Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Swiss Junior Travelcard and Bernese Oberland Pass

Swiss Junior Travelcard and Bernese Oberland Pass

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
LeslieR
LeslieR
4 posts
Jul 22, 2019 - 2:29 PM

Hi -

My 15 yr. old son & I have the following itinerary:

Day 1: Zurich Airport to Lucerne (Boat tour on Lake Brienz)

Day 2: Lucerne to Wengen (Potentially stop for Boat tour on Lake Brienz on the way)

Days 3-5: Base in Wengen. While there we plan to

• Hike Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg , Continue hike up to Mannlichen then Gondola back to Wengen
  • Schynige Platte to First
  • Hikefrom Grutschalp to Murren. Weather permitting continue up to Schilthorn

Day 6 : Train to Bern (short visit) and then on to Zurich (overnight Zurich)

Day 7: Zurich - end of day train to Zurich Airport

I think best rail option will be individual ticket from Airport to Luzern, 6 day BO Regional pass (as it covers some additional travel in Schynige Platte, Kline Scheidegg and Schilthorn area) and then individual ticket from Bern to Zurich and then to the Zurich airport the following day. Please advise if this looks wrong. For my son I plan to purchase a Jr. Travel Card for 30CHF. When purchasing on the SBB site it looks like it is coupled with the pass - as I need to enter the 6 days the pass will be valid for, does that mean the Jr. card will only be valid on those 6 days as well? Should I buy separately? Trying to figure out how he travels free for side tickets (to/from Lucerne, Bern, airport)? THANK YOU!! Any itinerary adjustments also welcome.

Krist
Krist
5 posts
Jul 22, 2019 - 2:36 PM

The Junior card can only be bought at the station, not on line. So you are looking at something different.

What you are probably looking at is the Children BO pass, which is an addition to the Berner Oberland regional pass that you need because the STS Family card, and the Junior card are not valid on the Berner Oberland Regional Pass. And these will indeed always be coupled to an adult BO pass.

LeslieR
LeslieR
4 posts
Jul 22, 2019 - 2:53 PM in reply to Krist

Thank you so much for the reply. So do I then need a regional child pass for BO travel and a jr travel card for the other tickets?

Steph
Steph
2031 posts
top member &
Jul 23, 2019 - 10:07 AM in reply to LeslieR

Hello LeslieR,

Indeed you would need the children's Pass for the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland, for CHF 30.-, as the Junior Travel Card is not valid in combination with the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland. See below links for input on the topic and details on the pass:
- www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/help-with-childrens-co-travelcard-train-fares
- www.myswissalps.com/re gionalpassberneseoberl and/price

Have you looked at the possible combination of a Swiss Half Fare Card for yourself and a Swiss Family Card (for free) for your son?
- www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard
- www.myswissalps.com/sw issfamilycard

For detailed calculations please find a helpful spreadsheet in below link:
- www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

Best,
Steph

Last modified on Jul 23, 2019 - 10:09 AM by Steph

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019