Travelling from Kandersteg – Gemmipass

• SummitClym
    Participant
    41 posts
    11 October 2019 at 18:19:01 #824158

Is it possible to get from Kandersteg to Gemmipass fully with gondola or bus? If there is a section where foot travel is required, how long and difficult can I expect. I’m planning travel from Kendersteg to Zermatt with non-hikers and Kendersteg to Gemmipass is the only section I have not previously traveled.

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6351 posts
    11 October 2019 at 19:50:08 #923504

Hi SummitClym,

I’m not sure if you are planning to hike the Gemmipass or just asking about how to get to the Gemmipass from Kandersteg.

The Gemmipass hike is a 8.5km trail between Leukerbad in the Valais region and Kandersteg in Bernese Oberland. I haven’t hiked this trail yet, my kids complain it takes too long to walk so I have no personal experience. You can start the hike from either point but most travellers prefer to start from Leukerbad as the trail is mostly downhill heading to Kandersteg.

To get to the start of the trail, take public transport to Leukerbad (it is a car-free village), then take the Gemmibahn or Gemmi cable car up. The trail begins right at the top and ends at the Sünnbuel cable car station on the other side of the mountain. You simply take the cable car down to Kandersteg.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ka ndervalley

You can find more details of the hike from the Gemmibahn website (there’s an option for English).

I hope this answers your question 🙂 Otherwise feel free to ask again.

Be sure to check this link on Zermatt when you plan your journey.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ze rmatt/travel

Cheers,

Anna

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 October 2019 at 0:49:26 #923505

<<“f there is a section where foot travel is required, how long and

difficult can I expect. I’m planning travel from Kendersteg to Zermatt

with non-hikers and Kendersteg to Gemmipass is the only section I have

not previously traveled”>>

It’s a hike. Definitely takes significant effort. See topo map:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisst opo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&zoom=4&E=26 14730.00&N=1144501.64

and

map.wanderland.ch/?lang=de&route=all&bgLa yer=pk&resolution=50&p hotos=yes&logo=yes&sea son=summer&layers=Wand erland&E=2610661&N=113 6208

By the way, it is Kandersteg, not Kendersteg.

Slowpoke

SummitClym
    Participant
    41 posts
    12 October 2019 at 4:55:28 #923506

“By the way, it is Kandersteg, not Kendersteg”

Yes, typo misspelling. I got right on first sentence fwiw.

Thanks

SummitClym
    Participant
    41 posts
    12 October 2019 at 4:58:15 #923507

Thanks for the reply. I was just in Kandersteg three weeks ago but didn’t get a chance to go to Gemmipass. So there is a walk required. May have to rethink plans. BTW, Leukerbad has cars and an access road that would make the Amalfi Coast envious.

• The thread ‘Travelling from Kandersteg – Gemmipass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.