Jungfraujoch webcams showing new cable car

• Hudspith
    Participant
    71 posts
    6 November 2020 at 15:08:04 #825730

Sorry couldn’t amend title to read Jungfraujoch webcams showing new cable car

As some of you may know I avidly look at the Top of Europe webcam every day for my “fix” of Switzerland and I noticed the addition of a new on the site. It shows the development of the new Eiger Express aerial cable system being built at the moment – I am sure this will be an exciting way (no doubt expensive though). Here is some of the information taken from the Top of Europe websiteand a photo to give a bit of background – but I suspect the opening date of December 2020 may be delayed due to the challenges of 2020. Looking forward to the first reports of using it.

Spot the cable car 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6274 posts
    6 November 2020 at 18:55:38 #934432

Hi Hudspith,

Thanks for the info.

Yes, the Eiger Express is set to open on 5 December 2020, transporting guests from the terminal in Grindelwald Grund to the Eigergletscher station in 15 minutes. From the Eigergletscher station, it takes just 47 minutes to get to Jungfraujoch. If you’re interested in more details, more info are available here: v-bahn.jungfrau.ch/en/v-bahn/eiger-express

It’s been a challenging year indeed and we’re all hoping things will get back to normal eventually. I will definitely be sharing my experience when and if I get the chance to try out this new cable car once it is operational.

Regards,

Anna

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    7 November 2020 at 1:53:30 #934433

Thanks for posting that. When we were there Sept of 2019 we saw all the activity (including helicopters) working on it.

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 November 2020 at 7:01:32 #934434

Hi everyone,

It’s an impressive project! The Eiger Express is part of the “V-Bahn” project. The other part is the rebuilt Männlichen gondola route. Both cable cars depart from the same location, hence the V-shape. Everything about the classic and new route to Jungfraujoch, including a map, can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfraujoch/gettingthere.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    8 November 2020 at 16:27:34 #934435

Thank you all for the most impressive links and information! Only the Swiss would be able to complete such an ambitious mountain construction project in such a short time frame.

There is a description on the official site of “The Wengernalp Railway is running six new panorama trains every 30 minutes on the Lauterbrunnen-Kleine Scheidegg route. From 2021, a Wengen shuttle will be available.”

Does anyone know what they mean by “a Wengen shuttle”? I’m assuming that the new train cars will continue to use the existing rail tracks connecting Lauterbrunnen-Wengen-Kleine Scheidegg? Or is that an incorrect assumption?

Positively cannot WAIT for freedom of travel once again!!!

Anna
    6274 posts
    9 November 2020 at 6:31:18 #934436

Hi Kim11,

The Eiger Express brings travellers straight to the Eigergletscher station from the Grindelwald terminal in 15 minutes. When the Eiger Express becomes operational, it will shift the flow of travellers/ passengers using the cog railway (which is currently the main transportation on the Lauterbrunnen – Kleine Scheidegg route). From my understanding, the Wengenalp Bahn plans to introduce short services between Wengen and the Eigergletscher station to cater for this possible change. We’ll try and update this information again once it becomes available.

Regards,

Anna

Mschwalbe
    Participant
    107 posts
    9 November 2020 at 13:34:47 #934437

Hi Hudspith!

I had to laugh when I read your original message, expressing your ‘daily fix’ of Switzerland, via webcams!! I share that with you!! I long so much to go back to Switzerland that I also look at webcams of the mountains (I love the ones of Mürren) nearly every day when I get up. Then later in the day, when it is afternoon (for me in Montreal), I sometimes see the Alps turn into a beautiful dark orange-pink, as the sun is setting…

Thanks for the info on the new Eiger Express!

Take care,

Monica, Montréal, Québec, Canada

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    9 November 2020 at 16:26:41 #934438

Ah, thanks for the explanation, Anna. It sounds as thought this new service will probably use the existing tracks (so Wengen-Allmend-Wengernalp-KleineScheidegg-Eigergletscher) but perhaps run more frequently. I believe that route now only runs twice an hour and, during some parts of the day, only once an hour.

A huge benefit for Wengen fans is that this change will likely drive the large tour groups that base in Interlaken through Grindelwald Grund on their trips to Jungfraujoch. That should help ease some of the peak time crowding one sees in Wengen. My guess is that it could even drive more of the large group tour overnight business to Grindelwald rather than Wengen. If that’s the case, it is not good news for Wengen hotels. But demand there is so strong that hopefully it won’t hurt their businesses much. That would be a real shame after the long effects that COVID 19 is having on the tourist industry everywhere

EvelynM
    Participant
    79 posts
    12 November 2020 at 11:06:51 #934439

Thanks for the updates….all my plans for 2020 had to be cancelled, given the Covid situation I hope to be there in 2022

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 November 2020 at 11:08:44 #934440

The bad news is it will make it even easier for hoards of people to visit an environmentally sensitive area…

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 November 2020 at 11:14:42 #934441

There will be no need to build yet another railway line. It will just be a modified train service on the normal WAB line. The panoramic trains already exist. I presume the plan is to put them mainly on the Wengen side as they will not be needed on the Grindelwald side due to the new cable car.

• The thread ‘Jungfraujoch webcams showing new cable car’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.