Jungfraujoch trip incl. 2 day Aletsch Glacier hike

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2017 at 17:02:05 #810665

I will have a car with 1 week in Grindelwald,

I have 2 adults and 2 kids aged 13 and 15.

Main purpose of trip is the 2 day Aletsch Glacier hike. I need to get the family 1 way to Jungfraujoch. Train ride back to Grindelwald from Fiesch.

Also though about lift to Grindelwald First

Lift to Pfingstegg

Lift to Schilthorn.

I am considering the half fare card, and the free family card. Is this the best idea? Also how many of the cards do I need to buy for a family?

thank you,

Dan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    25 January 2017 at 17:13:31 #858455

Hi Dan,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! For drivers, the Swiss Half Fare Card is often the best option. I think so in your case as well. You only need two of them for the adults. You can order along the free Swiss Family Card which allows the kids to travel along with you for free everywhere you go.

You can print the cards at home via http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. They ask to fill out passenger ages and you can tick the Family Card box. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the cards within 1-3 business days.

Note that the car can’t be used much around Grindelwald as most of the region is car free. You could use it to drive to Stechelberg for the Schilthorn trip, but there are much more scenic ways to get there via cableways and trains. E.g. via Männlichen, then Lauterbrunnen – Mürren – Schilthorn, and finally down to Stechelberg.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2017 at 17:18:10 #858456

thank you for the fast answer!!

i am having a hard time trying to figure out what the price will be with the half fare card and the family card to get to the top of Jungfrau. If we go on the early train for that discount and than use our half fare cards will adults be 50% off and the children free?

thank you,

Arno
    15471 posts
    25 January 2017 at 17:33:34 #858457

You’re welcome Dan! You’ll find a link to prices at the bottom of the Jungfraujoch ticket page. A single ride costs CHF 95 any time of the day. So you will pay half of that per adult, and the children go free.

Discounts on early trains only apply to return tickets and people without a pass. You will have the Swiss Half Fare Card, so you’ll get a better discount than that, regardless of when you travel.

• The thread ‘Jungfraujoch trip incl. 2 day Aletsch Glacier hike’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.