Jungfraujoch sleeping option if I miss last train

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2017 at 10:02:39 #811660

Hi all, sorry if this is already covered I couldn’t see it.

We are climbing Monch and plan to return via JungfrauJoch train back to KS but we may miss the last one (16:43 I think?) . if so does anyone know if there is space (informal even) to sleep and if its done? (I am thinking about the Midi station in Chamonix where is it not uncommon for climbers to sleep there if they miss the last train.

Many thanks for any / all feedback or info!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    4 May 2017 at 6:55:49 #862708

I coachmacca,

Not knowing you, I can only advise you to use the services of a professional mountain guide. He or she will know the answer to your questions. You can enquire for instance here:

http://www.grindelwaldsports. ch/en/moench-4107m.html

Yes, it will cost CHF 455 per person if you are two. I can’t encourage climbing a 4107-m peak based on internet information only. Let’s give top priority to your safety!

Annika
    7124 posts
    4 May 2017 at 8:29:13 #862709

Hi coachmacca,

You may have a look at the relatively nearby Mönchjochshütte, at about 45 minutes from the Jungfraujoch: http://www.moenchsjoch.ch/en.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    4 May 2017 at 8:58:47 #862710

Most accidents take place in the afternoon. You must reach the top before noon. There still will be trains when you are down at the Joch.

Check this out:

http://www.swissrockguides.co m/monch.htm

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 May 2017 at 9:13:44 #862711

Hi coachmacca-

Snowman is rightly concerned about your experience level.

One has to be careful about giving advice on dangerous climbs, and there have been deaths on the Mönch.

Slowpoke

PS – And, i checked on a random date in July, and the last train down is at 1713.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2017 at 16:27:17 #862712

Thanks folks , no need to be concerned on my climbing experience , its merely a question about the opportunities as we like to have back up plans beyond bivvi (Plan B) and the hut below the south ridge (Plan A)

I was perhaps not very clear in my question – does (like we do in Chamonix) the station have space to sleep if absolutely necessary (i.e on the floor ) we have bags/matt and bivvi

Doers any0ne have such helpful info ? .

(we are climbing Nollen route so hope that gives some idea of my experience level).

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 May 2017 at 17:17:00 #862713

Hi coachmacca,

That’s indeed serious stuff! My guess would be that the station and all other facilities at Jungfraujoch are closed and inaccessible for the night. But to be sure you could contact the Jungfrau Railways to check with them.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 May 2017 at 20:23:23 #862714

Thanks for the explanation of your experience level. My guess is that a guide would have keys to the buildings at Jungfraujoch.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2017 at 21:27:40 #862715

Thanks guys , we will aim to be back in time or if tired head to the hut .. . Bivvi as last resort .. Appreciate the beta 🙂

• The thread ‘Jungfraujoch sleeping option if I miss last train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.