Jungfraujoch, Lucerne & boat trip from Interlaken

• dmsm
    Participant
    2 posts
    4 June 2022 at 19:46:31 #827410

I will be flying into Zurich in three weeks and spending three nights in Interlaken before heading to a wedding in Geneva. Here is the itinerary I have so far:

• Day 1: Arrive early morning, do Zurich city walk. take train to Interlaken. Possibly Harder Kulm upon arrival.
    • Day 2: Jungfraujoch. Go through Grindelwald on the way there, and on the way back stop in Lauterbrunner (walk to Trümmelbach) and Wengen.
    • Day 3: Day trip to Lucerne. Start with Golden round trip then walk around the city.
    • Day 4: Boat trip to Thun. Spend time walking around Thun and then return to Interlaken by train. Leave for Geneva by evening.

Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated! One question I have is if/where it is possible to fit in some small hikes. I’m not looking for anything too intense, but, e.g., would love to fit in First to Bachsee. Would it be crazy to do this on Day 2? Also, would it make sense to stop in Lausanne on the way to Geneva (leave Interlaken in early afternoon and do late afternoon and dinner in Lausanne)?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    4 June 2022 at 20:05:47 #942892

Hi dmsm,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

You current itinerary is reasonably doable. I would do a short hike in Harder Kulm if there’s extra time. On Day 2, after the trip to Jungfraujoch in the morning, I think it’s possible to do an excursion to Grindelwald First and hike to Bachalpsee in the afternoon. However, depending on your hike and how much time you spend on First, you might have to skip the later plans in Lauterbrunnen. So I’d keep my options open and flexible. And yes, you can definitely make a quick stop in Lausanne if you wish, enroute to Geneva.

Regards,

Anna

dmsm
    Participant
    2 posts
    4 June 2022 at 20:22:02 #942893

Thank you very much! One more question: I see that it is recommended to check the weather the day before going to Jungfraujoch to book tickets. Is there any risk of tickets selling out in late June? Also, what would you recommend as an alternative for Day 2 in case weather is bad? More time in First, Lauterbrunnen, and Wengen, or something in addition?

Arno
    15484 posts
    5 June 2022 at 12:24:21 #942894

Hi dmsm,

I wouldn’t expect Jungfraujoch tickets to sell out in late June (no guarantees though ;-)). If you arrange for them the day before traveling, I think you should be fine: https://www.myswissalps.com/jungfraujoch/tickets. Even the same morning should work, especially if you catch the earliest train.

Consider the Trümmelbach falls, the Grindelwald glacier gorge or one of the options mentioned under “Bad weather activities” at http://www.myswissalps.com/interlaken if isn’t favorable on day 2.

• The thread ‘Jungfraujoch, Lucerne & boat trip from Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.