Jungfraujoch/Schilthorn temperatures in September

• SD_Traveler
    Participant
    8 posts
    7 May 2023 at 16:10:50 #829787

My spouse and I will be traveling to the Berner Oberland region the first week in September and will be taking trains, funiculars and cable cars to various higher elevations.

What are the typical temperatures on mountaintop stations such as Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn during that time of year? How much different are temperatures at the towns and villages at lower levels such as Gimmelwald, Mürren and Lauterbrunnen?

Are temperatures similar in other regions at mountaintop attractions such as Matterhorn Glacial Paradise and Gornergrat?

Should we anticipate needing heavy coats and gloves at these highest elevations or are light jackets adequate?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Yolanda
    2333 posts
    7 May 2023 at 19:23:17 #954200

Hi SD Traveler,

Weather in the mountains can be quite unpredictable, it really can change quickly.

As you have gathered, temperatures at the mountain tops are usually colder than the villages further down in the region. For example today at Jungfraujoch it was -2.8°C. Further down in Mürren it was 7.7°C and in Lauterbrunnen it was 9.8. Schilthorn had low of 2 °C and a high of 10 °C

Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn during September will be cooler. Jungfraujoch temperatures are on average -4.8°C /0.3°C. Schilthorn on average, -1°C / 9°C. For Gornergrat 3°C / -2°C, the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise, -1°C / -6°C

I hope this gives you a bit of an idea.

Clothes wise, depending how you are with the cold and if you are planning to walk outside at the top of Jungfraujoch for example. I would bring boots, a warmer jacket and/or have a couple good warm layers under a raincoat. Once further down, it will be warmer and it could well be, you are fine to dress in just a few layers and a sweater.

I think, it would be worthwhile, perhaps during the last week of August to take a look at the weather forecast for your destinations. The five-day forecast from Meteo Swiss is quite reliable. You can find the link to the official website here: https://www.myswissalps.com/weather/forecast

This link will help you too: https://www.myswissalps.com/weather

In addition, it’s always helpful to check the mountain webcams before your trip.

Remember too, it’s best to decide to go to a mountain top, based on the weather that day (or forecasts from a day or so before).

Kind regards,

Yolanda

• The thread ‘Jungfraujoch/Schilthorn temperatures in September’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.