How far in advance to make Jungfrau reservations?

• Jlobo94
    Participant
    7 posts
    12 June 2019 at 16:16:05 #822228

Hello! I would like to ask you how far in advance should I buy the tickets to go up to the Jungfraujoch. If I buy the Oberland Bernese Pass, how do I proceed to buy the ticket? and in many places I have read that you recommend to see how is the weather in order to climb with good weather, where can I verify it?

Thank you in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 June 2019 at 21:38:32 #914962

The advice to see if the weather is favourable before buying a ticket is sound. You can check the weather at bit.ly/2GmILXS. There is a link top left for webcams.

Buy your ticket at a station. For seat reservations read bit.ly/2GmILXS.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/tickets

Jlobo94
    Participant
    7 posts
    21 June 2019 at 17:52:07 #914963

Rockoyster, thank you very much for your response.

I have a couple of additional questions to see if you can help me.

1. I will stay very close to Interlaken West, I plan to take a train around 7am passing through Interlaken Ost, Grindelwald and then Grindelwald Grund to take the train to Kleine Scheidegg. My question here is, if I do that and buy the tickets for the Jungfraujoch at the Kleine Scheidegg station, I will have a problem that the tickets are all sold out, considering that I am going in full August. Will there be some way to book the train online and with the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland discount?

2. Can the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland be purchased for 3 days or only from 4?

And an additional question: when I finish that pass the next day I leave from Interlaken West to Zurich, here do you recommend me to buy the Saver Day Pass for trains and buy tickets directly there, or better buy them in advance?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 June 2019 at 21:02:53 #914964

1. You don’t have to wait to get to Kleine Scheidegg to buy a ticket. You can buy it at any station. Get it the day before you plan to go if the forecast is good. You can also get a seat reservation if you like.

2. Yes – see http://www.myswissalps.com/re gionalpassberneseoberl and.

Jlobo94
    Participant
    7 posts
    21 June 2019 at 22:42:26 #914965

Rockoyster, thank you so much for helping me.

I am looking forward to travelling there already haha

Best Regards,

Joan.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 June 2019 at 22:45:38 #914966

You’re welcome, Joan. Enjoy your trip and maybe send us a report of your experiences when you get home. 😎

Annika
    7116 posts
    22 June 2019 at 10:22:48 #914967

Hi Joan,

Rockoyster already helped you out very well. Here is just some additional information:

• you’d indeed best get your Jungfraujoch tickets once you’re pretty sure weather will be good enough. If so, you can either purchase your tickets at a railway station or online . Tickets don’t guarantee a seat though, so if you’re concerned about crowds during sunny days in August, you can consider seat reservations too. Please see myswissalps.com/jungfr aujoch/tickets for more information;
    • a Saver Day Pass will indeed be cheaper than regular tickets for the journey Interlaken West-Zurich. You can get it at the Interlaken West railway station or online: myswissalps.com/saverd aypass/price.
    Jlobo94
    Participant
    7 posts
    22 June 2019 at 16:14:55 #914968

Annika,

Thank you so much. Your info is very useful!

I will put into practice all the advice provided.

Best Regards,

Joan.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2019 at 19:41:18 #914969

I went up first train two days ago (June). The weather was not supposed to be good. The first gondola at 7:07 was ~40% full, mostly with climbers / not tourists (like me). I had the whole place to myself from 8-9:45. As I was leaving at 10:00, the incoming gondola was +100% full inclusive of two two groups – they likely paid for the privilege of going up THAT DAY so here they were.

Therefore, my advice: it will be a zoo in August irregardless of the weather. If you want to go up, do not pre-buy but do get the first gondola. If you’re going solely for the best quality pictures you may have to put up with massive crowds.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 June 2019 at 20:58:00 #914970

Which mountain are you talking about doveswiss? You mention train and gondola so that’s not Jungfraujoch. But your zoo prediction is most likely accurate for anywhere in August.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2019 at 4:22:03 #914971

Apologies got my visits confused, I was first up both Jungfrau and L’Aguille du Midi, but the concept was the same at both this week – arriving early beats crowds and means no need to pre-buy. In August I’d probably consider pre-buying the night before if able.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2019 at 14:22:57 #914972

Will the crowd be better if i am visiting in mid sept ?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 June 2019 at 20:50:13 #914973

It shouldn’t be as crowded in September as in the peak August tourist season, for sure.

fionatravel
    Participant
    88 posts
    23 June 2019 at 22:44:52 #914974

I am very new in terms of research on passes as I am in the beginning of planning phase ! Thought if you have a Swiss train pass you would get discount on those tickets! Is saver day pass a better deal than the discounted tickets?

Thanks

Fionatravel

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 June 2019 at 22:59:02 #914975

Hi Fiona,

Have a look at my most recent post on your other thread. Best not to hop on other people’s threads. Always best to post a new thread if you have specific questions because the subject will attract responses tailored to your question. 😉

fionatravel
    Participant
    88 posts
    24 June 2019 at 0:57:27 #914976

I see. Sorry I thought I have questions regards to the reply here !

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 June 2019 at 3:50:59 #914977

Hi Fiona,

No need to apologise. I wasn’t intending to chastise, just to provide some advice. Annika’s comment above was not related to the broad issue of selecting the best pass overall. It was just confirming in that particular case a Saver Day Pass would be cheaper than a full fare ticket.

• The thread ‘How far in advance to make Jungfrau reservations?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.