Jungfraujoch to Mönchsjochhütte crampons needed?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2019 at 21:56:56 #819894

I am planning to walk from Jungfraujoch to Mönchsjochhütte in September and wondering if crampons would be helpful, or not necessary? I have good quality German hiking boots and some experience walking in snow, and I realise it will basically be summer and the trail is groomed. Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2019 at 5:44:15 #904080

Hi AitchAitch

I believe that crampons are not necessary to walk from the Jungfraujoch to the Mönchsjochhütte, as the trail is groomed, as you say. Should there be to much snow or another risk of any kind the operator of the Jungfraujoch might in the worst case close the trail all together. Otherwise your hiking boots will be sufficient.

Hope this makes your luggage a little lighter. 🙂

Happy hiking.

Best,

Steph

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    12 February 2019 at 19:58:51 #904081

Hi.

I’ve done this walk several times and you don’t need crampons. As already noted, the trail is groomed and no special gear is required. You won’t have any problems, but you must stay on the path due to a rather large crevasse most people don’t realize is there.

Have fun

Alan

• The thread ‘Jungfraujoch to Mönchsjochhütte crampons needed?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.