Jungfraujoch sleeping option if I miss last train

Jungfraujoch sleeping option if I miss last train

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
coachmacca
coachmacca
3 posts
May 3, 2017 - 10:02 AM

Hi all, sorry if this is already covered I couldn't see it.

We are climbing Monch and plan to return via JungfrauJoch train back to KS but we may miss the last one (16:43 I think?) . if so does anyone know if there is space (informal even) to sleep and if its done? (I am thinking about the Midi station in Chamonix where is it not uncommon for climbers to sleep there if they miss the last train.

Many thanks for any / all feedback or info!

Snowman
Snowman
228 posts
May 4, 2017 - 6:55 AM in reply to coachmacca

I coachmacca,

Not knowing you, I can only advise you to use the services of a professional mountain guide. He or she will know the answer to your questions. You can enquire for instance here:

www.grindelwaldsports. ch/en/moench-4107m.html

Yes, it will cost CHF 455 per person if you are two. I can't encourage climbing a 4107-m peak based on internet information only. Let's give top priority to your safety!

Annika
Annika
4992 posts
expert &
May 4, 2017 - 8:29 AM in reply to coachmacca

Hi coachmacca,

You may have a look at the relatively nearby Mönchjochshütte, at about 45 minutes from the Jungfraujoch: www.moenchsjoch.ch/en.

Snowman
Snowman
228 posts
May 4, 2017 - 8:58 AM in reply to coachmacca

Most accidents take place in the afternoon. You must reach the top before noon. There still will be trains when you are down at the Joch.

Check this out:

www.swissrockguides.co m/monch.htm

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5007 posts
expert
May 4, 2017 - 9:13 AM in reply to coachmacca

Hi coachmacca-

Snowman is rightly concerned about your experience level.

One has to be careful about giving advice on dangerous climbs, and there have been deaths on the Mönch.

Slowpoke

PS - And, i checked on a random date in July, and the last train down is at 1713.

Last modified on May 4, 2017 - 9:24 AM by Slowpoke
coachmacca
coachmacca
3 posts
May 4, 2017 - 4:27 PM

Thanks folks , no need to be concerned on my climbing experience , its merely a question about the opportunities as we like to have back up plans beyond bivvi (Plan B) and the hut below the south ridge (Plan A)

I was perhaps not very clear in my question - does (like we do in Chamonix) the station have space to sleep if absolutely necessary (i.e on the floor ) we have bags/matt and bivvi

Doers any0ne have such helpful info ? .

(we are climbing Nollen route so hope that gives some idea of my experience level).

Arno
Arno
11161 posts
expert &
May 4, 2017 - 5:17 PM in reply to coachmacca

Hi coachmacca,

That's indeed serious stuff! My guess would be that the station and all other facilities at Jungfraujoch are closed and inaccessible for the night. But to be sure you could contact the Jungfrau Railways to check with them.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5007 posts
expert
May 4, 2017 - 8:23 PM in reply to coachmacca

Thanks for the explanation of your experience level. My guess is that a guide would have keys to the buildings at Jungfraujoch.

Slowpoke

coachmacca
coachmacca
3 posts
May 4, 2017 - 9:27 PM

Thanks guys , we will aim to be back in time or if tired head to the hut .. . Bivvi as last resort .. Appreciate the beta :)

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018