Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Jungfraujoch from Grindelwald return or via Wengen

Jungfraujoch from Grindelwald return or via Wengen

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Marggy
Marggy
13 posts
Jan 14, 2020 - 6:09 AM

My husband and I will be travelling to Switzerland in late May/early June (thank you to everyone who has helped me with our itinerary). We are planning to do a trip to Jungfraujoch and I would appreciate it if someone can clarify a few things for me.

1. We will be staying in Grindelwald. I note your website suggests going up one route and back another. Do we miss much if we just go Grindelwald return or should we try and come back on the other route and then make our way back to Grindelwald?

2. I note that it is not worth going if the weather is cloudy. Should we still be able to get tickets on the day or should we order in advance and risk the weather?

3. Is it necessary to book seat reservations as well as purchasing the tickets?

Thanks for your help.

rockoyster
rockoyster
8392 posts
expert
Jan 14, 2020 - 6:25 AM in reply to Marggy

Hello Marggy,

1. You can go up and return to Grindelwald but the views of the Lauterbrunnen Valley on the way down via Wengen are spectacular. Go that way if you have no other plans to visit Wengen and Lauterbrunnen.

2. You can and should buy tickets on the day. Keep an eye on the weather here. Cloudy with some sun is OK but socked in with cloud and or rain is not good.
www.myswissalps.com/weather

3. Not at that time of year.

Marggy
Marggy
13 posts
Jan 14, 2020 - 6:31 AM

Thanks so much rockoyster. As usual your comments are really helpful. If we were to come back via Wengen is it easy to then make our way back to Grindelwald. Thanks

rockoyster
rockoyster
8392 posts
expert
Jan 14, 2020 - 6:37 AM in reply to Marggy

Yes. From Wengen you can take a cable car up to Männlichen and another down to Grindelwald Grund OR go down to Lauterbrunnen, train to Zweilütschinen (on the way to Interlaken Ost) and train to Grindelwald. The latter will be cheaper than the cable cars if you have a Swiss Travel Pass (ie free versus 50% discount).

Check the SBB timetable (preferably using the SBB Mobile app).

Marggy
Marggy
13 posts
Jan 14, 2020 - 6:42 AM

Thanks. I will look into both options. I am still working on the calculations (the spreadsheet is great) to see whether we should get the Swiss Travel Card or the half fare card.

rockoyster
rockoyster
8392 posts
expert
Jan 14, 2020 - 6:50 AM in reply to Marggy

This map gives you a good idea of the routes. A different style to the validity maps you will be poring over. 🤓

Last modified on Jan 14, 2020 - 6:52 AM by rockoyster
Marggy
Marggy
13 posts
Jan 14, 2020 - 7:19 AM in reply to rockoyster

Thanks. It’s a great map and you’re right, it’s very different to what I’ve been looking at.

Neubigl
Neubigl
9 posts
Jan 14, 2020 - 11:35 AM in reply to rockoyster

Here I am looking in on your posts to other travelers....THIS IS A TERRIFIC MAP!....Really makes the whole area make lots of sense. rock oyster ROCKS!

rockoyster
rockoyster
8392 posts
expert
Jan 14, 2020 - 9:46 PM in reply to Marggy

Hi Marggy,

In case you opt for the cable car route from Wengen to Grindelwald (even if you don’t it is well worth going up to Männlichen for the views if the weather is fine) here’s the timetable - www.maennlichen.ch/en/summer/information/timetable.html.

Last modified on Jan 14, 2020 - 9:52 PM by rockoyster
Marggy
Marggy
13 posts
Jan 14, 2020 - 10:34 PM

Thanks rockoyster. I’m still not sure which route we will take but am leaning towards the cable car so this link is really useful.

1960man
1960man
2464 posts
top member
Jan 15, 2020 - 12:37 AM in reply to Marggy

Don't forget that Switzerland is a small country, and the Jungfrau region is tiny in global terms (about the same size as the City of Canberra) , so nowhere is far from anywhere else, you could do about 6 or 7 trips round the Interlaken - Grindelwald - Wengen - Lauterbrunnen circuit in one day if one really wanted to!

1960man
1960man
2464 posts
top member
Jan 15, 2020 - 12:44 AM in reply to Neubigl

There are numerous versions of the Jungfrau area panoramic map

Put the search phrase 'jungfrau region panoramakarte' in an internet search and you will see what I mean.

There is also this:

www.walkingswitzerland.com/jungfrau-transport-map

pkerr
pkerr
156 posts
Jan 15, 2020 - 4:22 AM

And if you are heading down to Wengen, sit on the left side of the train for best views. 😄

rockoyster
rockoyster
8392 posts
expert
Jan 15, 2020 - 4:49 AM in reply to Marggy

If you are worried about seat reservations on the Jungfraujoch train perhaps have a look at this thread.

Neil
Neil
11 posts
Jan 15, 2020 - 1:16 PM in reply to Marggy

There is little difference between the two. The journey from Grindelwald to Kleine Scheidegg and from Wengen is about the same. Once you get to Kleine Sheidegg the route is the same. We were staying in Wengen, so on the return journey we got off the train at Kleine Scheidegg. We ate lunch, then walked the remainder of the way to Wengen. There is a paved trail that starts at the train station in Kleine Scheidegg and ends in Wengen. It took us about 2 hours with several photo stops along the way. The scenery is beautiful….you pass small farms and hear the cowbells in the distance. The Alps are visible the entire way. It is a magical experience. It's an easy walk almost entirely downhill and if you so desire, you can catch the train again at the next station.

TUKAIKOL
TUKAIKOL
18 posts
Jan 16, 2020 - 1:35 PM in reply to Neil

Hello rockoyster and neil,

I will be travelling from June 10 to June 17 with my wife and two kids. I plan to cover Jungfrau, titlis and zermatt along with rhine falls. I plan to stay at wengen and lucerne. Can you please advise whether that is a good idea and I can cover Jungfrau, titlis, Schiltorn, matterhorn along with one chocolate factory in seven nights.

Ildiko
Ildiko
646 posts
top member &
Jan 16, 2020 - 3:56 PM in reply to TUKAIKOL

Hi Tukaikol,

I would like to ask you to start a new thread with your itinerary and question, as this one is Marggy's thread. Please see the forum rules at www.myswissalps.com/forum/rules. Thanks for your understanding.

In short your plan is doable, but I suggest to spend at least 1 night in Zermatt to, so you can experience it better. Wengen-Zermatt is more than 3 hours by train through the Lötschberg Tunnel. If you want a more scenic route, travel via Kandersteg and Brig, in this case the route will take longer though. I recommend not to miss Gornergrat (www.myswissalps.com/gornergrat/gettingthere) once you are in Zermatt.

You cannot actually visit Jungfrau, where you can go up is called Jungfraujoch: www.myswissalps.com/jungfraujoch/gettingthere. Other things to do in the Jungfrau region: www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion/activities

Learn more about Wengen at www.myswissalps.com/wengen and Lucerne at www.myswissalps.com/lucerne. (You'll find a list of recommended hotels under the labels called "Hotels" and "Rentals" on each page.

I hope this helps. If you need further information, please start a new thread. Thanks!

Ildiko

TUKAIKOL
TUKAIKOL
18 posts
Jan 16, 2020 - 5:03 PM

Thanks. Will do so.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020