Jungfraujoch trip if weather is bad?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2019 at 20:04:31 #822576

Hello,

I am in the last leg of my Switzerland trip and so far it has been nothing short of breathtaking.

Tomorrow, I am planning to do the one day trip to Jungfraujoch mentioned on this website. However, the weather does not look promising.

Should I continue with my plan for tomorrow or skip the hikes or do something else?

Looking for suggestions!

Thank you,

Ujjwal

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    30 June 2019 at 20:54:32 #916564

Hello Ujjwal,

Thunderstorms are likely tomorrow in the Jungfrau area.

From what you write, you seem to have planned to go to Jungfraujoch and do hikes. However, going to Jungfraujoch is a train ride that does not involve hikes. The decision is all yours and depends on various criteria, such as: will you ever have another chance in your life? My suggestions are:

– As you are in the area now (I presume) ask the local tourist office, or your hotel staff, about the weather forecast for tomorrow.

– If you are alone don’t go on any hike by thunderstorm or bad weather.

– Consider that if the weather is bad the Jungfraujoch will be less crowded. Mountains have their magic during thunderstorms, and, given that you are planning a train trip to a place with just viewing terrace (everything else is indoors or underground) you risk absolutely nothing.

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2019 at 9:54:42 #916565

Hello Ujjwal,

I assume and hope you’ve found a nice trip to do today in the Jungfrau Region.

Thunderstorms normally occur in the later afternoon/early evening, when the heat of the day and the humidity accumulate and break out as thunderstorms.

The altitude of the Jungfraujoch or any other mountain will, however, provide you with some nice, natural airconditioning .

Hope you’re having a great day.

Best,
    Steph

See some possible alternatives on:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/on edayjungfrauregion

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2019 at 15:41:55 #916566

I did went Jungfraujoch on 27 Jun, weather is good and I want to go for Eiger trail. However, the lady in the counter office told me that Eiger trail is not open yet. Thus, I only take short walk from Eigergletscher to Kleine Scheidegg.

• The thread ‘Jungfraujoch trip if weather is bad?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.