Jungfraujoch – Morning or afternoon?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2018 at 10:38:12 #816717

Hi

We are going to be based in Wengen so we are planning to hike from Manlichen to Kleine Scheidegg on a Friday or Saturday morning with the aim to arrive in KS around 12pm. Our idea was to then get train up to Jungfraujoch and spend a few hours there in afternoon before returning to Wengen.

is this the better option or should we aim to do Jungfraujoch much earlier and beat the crowds? This would mean forfeiting our hike as we only have 2 days in Wengen.

Any advice much appreciated.

thanks

Rob

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2018 at 16:37:11 #888650

For me, it really comes down to the weather.

If it looks sunny and clear skies first thing in the morning go right away. Otherwise I’d wait and see if it looks better in the afternoon. If you are going to go to Jungfraujoch regardless then stick to your early morning plan I think.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2018 at 11:06:23 #888651

thanks Lucas

Which is the most accurate source of weather information?

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 June 2018 at 12:40:29 #888652

Hi Rob,

Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather/forecast.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2018 at 4:22:01 #888653

Sharing this link:

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/live/weather/

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2018 at 5:20:48 #888654

I would go first thing in the morning as soon as the weather was clear. But if you think u can beat the crowds you are wrong . I took a 8am train from kleine scheidegg there were ppl who did not get seats (me included ) then they made us sit in the vacant seats in the reserved compartment. And many had to wait for the 8 30 train.

But by going first thing in the morning you can save money I bought a good morning ticket for 85 chf with half fare card from lauterbrunnen to jungfrajoch to grindewald .

If you really want to do the hike go to jungfraujoch in the morning and then do the hike on your way back. Sure the views are behind you but it’s better than not doing it at all.

Cheers

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2018 at 10:28:57 #888655

thanks

i think if you cant beat the crowds anyway then we might stick to the original plan and attempt to go from KS at around lunchtime.

• The thread ‘Jungfraujoch – Morning or afternoon?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.