Jungfraujoch & SIM card for late-November trip

• Jenn_chuah
    Participant
    112 posts
    3 September 2022 at 14:34:37 #828240

Hi, I am currently finalising my itinerary for my visit on 22 Nov to 18 Dec 2022.

Appreciate if I could get some advice on the following:

1) Any promotion for SIM card during this period?

2) I plan to make the trip to Jungfraujoch on 29 Nov if the weather permits. I will be in Grindelwald & Lautebrunnen on 28 Nov and stay overnight at Grindelwald. On 29 Nov I will take the cable car from Grindelwald Terminal to Eiger and then cogwheel train up to Jungfraujoch. On the return trip, I would like to take the train from Jungfraujoch to Kleine Scheidegg and back to Grindelwald.

– Is this route workable?

– How much for a normal return ticket for this trip in November?

– I just have to buy the ticket to Jungfraujoch and the same ticket will allow me to take both cable car and train, right?

– What is the temperature at Jungfraujoch in Nov?

– Since it is winter, what time does it get dark at the mountain top?

– For visit to Jungfraujoch, is it better to reach the mountain top in the morning or afternoon?

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    3 September 2022 at 15:54:48 #946379

Hi Jenn Chuah,

1. I am not aware of any promotion for the SIM card during this period. You can always check for the latest updates here: http://www.myswissalps.com/simcard

2. Grindelwald Terminal – Jungfraujoch via Eiger Express, then Jungfraujoch – Grindelwald via Kleine Scheidegg (cogwheel train). Yes, this is a doable. You can find more details about the routes to Jungfraujoch here: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfraujoch/gettingthere

3. For information about tickets to Jungfraujoch: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfraujoch/tickets

4. Yes, a return ticket to Jungfraujoch is valid on the Eiger Express as well as the cogwheel train.

5. The weather in Jungfraujoch at the end of Nov will probably be freezing or near freezing considering it is winter. Be sure to check the weather forecast and the mountain webcam before your trip.

6. In winter it gets dark early. In November, sunset is probably around 4pm in the Jungfrau region. You can find further details about the seasonal weather here: http://www.myswissalps.com/besttimetovisit

7. In my opinion, the best time to visit the Jungfraujoch is in the morning so I could spend the rest of day making other plans. But this is a personal choice and depends on your itinerary for the day as well.

Hope this gives you some ideas for your trip planning.

Regards,

Anna

Jenn_chuah
    Participant
    112 posts
    3 September 2022 at 15:59:24 #946380

Thanks, Anna. Will look into the links you provided.

Felix_suroso
    Participant
    26 posts
    6 September 2022 at 4:43:03 #946381

Hi Anna, in regards to Jungfraujoch, I would like to ask also.

I am planning to take Eiger Express to Eigergletscher and then up to Jungfraujoch, but on the return trip I would like to visit Wengen. How do I do that?

I have Swiss Travel Pass so how much would it cost? Do I have to buy 2 separate ticket, 1 for going up , and separate for going down (since going down to Wengen)? Thank you

Anna
    6382 posts
    6 September 2022 at 7:31:40 #946382

Hi Felix suroso,

If you wish to visit Wengen on the return trip from Jungfraujoch, you should take the cogwheel train to Kleine Scheidegg then switch to the Wengenalpbahn which goes to Lauterbrunnen via Wengen.

In short, your route would be: Jungfraujoch – Eigergletscher – Kleine Scheidegg – Wengen. You can use the SBB timetable to plan your journey.

More details on how to plan a return trip to Jungfraujoch here: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfraujoch/gettingthere

Regards,

Anna

Felix_suroso
    Participant
    26 posts
    6 September 2022 at 9:21:09 #946383

Thanks for the Information Anna. I’ve checked from the link you provided, “The cogwheel train between Wengen and Kleine Scheidegg doesn’t operate from November 1 to December 3 2021, from April 25 to May 6 2022, and from November 7 to December 2 2022.” So I guess this plan is not possible for me, so back to return trip Grindelwald – Jungfraujoch using Eiger Express then. Thanks a lot anyways!

Anna
    6382 posts
    6 September 2022 at 15:49:06 #946384

Hi Felix suroso,

Oh no, that’s quite unfortunate. The other option would be to travel back to Grindelwald then take a train to Wengen via Zweilutschinen. The journey takes about 1 hour. But I think you’ll find it very scenic.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Jungfraujoch & SIM card for late-November trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.