 5:55:36 #875502

>> As I read in this forum, the plan is normally to ascend Jungfraujoch from Lauterbrunned/Wengen, and descend to Grindelwald Grund. After that, take cable car from Grindelwald Grund to Mannlichen, trail walk to KS, then back with train to Wengen/Lauterbrunnen. All these should take whole day from 0700-1700 roughly, no?

I wouldn’t say that’s the normal plan, but if you want to include the hike from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg as part of your day, then that is a good way of doing it. However, the trail might not be open in mid-June. You would need to check with the local tourist office before attempting it.

If the trail is closed, you can simply take a cable car down the other side of Männlichen to Wengen.

>> Reserving seats from KS to Jungfraujoch will cost me CHF10 x 5 travelers, yes?

Yes. But reservations are optional.

>> Is there a separate timetable for the cable cars which can be obtainable online?

http://www.maennlichen.ch/en/ summer-timetable.html

schilthorn.ch/en/Infos /Timetable__and__Tarif f

Cable cars are also included in the standard Swiss Timetable, as rockoyster noted.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 February 2018 at 21:47:03 #875503

Hello Y’All,

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I’ve been reading for few days many threads in this Forum, and finally made a breakthrough for half of the itinerary for my mid June trip. Since we are buying the Swiss Pass, we want to optimize the the rails / boat rides.

Day 1 – Arrival Geneva am. Take train to Montreux. Take Panoramic Train, ETD 1544 to Interlaken. Then change train from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen. Night at Lauterbrunnen

Day 2 – Lauterbrunnen – Jungraujoch – Grindelwald trip. Then cable car to Mannlichen. Hike to KS. Back to Lauterbrunnen. Night in Lauterbrunnen.

Day 3 – Sightseeing / hiking trip. Lauterbrunnen – Grutschalp – WInteregg – Murren – Schiltorn. Back to Murren – Gimmelwald – Stetchelberg – Trummelbachfalle – Lauterbrunnen. IF time permits, visit Ballenberg Museum in afternoon. Night in Lauterbrunnen.

Day 4 – Sightseeing trip. Lauterbrunnen – Interlaken OST – Brienz (see) – Brienz – Interlaken WEST – Spiez Schiffstation – Thun – Bern. IF time permits Bern – Zurich in afternoon. Back to Lauterbrunnen. Night in Lauterbrunnen.

From day 5 onwards, still rough sketch. Need your assistance & guidance please.

————————————————————————————————————————

Day 5 – Trip to Zermatt. Either via Interlaken OST – Spiez – Goppenstein – Brig – Visp – Zermatt OR via Interlaken OST – Zweisimmen – Montreux – Visp – Zermatt. Night in Zermatt?? OR Night in Andermatt??

Day 6 – Glacier Express to Chur either from Zermatt or from Andermatt. Then Chur to Vitznau either via boat from Fluelen if possible OR rent a car from Chur, drive (to stop & tak picture) following Oberalp Pass – Grimsel Pass – Lungern – Fluelen – Vitznau. Night in Vitznau.

Day 7 – From Vitznau (boat? or car) – Luzern – Mt Titlis OR Mt Pilatus??. Night in Vitznau.

Day 8 – From Vitznau – Mt Rigi OR Mt Pilatus – Boat to Luzern – Geneva. Night in Geneva.

Day 9 – ETD Geneva am.

Thanks in advance for your kind help.

Regards,

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 February 2018 at 22:04:54 #875504

Before considering car rental, read this http://www.myswissalps.com/ca rversustrain.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2018 at 19:59:42 #875505

Hello Sirs,

Need your advice & guidance please. Instead of going to Zermatt on Day 5, we are thinking of Aletsch Glacier. Traveling to Fiesch from Lauterbrunnen in the morning, we will spend the night in Fiesch after the hike. Day 5 would be sometimes in mid June.

Is the following trail doable / not too difficult? We are 2 adults & 3 kids age 12, 9 & 4.

From Fiesch FE cable car station, take the ride up to Luftseilbahnen Fiesch-Eggishorn AG. Then hike follow the trail to Tälligrattunnel. Then go through the tunnel to Gletscherstube Märjelen. Then Märjelensee and Aletsch Glacier.

After that, take the reverse route back to Luftseilbahnen Fiesch-Eggishorn AG –> Fiesch FE.

Thanks in advance.

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 February 2018 at 20:54:18 #875506

Hi kabsMY,

There is no need to walk the same route back. Here’s a nice circular route: http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/bettmerhorn-marjelensee-fiescheralp

Whether the trail is accessible in mid June can best be checked closer to the date. The Gletscherstube won’t be open before July, but that does not stop you from hiking.

• The thread ‘Jungfrau Travel Pass with Swiss Travel Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.