Kandersteg and other plans unsure, best rail pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2020 at 10:48:05 #825176

Hello. Does someone have time to advise me on our upcoming trip to Switzerland? I’m running out of time to research myself. We’re a family of four (children 14 and 12). We arrive at Zurich airport on the evening of Sunday, Feb 16 and wish to take a train that night to Kandersteg. I’ve identified the train (one stop in Bern). I can see the standard prices on the website. The problem is, our itinerary for the next week is open – we hope to ski in Kandersteg for at least three days, then perhaps travel by trains to one or two other places in Switzerland (going on local recommendations) before flying home from Zurich on Feb 24. Is a rail pass the best thing? Which one? Or will standard price tickets be best if we don’t have firm plans. If we love Kandersteg, we may stay for the entire time, with just one return journey to Zurich. Will a pass still pay off? Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 February 2020 at 11:33:16 #929912

Hi Trish,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Without an itinerary I’d personally opt for two Swiss Half Fare Cards. It will get the adults 50% discounts on nearly all trips. The children will travel along for free because you can order along the free Swiss Family Card. Please see:

Zurich airport to Kandersteg normally costs CHF 78 per adult. With a Saver Day Pass, holders of a Swiss Half Fare Card only pay CHF 48 (today’s price): http://www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass.

Skiing in Kandersteg will most likely not be possible. Did you check with the tourist office or your hotel? This winter is extremely warm unfortunately. There’s hardly any snow in Kandersteg at the moment, and all winter sports facilities are closed.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2020 at 12:02:57 #929913

Hi Arno,

Thank you. Well, the skiing was just for our children, who are absolute beginners. I’ve booked (but not paid) for a lesson through a Kandersteg ski school and they didn’t mention no snow. Maybe they are hoping! My husband and I prefer hiking, so no snow required…luckily we’ve only booked a hotel for three nights, so can go elsewhere to enjoy Switzerland, or even Germany, by train. I’ll read more of your forum for ideas. Good advice re. passes.

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 February 2020 at 14:24:15 #929914

Hi Trish,

Perhaps they have a small slope and a snowblower just in case, that might be sufficient for beginners’ lessons. For further inspiration, be sure to check the top menu, particularity “Where to go” and “What to do”. That will get you info much quicker than browsing the forum section only. The search box is handy too.

Have fun and feel free to post back here in case of any qustions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 February 2020 at 21:51:02 #929915

Arno said “Zurich airport to Kandersteg normally costs CHF 78 per adult. With a Saver Day Pass, holders of a Swiss Half Fare Card only pay CHF 48 (today’s price)” but a half-fare point-to-point ticket is only CHF39. See http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/checking-train-timetables.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2020 at 9:00:35 #929916

Thank you both for your responses. However, I must be stupid because I remain very confused about what to do and how the passes combine – too many choices I think….! I have downloaded the app though.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 February 2020 at 9:38:19 #929917

You’re on the right track then. 😉

Standard advice says . . . . Based on your personal itinerary you should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math. The spreadsheet also includes links to the “Where it’s valid” page for all available passes. Be sure to check those pages for each pass you are considering. Study the map AND read all the text on those pages to fully understand what is covered by the respective pass.

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 February 2020 at 12:53:14 #929918

@Rockoyster: Thanks for catching that price!

@ Trish: there’s been some snowfall so hopefully things work out for you. It’s still way too warm, so no snow in the valley, but up the mountain it might be alright. Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2020 at 17:30:20 #929919

Hi everyone. We were very lucky to have a snowfall in Kandersteg during our stay. Two excellent days of skiing. We’re now in beautiful Lucerne during carnival. As New Zealanders, we wonder why people want to come to our country when you have such stunning scenery here. One observation is that the people here are so reserved! They are almost frightened when we say hello! Tonight we found carnival people dressed as characters from Lord of the Rings and when we tried to talk to them, one man made to spit on the ground rather than speak in English. All staff in restaurants and hotels are very nice but we are shocked how the general public shy away from friendly greetings. Back to Italy for us!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2020 at 17:47:08 #929920

I’d like to add that the Half Price rail card was well worth it and we have found the Swiss rail system to be excellent.

Anna
    6279 posts
    21 February 2020 at 17:57:27 #929921

Hi Trish,

That’s wonderful that you had snow during your visit in Kandersteg. It’s been rather warm this winter and I’m a bit disappointed there isn’t much snow on the mountains where we usually go snowboarding 🙁

I’m glad you finally figured out how the Swiss Half Fare Card works. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip and if you have time, please share your experience!

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Kandersteg and other plans unsure, best rail pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.